Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Help please beginner wanting advice in getting into web design Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please beginner wanting advice in getting into web design

Hi,
    I want to get into web design, so far I've learnt basic HTML and CSS. I've got Adobe CS4 Master Collection and I've been watching Lynda.com tutorial videos on Dreamweaver CS4.
    My problem is I'm not moving forward, my friend says to just a build a basic first website and move on from there, I've tried but I don't know where to start.
    So has the forum please got any detailed advice on steps of building a first website, what skills I need to learn, what order I do things in etc..
    Preferably using the software I've got eg: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

advice is much appreciated

Dreamweaver is only a tool, you'll still need to knows what the code does in order to use the tool sucessfully.

In the first sticky of the WebDesign section I posted a list of tried and true links.
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...1&postcount=21

I would suggest downloading some examples from CSS garden and really get a feel of how things work. Once you make that connection between the graphic and the css mobility you'll definitely leap forward in conceptualizing a website.

My approach is to make the initial design layout (at proper web scale) then crop or slice my art into pieces.

Then I take the graphic pieces and manually code a template.

Then I build the content into the template.

(simplified version)

Your friend has the right idea. Build the basic website. Then start to experiment with code. Look at other sites - if you see something you like try to figure out how they did it.

Jade

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
    Working...
    X