Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please beginner wanting advice in getting into web design

Hi,
    I want to get into web design, so far I've learnt basic HTML and CSS. I've got Adobe CS4 Master Collection and I've been watching Lynda.com tutorial videos on Dreamweaver CS4.
    My problem is I'm not moving forward, my friend says to just a build a basic first website and move on from there, I've tried but I don't know where to start.
    So has the forum please got any detailed advice on steps of building a first website, what skills I need to learn, what order I do things in etc..
    Preferably using the software I've got eg: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

advice is much appreciated

Dreamweaver is only a tool, you'll still need to knows what the code does in order to use the tool sucessfully.

In the first sticky of the WebDesign section I posted a list of tried and true links.
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...1&postcount=21

I would suggest downloading some examples from CSS garden and really get a feel of how things work. Once you make that connection between the graphic and the css mobility you'll definitely leap forward in conceptualizing a website.

My approach is to make the initial design layout (at proper web scale) then crop or slice my art into pieces.

Then I take the graphic pieces and manually code a template.

Then I build the content into the template.

(simplified version)

Your friend has the right idea. Build the basic website. Then start to experiment with code. Look at other sites - if you see something you like try to figure out how they did it.

Jade

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
      Reply to Tell me it's ok to use Publisher
      B
      For layout purposes, Publisher is certainly a step up from MS Word.

Professional designers generally stay away from Publisher because it largely consumer and office software that doesn't...
      Today, 11:15 AM
    • Fuzzy Onion
      Tell me it's ok to use Publisher
      Fuzzy Onion
      I work for a small education company. We produce a number of documents that are then made available for teachers to download via PDF. These are things like worksheets, readings, and instruction guides/user...
      Today, 10:38 AM
    • StudioMonkey
      Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
      StudioMonkey
      Neither Foil nor Varnish are done on a digital press - you would have to get your Business Cards printed Litho. For 100 cards this is always going to be expensive - you could probably get 2000 cards...
      Today, 09:38 AM
    • natalya.jpg
      What do you think about my new web site?
      natalya.jpg
      What do you think about my new web site?

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Hello everybody![/COLOR]

I've just made my new website for the great opera singer. What do you think?...
      Today, 03:16 AM
    • mishulikes
      Reply to The right typography
      mishulikes
      With body text, one tends to want use a simple serif for easier reading. Like B and PrintDriver have said, who is reading the magazine and even the genre of the content will dictate the typeface. I used...
      Today, 01:13 AM
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X