Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    KitchWitch
    Hi EmberMike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on Avatars
    KitchWitch
    If you read the original post, you'll find, "The function that allows avatars to be uploaded broke a few weeks ago for unknown reasons." There's a workaround posted in comment #6 you can try....
    Today, 01:39 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Omar and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:35 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Getting started...
    KitchWitch
    Hi rtk3tt and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • BJMRamage
    Comment on Christmas cards
    BJMRamage
    yeah, we had photos taken in October...just waiting on the pics from the photographer.
    Today, 01:24 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explainging image load time and size to clients. Need Help

Ok. The last advice I received was great! Thanks all for your help. I am dealing with a client right now that keeps giving me crap for file size load time. Of course they want the best looking image with the upload time that is a blink of an eye. I have made the files as small as possible and they load at normal speeds depending on service providers (dsl / cable). How do I explain what little I can do to a client that thinks I am a magician? Thanks again

Tell him, "this ain't no Word document!"
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

LOL, i like that!

Comment

Get a faster internet host.

If they are on a shared service (usually in the $10 or less category) then you are on a slow server.

If you go for a service in the $20 to $30 range on a virtual server then you have a faster server.

If you are on a dedicated (managed or colo) usually starting at the $100+ range then you'll have a faster server yet.

Then if you have a high traffic site it may be best to find a media server seperate from the hosting server to ... well... serve the binary data (images, flash, video, etc) This is usualy in the several thousand a month category.

So if you think you optimized the site as best can...and it still loads slow, then it's two things - the images/flash/video is still to large to load quick, or you are on a slow server.

I manage sites on 6 different systems, and I develop on a dedicated server. I can litterly count the seconds in load time between the development server and the shared host server for the same exact site.

Comment

I hear ya Drazan. I know they are on a server in their building sharing files and internet, so i am sure that is slowing them down some, not to mention they are button pushers, quick to hit a link and then another and so on.... (not sure if that slows down loading times, I know it does when i get impatient.) Good feedback though. Thanks.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
          Working...
          X