Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linking to a certain section of another page...bug?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linking to a certain section of another page...bug?

    I know how this is accomplished...

    <a href="http://blah.com/page2.html#section2"><a>

    on page2.html...

    <h2 id="section2"></h2>

    It works fine when I put the id on a header element, but if I try to put it on a div it doesn't work. Is this normal? I noticed it works in IE7, but not Firefox or Safari.

  • #2
    You should be targeting a named anchor, not an id:

    <a href="http://blah.com/page2.html#section2"><a>

    on page2.html...

    <a name="section2"><a><h2 id="section2"></h2>


    Digi
    The world is divided into people who think they are right.
    —Anonymous

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by digizan View Post
      You should be targeting a named anchor, not an id:

      <a href="http://blah.com/page2.html#section2"><a>

      on page2.html...

      <a name="section2"><a><h2 id="section2"></h2>


      Digi

      seems a little weird to put a blank anchor tag doesn't it?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MikeTheVike View Post
        seems a little weird to put a blank anchor tag doesn't it?
        Not to me it doesn't. ;-)

        You could wrap your anchor around the text of your heading:

        <h2 id="section2"><a name="section2">Foo<a></h2>

        But then you're probably going to have to add more CSS to stop the heading from looking like a link.

        Digi
        The world is divided into people who think they are right.
        —Anonymous

        Comment


        • #5
          Okay, I've been up all night finishing a web site and my brain is toast right now.

          This should work:

          <h2 id="section2" name="section2">Foo</h2>

          Digi
          The world is divided into people who think they are right.
          —Anonymous

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by digizan View Post
            Okay, I've been up all night finishing a web site and my brain is toast right now.

            This should work:

            <h2 id="section2" name="section2">Foo</h2>

            Digi

            yea, it actually works with just the "id", the "name" isn't necessary. I was just wondering why it wasn't working on a div because it would make my heading a little more visible if the page jumped to the top of my div instead of the heading.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MikeTheVike View Post
              yea, it actually works with just the "id", the "name" isn't necessary. I was just wondering why it wasn't working on a div because it would make my heading a little more visible if the page jumped to the top of my div instead of the heading.
              Yeah, now that I've gotten a couple of hours of sleep it's clear what you were asking. I should know better than to post on the forums when I'm dead tired like that.

              Anyway, I created a test page and have no problem jumping to a div using an id in either FF or Safari. Maybe you're overlooking something?

              Digi
              The world is divided into people who think they are right.
              —Anonymous

              Comment

              Search

              Collapse

              Sponsor

              Collapse

              Incredible Stock

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              • murofwoh
                Reply to Ice Cream Sign Design - First Trial
                murofwoh
                and break out the sketch pad----20 thumbnails first!
                Today, 10:11 AM
              • murofwoh
                Reply to My first thread design
                murofwoh
                already mentioned but SANPSTER? Don't you mean S N A P ster? if you can't get that right, well.....I mean my brother is an actual dyslexic and ran his own sign shop for years---talk about some scary and...
                Today, 10:09 AM
              • seamas
                Reply to Ice Cream Sign Design - First Trial
                seamas
                Both of these suffer from the same things.

                1. Boring photos.
                2. The presentation tells me that this is most certainly NOT gonna be better than ice cream.

                You need to sell...
                Today, 10:05 AM
              • murofwoh
                Reply to My first thread design
                murofwoh
                is this a joke?
                Today, 10:05 AM
              • murofwoh
                Reply to Logo collection critique
                murofwoh
                Perhaps seek out non-profits you truly believe in, do some pro bono logo work...lawyers do pro bono work and are required to i believe...this could be a great way to build your logo service and portfolio....
                Today, 10:03 AM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X