No announcement yet.

Explainging image load time and size to clients. Need Help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explainging image load time and size to clients. Need Help

Ok. The last advice I received was great! Thanks all for your help. I am dealing with a client right now that keeps giving me crap for file size load time. Of course they want the best looking image with the upload time that is a blink of an eye. I have made the files as small as possible and they load at normal speeds depending on service providers (dsl / cable). How do I explain what little I can do to a client that thinks I am a magician? Thanks again

Tell him, "this ain't no Word document!"
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

LOL, i like that!

Get a faster internet host.

If they are on a shared service (usually in the $10 or less category) then you are on a slow server.

If you go for a service in the $20 to $30 range on a virtual server then you have a faster server.

If you are on a dedicated (managed or colo) usually starting at the $100+ range then you'll have a faster server yet.

Then if you have a high traffic site it may be best to find a media server seperate from the hosting server to ... well... serve the binary data (images, flash, video, etc) This is usualy in the several thousand a month category.

So if you think you optimized the site as best can...and it still loads slow, then it's two things - the images/flash/video is still to large to load quick, or you are on a slow server.

I manage sites on 6 different systems, and I develop on a dedicated server. I can litterly count the seconds in load time between the development server and the shared host server for the same exact site.

I hear ya Drazan. I know they are on a server in their building sharing files and internet, so i am sure that is slowing them down some, not to mention they are button pushers, quick to hit a link and then another and so on.... (not sure if that slows down loading times, I know it does when i get impatient.) Good feedback though. Thanks.

Latest Topics

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright 2013 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us