Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Comment on What do you want to know?
    Buda
    Rabbits don't cough up fur balls and they also do not vomit. They do however do poops that a strung together. They gotta get rid of that fur somehow right?
    Today, 08:21 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Turkey Day!!
    Buda
    Happy stretchy pants day!
    Today, 08:17 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Colour matching
    Buda
    We use metallic inks but they are so different to foils that I don't think I've ever been asked to match them. I guess it really depends on what colour the foil is as to if there will be an appropriate...
    Today, 08:17 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hi from Lithuania.
    Buda
    Hi Rokas ART and welcome to GDF. I am INFJ.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 08:14 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Logo for my new software development business
    Buda
    Hi and eborja welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 08:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to back up a wordpress blog

How do you do a full backup for a wordpress blog - e.g. db and whatever else

Thanks
    ehsan.

google: wordpress backup plugin...then install
    Monarchs Rule!

Comment

I use my database tools on the server, but if I recall correctly there is a wordpress plugin that will allow you to download the DB.

yep, a quick search pulls this up.
      http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/

Comment

JINX! (flutterby)

Comment

:d
          Monarchs Rule!

Comment

Is that plugin trustworthy? I'm about to install my first wordpress site for a client...however it will be the second one I am working on. Since I had a my first site go down on accident due ftp file moving error type thing, I want to back up as I work on the site, and once we go live. My host does daily backups, but I still would like to retain a copy for my client. I'm so nervous about something breaking in the process of backing up, and even more so, moving the wp site from the test sub domain to the root. I'm obviously a WP newbie, and pretty novice with php and mySQL (going to change that). If there's any advice, such as what tools to use, and best FTP program or settings I'd greatly appreciate the insight. (sorry to hi-jack!)
            | Valerie |
            "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
            -Ben Harper

Comment

You probably need to get to know PHPMyAdmin which will let you access the database 'directly'. Use the 'export' tab and add 'drop-table' when you need to overwrite an existing database. Then if you are moving between domains you will need to run some SQL queries to correct some of the settings (mainly in wp_options).

There is also some info on the WordPress website.

One piece of advice is: always make complete back-ups of both database and file structure and keep them somewhere safe. As you say, it's easy to accidentally mess things up: you want to always make sure you can get back to your starting point if necessary.
              Business website: Jackfruit Design
              Personal blog: theSheep.co.uk

Comment

Thanks great info to know. I did go into the phpmyadmin area because I screwed up something after the install and had to dump the tables. All over my head so reading up on this is definitely a good idea! I'm going to have to move this thing from a sub-domain to the root to go live so I will need to be doing a lot of maintenance like that beforehand.
                | Valerie |
                -Ben Harper

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin
                  Always make complete back-ups of both database and file structure and keep them somewhere safe.
                  Good advice – keep the table structures separate from the data that goes in them. You would then import the structures then the data rather than having a single file.

Comment

I guess I have to read more on this because I have no idea how to do that or what it means to keep them separate. Then again, I don't know how to backup the db yet...but I am sure some reading will help me understand that.

I did get into the back end to dump tables but haven't a clue even what that is. I'm so afraid i'm going to F this up anyways. But I'm going to have to make a backup sometime in the next few days because I'm going to be adding some plugin's and widgets and who knows what is supported in this new 2.8 version.
                    | Valerie |
                    -Ben Harper

Comment

For example, a typical blog table may have the following fields id, user_id, title, subtitle, entry, created and updated. The structure of the table is represented by those fields and its name. Each row of that table can be considered data. The Data can't exist without the table, but the table can exist without the data. The table exists without the data when its empty no blog entries have been added to it yet. At that point only the structure exists, but no row data.

Comment

I'm not positive how you accomplish it in PHP MySQLAdmin but it looks as if all you need to do is uncheck data for the first export then for the second uncheck structure and check data.

Comment

Thanks tZ that makes perfect sense...
                          | Valerie |
                          -Ben Harper

Comment

when you do a fresh wordpress install and create the database, you have an empty table structure already...so wouldn't you just need to backup your populated tables and import them?
                            Monarchs Rule!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                            Working...
                            X