Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Is there a member list here?
    <b>
    I wonder if making a few sacrificial offerings -- maybe two or three virgin forum members -- to the new forum gods will help persuade them....
    Today, 01:27 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Best Printer For Graphic Design
    Buda
    How many prints will you be printing per day? Per week? Per month?

You're looking for a wide format inkjet and make sure you check out what types of inks are available. More likely, you will...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hi All!! Want to shift career to Graphic designing
    Buda
    Surely there is something that attracted you to graphic design. What was it? Maybe there is a niche you could be focusing your energy into learning.

The shortcut to learn "graphic design"...
    Today, 12:48 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to Redundancy & Entropy
    ISitude
    That is at the heart of the matter ... subjectivity and your perception as a graphic designer to (re)interpret and communicate.

The math side of this issue I think is not your teacher's literal...
    Today, 12:35 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hot Topics
    Buda
    Hi Cole Ericson and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
    Today, 12:20 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jQuery Lavalamp Effect

Right, after several fruitless hours I figured I would trouble the kind people of GDF for their thoughts - I basically want a coloured border on the left of the currently active page <LI>, and I want this to smoothly follow the mouse up and down the <UL>. Trouble comes when I want to embed a <UL> in an <LI> element for a sub menu... turns out, things break

I have tried simply using a class to denote the submenu items, rather than another <UL>, but then I cannot specify a different rollover effect for those <LI>s.

Oh, and the current page/subpage should kinda be highlighted too lol.

My HTML/CSS at the moment is:
    Code:
    div#menubox { padding:34px 0px; background:#2d2d2d; }
    div#menubox ul#menu { list-style:none; position:relative; }
    div#menubox ul#menu li { font-size:10px; padding:0px 0px 0px 30px; width:190px; }
    div#menubox ul#menu li a { position:relative; z-index:10; color:#878787; display:block; height:16px; padding:1px 0px; }
    div#menubox ul#menu li ul#submenu { list-style:none; position:relative; margin-left:-30px; }
    div#menubox ul#menu li ul#submenu li { font-size:10px; padding:0px 0px 0px 45px; width:170px; }
    div#menubox ul#menu li ul#submenu li a { position:relative; z-index:20; color:#6daee1; display:block; height:16px; padding:1px 0px; }

div#menubox ul#menu a.current { margin:0px 0px 0px -30px; padding:1px 0px 1px 6px; width:214px; border-left:25px solid #000000; background:url('sh/im/page_arrow.png') center right no-repeat; }
    div#menubox ul#menu ul#submenu a.current { margin:0px 0px 0px -45px; padding:1px 0px 1px 6px; width:199px; border-left:40px solid #6daee1; }
    div#menubox ul#menu div.ahover { position:absolute; z-index:5; border-left:25px solid #000000; background:url('sh/im/page_arrow.png') center right no-repeat; margin-left:12px; }
    div#menubox ul#menu ul#submenu div.ahover { position:absolute; z-index:15; border-left:40px solid #6daee1; }

<div id="menubox">
        <ul id="menu">
            <li><a href="#">Welcome</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Customers &amp; Projects</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Product Range</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">How We Work</a></li>
            <li><a href="#" class="current">Company Information</a>
                <ul id="submenu">
                    <li><a href="#">Company History</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#" class="current">Company Structure</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#">Mission, Vision &amp; Values</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#">Financials</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#">Careers &amp; Vacancies</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#">Location</a></li>
                </ul>
            </li>
            <li><a href="#">Contact</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">News</a></li>
        </ul>
    </div>
    I have tried both lavalamp and ahover plugins, are there any others available? Or any ideas for how to achieve this? Other than a plain-jane CSS rollover of course; that's no fun

The only way your going to be able to achieve that effect is using javascript or flash. I would recommend looking into JQuery or YUI. You might even get lucky and find a similar effect that has already been developed using those libraries. Otherwise your going to need to get your hands a little dirty in the wonderful world of javascript programming. I haven't developed anything similar although if I had I would gladly share the code. YUI has very powerful animation library that would be perfect for this type of thing.
    Last edited by tZ; 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

http://apycom.com/ seem to have figured it out. Would love to know exactly how they didnt without having to pay them.... At quick glance it seems to be in the CSS by using compound selectors.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
      Working...
      X