Explainging image load time and size to clients. Need Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explainging image load time and size to clients. Need Help

Ok. The last advice I received was great! Thanks all for your help. I am dealing with a client right now that keeps giving me crap for file size load time. Of course they want the best looking image with the upload time that is a blink of an eye. I have made the files as small as possible and they load at normal speeds depending on service providers (dsl / cable). How do I explain what little I can do to a client that thinks I am a magician? Thanks again

Tell him, "this ain't no Word document!"
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

LOL, i like that!

Comment

Get a faster internet host.

If they are on a shared service (usually in the $10 or less category) then you are on a slow server.

If you go for a service in the $20 to $30 range on a virtual server then you have a faster server.

If you are on a dedicated (managed or colo) usually starting at the $100+ range then you'll have a faster server yet.

Then if you have a high traffic site it may be best to find a media server seperate from the hosting server to ... well... serve the binary data (images, flash, video, etc) This is usualy in the several thousand a month category.

So if you think you optimized the site as best can...and it still loads slow, then it's two things - the images/flash/video is still to large to load quick, or you are on a slow server.

I manage sites on 6 different systems, and I develop on a dedicated server. I can litterly count the seconds in load time between the development server and the shared host server for the same exact site.

Comment

I hear ya Drazan. I know they are on a server in their building sharing files and internet, so i am sure that is slowing them down some, not to mention they are button pushers, quick to hit a link and then another and so on.... (not sure if that slows down loading times, I know it does when i get impatient.) Good feedback though. Thanks.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MareC
            Reply to Presentations make me nervous!
            MareC
            Hang in there, CoolRuler. You are describing me in my teens, 20s and 30s. It was so bad that I couldn't order a hamburger at a fast-food joint without my voice cracking, and my high-school English teacher...
            Today, 04:56 PM
          • coolruler
            Reply to Presentations make me nervous!
            coolruler
            I think I ultimately feel as if im being graded on my presentation, which then adds pressure to a point where I have a brain fart. Again, im fine in groups, talking loudly and such. Its just when I hit...
            Today, 04:51 PM
          • seamas
            Comment on music distracting?
            seamas
            It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't twice a week for YEARS.

One reason I can't listen to contemporary pop music radio is the limited playlists.

Hearing the same songs over and...
            Today, 04:51 PM
          • seamas
            Comment on Need help with making lights - Photoshop CS5
            seamas
            Yep.
            Photoshop isn't gonna do this by itself--knowing how to draw is what matters. Photoshop is just a tool to facilitate it.
            Today, 04:40 PM
          • seamas
            Reply to Need help with making lights - Photoshop CS5
            seamas
            Not to change the subject but could the kerning on RSVP be done any worse??

I pray no one paid for this.
            Today, 04:38 PM

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X