This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digizan View Post
    Awww, you're welcome garricks. It's kinda funny because when I started using InDesign styles, it was like "Oh! This is just like CSS."
    And that's pretty much what clicked with me tonght! "Oh! CSS is just like InDesign styles!" That's a brilliant deduction.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks, urst.

Hey is that the FSM in the background of your avatar? *grin*

Digi
      The world is divided into people who think they are right.
      —Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        And that's pretty much what clicked with me tonght! "Oh! CSS is just like InDesign styles!" That's a brilliant deduction.
        LOL!! Great minds...

Sheesh, every time I reply to you I see something wrong with my original post! The first example says:

Incorrect - If you wanted it bold & green in every paragraph, then you'd do this:
        Correct - If you wanted it bold & green for every occurrence of <strong> anywhere on the page, then you'd do this:

HTML Code:
        strong {
          color: #00ff00;
        }
        Okay, I refuse to look for any more errors. Maybe tZ or whoever will catch any others that might be lurking.

Digi
        —Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by digizan View Post
          Thanks, urst.

Hey is that the FSM in the background of your avatar? *grin*

Digi
          Yup, you just noticed? !
          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

exactly – great explanation digizan.

Comment

Thanks, tZ.

BTW, this thread reminded me of a page I created for a forum friend a while back to show some examples of some basic semantic markup + CSS. Anyone reading this should feel free to grab it from here if you think it might be useful. It's not intended to be elegant or sexy—it's just a bunch of heavily commented examples intended to demonstrate some simple things that can be done.

Digi
              —Anonymous

Comment

Digi, your link is malformed.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

OMG, now I can't even create a simple link properly!

http://nopersonal.info/aboutkateers/...kup_basic.html

Thanks for the heads-up, garricks!

Digi
                  —Anonymous

Comment

lol i guess we all have our days! I picked up on that last fix...

and Garricks, when I got into CSS it reminded me of Indy styles too. And made me wonder why we weren't using them in the earlier phases of web design!

and Digi - not naming layers and being organized on the computer w/ files and such is one of my biggest pet peeves. You would think I was OCD - but I am only like that w/ my print, design and business organization/work...w/ other stuff I'm not like that at all...so weird.
                    | Valerie |
                    "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
                    -Ben Harper

Comment

Originally posted by DesignVHL View Post
                      and Digi - not naming layers and being organized on the computer w/ files and such is one of my biggest pet peeves. You would think I was OCD - but I am only like that w/ my print, design and business organization/work...w/ other stuff I'm not like that at all...so weird.
                      Oh boy, do I ever recognize that!

My apartment can be a total disaster, but God forbid my computer files should be disorganized. Well, okay, except for my downloads folder & swipe file—those are a nightmare that I haven't sorted through in six months. But I never let the work-related stuff get out of control.

I also hoard old stuff—do you do that too? I have three internal hard drives: one strictly for my OS & installed programs, one for stock photos & personal stuff, and one for client related stuff. I live in mortal fear of hard drive failures & viruses, so I do regular backups to an external drive that stays disconnected except for when I'm actually backing stuff up. The really old stuff gets burned to DVD (I actually have files that are like 10 years old).

Speaking of backups, it's been a couple of weeks since my last one... I need to do that today...

Digi
                      —Anonymous

Comment

I can relate to just about everything you've said. I'm a big time horder when it comes to art, design, and music(ticket stubs, posters, etc.). I have all my design magazines still from the late 90's up to now and can't bring myself to get rid of them...to me it's my resource library. Old books, same thing - except for like flash 4 books - I think I recyled those a few weeks ago. I can't even bare to get rid of stupid samples from print vendors I like, lol!

Designers and artists collect stuff - can't do anything about that! As for archiving, I haven't burned old projects to cd in a long time. I hate CDs/DVDs. I know I should do this, but it is such a pain - and I don't know if it is really worth it in the long run. One of my really good friends who I went to design school with always used to give me shtick about it. I just figure when a HD gets filled up, it becomes a final storage/resting place for old projects, and I buy a new one. I am a terrible archiver - that's the worst of my work disorganization.

I do have fear of HD failures - although I have only ever had one fizz out on me, and it was all my fault - I used the wrong power cord. But viruses on my mac isn't a concern for me..and the PC I use at work is pretty well maintained and protected. I'm pretty good about computer maintenance be it my macs or pcs (which i use at my part time in-house design job.

That being said, I could use about 3-4TBs to use just for backup on the "mothership" - that is the G5 in my home office/studio. Just discussed this in another thread actually over a different topic. I don't design on it anymore - just use it as my main hub and totally organize my HDs in the same way you do. It has 4 drives connected to it. Two internal - one for the OS and software and the other for client projects only. The third drive which is external - 500GB is used with Time Machine to constantly back up the two internal drives. Then there's the 4th drive - just for music. I am flipping out about it not being back up though - which is why I need that TB drive really soon. I keep my photography projects, current/new client projects, and my own projects now on my macbook pro (which has a 320GB drive - which is plenty for now). When I am done w/ a client project, I transfer it to the mothership projects drive for archiving. I want to organize my mbp in the same way I do my mothership, but I am too mobile to deal w/ it, and simply access the mothership hds whenever I need to. I already carry a small external hd for my mbp to use for its TM backup.
                        | Valerie |
                        "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
                        -Ben Harper

Comment

The "mothership"—LOL—I am soooo stealing that!

I really hate backing up to CD/DVD too. It seems to take forever. You're right about HD storage being really cheap these days though. I want to get a new C: drive for my mothership and a new HD for my laptop. I figure once I do that I can use the old 2.5" HD as external storage for the laptop, and then add my old C: drive as a 2nd internal HD for my old desktop (I want to try installing Ubuntu on it and using it as a dedicated web server). Then I can use the laptop's existing external drive for archiving realy old stuff.

My mothership's current external drive is only 640GB, but that's sufficient for now. I can't wait till reasonably priced 3-4TB drives come out. I just recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU & video card, and added a wireless router to my LAN, so I have all the latest connections and pretty decent performance now. I love not having my laptop tethered! Now I'm just waiting for Win7 (I refuse to deal with Vista). I wish I could afford a Mac. *sigh*

I've had mostly good luck with hard drives, except for a couple of Seagate SATA drives that failed miserably last year (I stick with Western Digital now). When I used to work as a coder, there was a graphic designer at our company who had 5 years worth of her work on one of the company's servers (her brother was one of the partners, so she got to do that). You know where this is going, right? Yep, one day the server with all her work on it went belly-up. Unfortunately for her, for some reason that server wasn't never backed up (or its past backups had been overwritten) and she lost ALL of her work. The poor girl just sat there sobbing inconsolably all day. I vowed I would never, ever let that happen to me. *shudder*

Digi
                          —Anonymous

Comment

Great info Digizan --- This thread has been officially sticked.

Comment

Thanks, Drazan.

Digi
                              —Anonymous

Comment

Have you thought about RAID arrays? If you are going to use HD storage you may want to.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X