Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Graphic Design Books

Hi everyone.

I would like to learn about graphic design for the web i.e. how to make websites look good by using correct layouts, colors and fonts etc.

Can you please:
    1. Provide an up to date list of good books for me to get stuck into?
    2. Identify any helpful tools e.g. the Adobe Kuler Color Wheel is great?
    3. Outline any good work from home courses that I might take?

On the forum I found an old 2003 listing which provided a lot of helpful book titles but feel this must now be a little out of date. It's here:
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ighlight=books

Anyway thanks so much in advance. Can't wait to get studying.

Johnny Jekyll

How much coding do you already know? A good bit? Some? None?
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I know a little HTML/CSS, but the coding is not the issue at all.

I purely need help on the graphic design side of things like web layouts, colors and fonts etc. This must be the forum to get helpful info?

Comment

Graphic Design is massively subjective, You can't really learn how to design from a book...you can learn what to look for but if you are web-savvy you will know this already. Best hing is to do what all us designers do, look around the web/mags/newspapers etc and when you see a style you like...MAKE IT YOURS.
        No advertising allowed in signatures.

Comment

Originally posted by andysain View Post
          Graphic Design is massively subjective, You can't really learn how to design from a book...you can learn what to look for but if you are web-savvy you will know this already. Best hing is to do what all us designers do, look around the web/mags/newspapers etc and when you see a style you like...MAKE IT YOURS.
          Or...if you find a couple of styles...figure out the parts you like, and invent a new style. Just remember, do not get attached to one style. Styles change, and you have to be prepared to change with them, or you will get left behind.
          "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Take up photography,

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X