Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• neeru_m
    Reply to Need help with logo
    neeru_m
    Thanks Amit for your suggestions. I'll try to improve my logo...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • AmitMan
    Reply to Music album cover
    AmitMan
    I like the grunge style here. Its a little hard to read at times, especially with the white text on black.

Nice work, keep up the good stuff!
    Today, 03:29 AM
  • AmitMan
    AmitMan
    I think I see what your trying to do with the underline, but I don't think its working in this case. A simple underline can help to add distance between a title and say a headline and can also make the...
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • AmitMan
    Reply to :::-----What's the graphic standards logo ------:::
    AmitMan
    I've heard of checklists and similar documents used for say ensuring your file is print ready (ensuring all digital images are at least 300dpi, file formats are corrects, appropriate bleeds etc.) but...
    Today, 03:11 AM
  • neeru_m
    neeru_m
    Sorry I just forget to mention. Its a Graphic and Web Design company logo. And the major symbol is a combination of "D" and "L" which is the first letter of company name "Design...
    Today, 02:57 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycle me

New site by the Ontario (Canada) government promoting sign-ups for organ donations:

http://recycleme.org

Controversy brewing about the taste level of this. What do you think?

I think it's brilliant. But I work in health care, and worked 8 years in an emergency department before moving to design. I can see how it might make some sqeamish.

Bottom line, people die each year needlessly because there aren't enough organs to go around. Awareness campaigns have to become more aggressive, to increase the number of available organs.

(BTW, has everyone signed their organ donation cards? If not please consider it. TYVM.)
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

My daughter showed me this one. My first reaction? "This is the kind of solution that I always think of --- first."

Translation: I think its brilliant too.

Comment

heh, interesting. Whether it's an effective strategy or not, check out this recently posted TED talk (around the 5 min mark):

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_...decisions.html

Turns out you can get people to donate organs by just exploiting their tendency to not read forms.
        portfolio | daily image | reffee

Comment

I love TED. Great talk. I've known for a long time that people generally choose the default.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Brilliant! I love it! I am already signed up to be an organ donor and think everyone else should, too. Whatever isn't recycled of me, I want buried under a plum tree.
            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I love it as well. I have signed my organ donor/recycle me card a long time ago!
              “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it's very well done

Since this subject has been brought up ... I have been considering signing up for organ donation. But one thing I that has happened recently turned me off a bit.

I have a friend down in PA and his co-workers wife died unexpectedly - she was 38. Of course they wanted her organs and he agreed ... now bear in mind this is a horrid time for the spouse/family when something like this happens but yet they are still asked this very delicate question. He agreed to let her organs go. That was a month ago.

The hospital just sent him a bill for over $2000 dollars for the procedure to harvest her organs.

I'm sorry but that just seems so wrong to me.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                  I think it's very well done The hospital just sent him a bill for over $2000 dollars for the procedure to harvest her organs.
                  Kittie, I'm pretty sure that's a billing error. It's been a long time since I worked in a patient accounts office, but IIRC the harvesting is paid for by the recipient. Or it could have been hospital charges unrelated to the transplant, but weren't explained well enough.

Comment

Hmm... I suppose that could be .. but from what he told my friend it was marked as an Operating Room Procedure and she was never in the Operating room except to have her organs removed.

She died at home and was taken to the hospital morgue .. even bypassed the ER.

But, who knows .. it could just be a mix up ... I hope it is. He is looking in to it. So hopefully that is the case.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Actually, that's a bone of contention for a friend of mine, who recently donated one of his kidneys to his brother, as a living donor. A lot of the medical expenses that fall out of being a living donor aren't covered by the recipient's insurance, and so are the responsibility of the donor, not the recipient. Things like tests leading up to determining compatibility, pre- and post-op care after the transplant, disability, physicals, lodging (in case the donor has to travel to donate the organ, as happened in the case of my friend), time off from work, etc.

My friend has now become very active in a movement that will encourage better protections for living donors who can and want to donate an organ to a family member, and make it so that living donors aren't effectively penalized for something that, in my opinion, is a hugely generous and charitable act. The same should hold true for non-living organ donors, so hopefully garricks is right Kat, and this is a simple clerical error. Then again, given the state of our healthcare system in the U.S., I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a mistake.
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I'm a blood donor and I've signed away my organs at death.

I don't find the website offensive, repulsive or anything. I think it's a brilliant site, well constructed and thought out.

The thing about donating blood is that it only has a shelf life of about 2/3 months. So donating regularly is important.

I have a shelf-life of one-life and so does everyone. If my death can continue several lives then it makes me happy.

I think the site reflects the point above - in a way.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed View Post
                          Brilliant! I love it! I am already signed up to be an organ donor and think everyone else should, too. Whatever isn't recycled of me, I want buried under a plum tree.
                          My Dad was 58 when he had a tripple bypass. It was the scariest moment in my life and probably his. I nearly lost him. But 11 years on he's still going strong. I can't keep him out of building things, or going to his workshop in the shed. He's always doing it. Doing something strenous. It worries me.

But he's pushing on 70 now and doen't look a day over 50. Honestly. He's the greatest man in the world. If he didn't have the tripple bypass I'd beg him to donate his heart. But that won't happen. It can't.

When I asked him at 60 where he wanted to be buried he told me that I can do what I like with his body, he's just an empty shell. (Edit - me and my dad talk about everything, and this came up a weird way and not just sitting around chatting - just so you know it's not what we normally talk about)

That's how I feel about it. When I die, I'm an empty shell. If parts of me can be saved to save someone else then so be it. I have no ownership to my bodyparts once I'm dead. They belong to whoever needs them.

That's it really.
                          Last edited by hank_scorpio; 05-31-2009, 12:44 AM.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile View Post
                            A lot of the medical expenses that fall out of being a living donor aren't covered by the recipient's insurance, and so are the responsibility of the donor, not the recipient.
                            Are you serious?? That is SO wrong on so many levels. And if that man who donated his wife's organs is actually being charged for their removal, then that is just... just... so far beyond despicable that it leaves me speechless.

Digi
                            The world is divided into people who think they are right.
                            —Anonymous

Comment

Digi, that's why my friend is involved in getting better protections in place for other living donors. He feels that a lot more people would do what he did, they just can't necessarily afford to, whereas he and his brother were in a position to be able to deal with the other expenses.
                              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X