Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• murofwoh
    Reply to How to imitate this crackle design/texture for a T-shirt?
    murofwoh
    yes i think the basketball texture idea would be a stretch...
    Today, 09:29 PM
  • 6thSense
    Reply to How to imitate this crackle design/texture for a T-shirt?
    6thSense
    As you stated the first effect was really simple using the pathfinder. Re the brush/distressed look, that portion is still a little vague and has proven to be a tad more difficult than anticipated. You...
    Today, 08:37 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Education Choices/Backgrounds
    seamas
    Same here, except I studied fine art/painting. The theory and history learned during the course of the degree had some overlap with GD.
    I only took some software and computing classes (over the...
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    seamas
    It does look like a bull head.

I would take some time to check out different bull horns.

Different breeds have some interesting shapes.
    Today, 08:08 PM
  • sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    @skribe that strange I viewed my webiste on my macbook and a Imac and windows laptop and on safari chrome and firefox the website showed fine except on IE!!

@kermingmatters I know I...
    Today, 08:08 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS rollover flicker

hi.

just learning about rollovers using css. seems the first time IE does it i get a flicker...than the rest of the browsing section is fine. was wondering what i can do to fix this. my set up has a header with a background image that than has div for each button. each div has a background image...a pic of a letter that then gets a bit of a glow when its rolled over. here is the css i have. would appreciate some suggetions. site can be viewed at www.meshowventures.com

#button1 a {
    width: 104px;
    height: 97px;
    float: left;
    padding-left: 86px;
    background-image: url(images/home1.png);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 85px;
    }

#button1 a:hover {
    width: 104px;
    height: 97px;
    float: left;
    padding-left: 86px;
    background-image: url(images/home2.png);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 85px;
    }
    Its not "Mitch-ed" stupid....its Me-Show.

Because the image has to load before it can be shown. Once loaded, it is cached thus no more flicker.
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

^^What Ckret said.

You can try to solve it using CSS sprites: http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/

Comment

is there a way to do it without sprites?

Comment

Yes. But the way with sprites is better.

The alternative is to use Javascript to preload images.

Comment

Best to use a sprite. javascript would just make the entire thing more complex then it really needs to be.

You should be using CSS rather then javascript for your navigation menu rollovers. Furthermore, a unordered list is more appropriate then divs to mark-up the nav menu.

HTML Code:
              <div id="button1"><a href="index.html" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('Home','','images/home2.png',1)"></a></div>
              <div id="button2"><a href="more.html" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('More','','images/more2.png',1)"></a></div>
              <div id="button3"><a href="view.html" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('View','','images/view2.png',1)"></a></div>
              <div id="button4"><a href="talk.html" onmouseout="MM_swapImgRestore()" onmouseover="MM_swapImage('Talk','','images/talk2.png',1)"></a></div>
            Last edited by tZ; 05-07-2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

The more semantic way to set-up the main nav:

HTML Code:
              <ul id="nav-main">
              	<li class="home"><a href="index.html" title="home">Home</a></li>
              	<li class="more"><a href="more.html" title="more">More</a></li>
              	<li class="view"><a href="view.html" title="view">View</a></li>
              	<li class="talk"><a href="talk.html" title="talk">Talk</a></li>
              </ul>
              The image rollovers should then be applied using the sprite technique as discussed above. There is no need to use javascript for the rollover effect.

Comment

tz

would nav-main hold the background of the tabs? and then each class id would hold the background of the letter....would the li class have a hover class containign the alternate background? will check out sprites more when i get home tongiht?

is anyone having probs viewing the page. its really gets screwed up in IE6.....all the text gets moved down the page....off the white part.....cant figure out why.

Comment

No, you create one large image that will be applied as a background to the anchors. Then you change the backgrounds vertical position on the different states (link,visited,active and hover).

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                  Working...
                  X