Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Logo motorcycle magazine
    B
    As HotButton says, it's really only part of the Harley Davidson crowd who dress up in the tough guy costumes. Neither BMW nor Ducati riders, for example, would be caught dead looking like them.
    Today, 05:06 PM
  • dotta
    Reply to hyperlinking multiple images with php
    dotta
    You are correct in saying that. I'm using wordpress to make my webcomic, so I'm having to rewrite the code with each page.

Here's the website: http://jessaandnora.com/

I will...
    Today, 04:19 PM
  • HotButton
    HotButton
    Igh...I believe Moto Rivista is aimed more at the "Cafe Racer" mindset, as opposed to unwashed costumed chest thumping whiners.

In any case, sorry Creare, but I think this is a...
    Today, 03:57 PM
  • typo
    Reply to Typography resources.
    typo
    Hey there guys,
    Talking about mixing fonts, I just found this book (The big book of font combinations only in pdf version as far as I can see) and I was wondering, Is there any good alternative...
    Today, 03:14 PM
  • Momoshy
    Momoshy
    Hey, what kind of magazine is this?
    Because, when I think of motorcycles, I think of very macho men, Heavy metal, tatooed men on Harley Davidson style, which I relate to a heavy, raw and straight...
    Today, 03:01 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A transparent in a dark background

Hi guys!
    I designed a logo with gradients and transparences in Illustrator.
    Little transparence and gradient pieces sormounted with the "moltiply" effect.
    You can see the logo is attacched.

Obviously I need to put it in a black (dark) background.
    HOW CAN I DO IT?
    If I put the original logo in a black bkground it loses trenght obviously.
    Thanks!
    Lanky

Here the logo http://www.lankydee.com/01.html

Comment

Looks like you're going to have to get rid of the transparency and design it in tints or screens.

Comment

Pensiur, what do you mean by "tints or screens"?

Comment

This is why logos shouldn't be designed with transparency and effects. You're going to cause a lot of headaches for printers and other designers with this. Try designing the logo without them.

Comment

You completely right, completely. But another designer asked me to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanky View Post
              Pensiur, what do you mean by "tints or screens"?
              It means that instead of having layers overlapping, each little segment that is a different color is going to be it's own individual shape. You then color the shape to be a tint/shade and in this way can give the illusion of overlapping transparency layers.

Here is simplified example:

Comment

*shudders at the thought of reproducing that*

That logo would be a nightmare to reproduce on a sign (or other vinyl cut signage).

You definitely need to use opacity mask(s) for it so you can get the gradients and fades of the colors.. It would take a while to do, but the end result would net the least bit of manipulation down the road depending on the background color you choose.

*shudders again*
                Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Thanks guys, you're completely right

Comment

It wouldn't be impossible to reproduce on a sign.
                    You'd just print it. Flat and boring.
                    This is what I was pointing at in some other thread. Learning to use Illy isn't going to make you a logo designer.
                    While this is cool, it is restrictive.
                    As for the transparency effect over a dark color... did I say restrictive?

Meshes, transparencies, opacity masks, raster effects all ask for trouble when used in logo design. Don't ever EVER expect color matching from process to process or from vendor to vendor. It will never happen.

Also be very careful of tints (or screens) in logos. While a solid PMS and a screen of the same PMS in normal print are considered one plate, in large format they are charged as another color match. Also in large format, tints are matched either by using a pantone tint book (which only has tints ending in 0, like 20% 30% etc) or by just letting the PMS color match fall to the percentage you used. Tints are erratic in large format as they get down into the 20% range. Colors behave weirdly as their CMYK percentages approach zero. Stick with solids or, if you must, zeros. Sign shops won't have a tint book to match cut vinyl stock - unless they do a lot of printing too.

I shudder every time that BP logo comes in the door. If I have time, it becomes a sticker. PITA in vinyl.
                    Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Lanky, I think it's pretty, but needs a bit of changing by the sound of it, to make it easier to print, etc.

Thank you, PD, for the further explanation. I've taken your comment and put it in my notebook of stuff to remember. Yeah, your famous in my mind.
                      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

On another note. This logo won't reproduce well in a smaller size. Logos are designed to be seen in a variety of sizes & formats. If you shrink this logo down, you are going to lose most of the little bits.

I would shrink the logo way down, see what elements remain and redesign & simplify the logo to retain the overall feeling that you want without it being so overly complicated. You could very easily maintain the feeling even while simplifying.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X