No announcement yet.

Website info.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website info.

Hea peeps, I am a noob when it comes to web design and I'v been trying to figure out how the websites like 99design and the likes work. Are they just a picture gallery or is it alot more complicated then that?

download firebug for firefox....should give you a good idea.
    Its not "Mitch-ed" stupid....its Me-Show.

I'd say they're more complicated than that. Sites that let you post stuff, comment on things, and the like usually always run on some kind of database system with some sort of programming involved. There's a lot of stuff available that's pre-made so all you have to do is install and setup, but big sites like that usually involve some custom programming.
      When I buy stickers for folks in prison, I bring milk not backyard meth - it's a prison party!

If your interested in building something along those scales then you need knowledge of database development and server side programming. One of the more popular server side programming languages is PHP. However, other languages such as ASP, Ruby, Python and Java can also be used given the correct server set-up. As far as databases go the more popular of them all is the open source version of MySQL. Databases are used to store the data. Server side languages are used to manipulate data and display it alongside HTML. Those are the two most work horses behind most dynamic web applications – a database and domain level programming "framework". A site like that would never be possible with only HTML and CSS.
        Last edited by tZ; 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM.

Thanx for the replys guys. I was going to try build a site on the ssame lines, but i need to learn a whole lot more.

Are you interested in the programming, design or both? Building a site like that requires a lot of programming outside what any software package can provide. Not to discourage you or anything, but its more less computer science then visual design.
            Last edited by tZ; 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM.

Latest Topics

• Pavlo
              Reply to How to land your first internship?
              Hi ray12,
              What did you write in the cover letter if you weren't asking for an internship until the end? Just about learning from the company?

I would keep it short. I would remind myself...
              Yesterday, 09:36 PM
            • Buda
              Reply to What is everyone's work space like?
              I've been freelancing full time for 6 months so I'm still working out more efficient ways of doing things, though I feel like I've got my office set up pretty well now.

I work from home...
              Yesterday, 05:37 PM
            • Buda
              Reply to Am I cut out for this??
              I always expect some form of crit after sending a proof to a client. When there is no critique, I am concerned because I fear the client hasn't looked at the proof properly.

From a learning...
              Yesterday, 05:17 PM
            • Buda
              Reply to Looking for mentor
              Studies are a big investment in time and money. I wouldn't hire a designer that refused to invest in themselves to learn the basics.

A mentor is someone to guide you when you get stuck professionally....
              Yesterday, 05:15 PM
            • Buda
              Reply to Looking for an Online Graphic Design Tool with Specific Features
              Hi Tommy_New and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
              Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Incredible Stock
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings