Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedding Flash in my website... browser problem?

I took a course in Flash about 6 years ago but have since forgotten most of what I learned, so I am trying to relearn it by myself using Flash CS3.

I created a Flash banner to embed into a website. I used dreamweaver to insert the .swf file. But when I try to preview it in Explorer, the Flash banner was blocked and a message said that the browser wasn't allowing any running scripts or activeX controls and I had to manually unblock it for it to show.

Now, I remember when I took the Flash course 6 years ago, there was a technique I learned that will make sure that the Flash file will play no matter which browser I'm using, and I wouldn't need to unblock anything to see it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Please help!

Thanks
    Ed

Originally posted by ed7501 View Post
    I took a course in Flash about 6 years ago but have since forgotten most of what I learned, so I am trying to relearn it by myself using Flash CS3.

I created a Flash banner to embed into a website. I used dreamweaver to insert the .swf file. But when I try to preview it in Explorer, the Flash banner was blocked and a message said that the browser wasn't allowing any running scripts or activeX controls and I had to manually unblock it for it to show.

Now, I remember when I took the Flash course 6 years ago, there was a technique I learned that will make sure that the Flash file will play no matter which browser I'm using, and I wouldn't need to unblock anything to see it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Please help!

Thanks
    Ed
    look up SWFObject, its the best way to embed flash.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTheVike View Post
      look up SWFObject, its the best way to embed flash.
      Thanks! wasn't aware of this.

Comment

Upon researching SWFObject, I came across this:

http://norrisoftenhance.ning.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this software? any good? bugs to report?

Comment

No, but I don't think it is really that necessary. The documentation for swfobject 2.0 are great and pretty easy to follow. Once you do one or two its a piece of cake. And imho the best way to put flash on a site - it is the most accessible I believe.
          | Valerie |
          "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
          -Ben Harper

Comment

That sometimes happens to me when I try and preview on my local machine, it usually works fine when I upload to the server.
            Carpe Diem

Comment

It should only NOT work locally if you have not uploaded your swf file movie to your server yet, and are using absolute links. If you are using relative links, you should most definitely see the flash during local testing.
              | Valerie |
              "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
              -Ben Harper

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X