Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Reply to What do you think?
    garricks
    Hi hasatan, welcome to the forum. We ask all new members to read the forum rules posted here and here. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give...
    Today, 12:11 PM
  • fur
    Reply to Multiply, white background question. Must be a 1 minute answer?? Help!
    fur
    So i wanted to say that i played around a bit with the trace image option and i made it so that the background vanished and the image is still clear. Im not sure if this is what he did, but i cant find...
    Today, 12:09 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    PrintDriver
    Now that I can read it, your copy needs help.

Spreads around?
    What risks? Getting the flu or dying from it. Everyone is at risk of "getting" the flu.
    Is the flu vaccine...
    Today, 11:28 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    PrintDriver
    If all your Roland cutter needs is target bullets, it doesn't matter where the print comes from. We cut stuff on our Roland this is printed on a wide variety of machines, though admittedly not a Gerber...
    Today, 11:21 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Is graphic design for me?
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF BillyLogan

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask...
    Today, 11:11 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS for printing

When you develop a website, do you generally include printer-friendly CSS stylesheets? Or only on special occasions? Or do you prefer some other method entirely?

I made a print media CSS stylesheet recently. On one hand, I liked it because it was very lean, and I was able to reformat the page content without much extra html markup. I thought, "We should do this for every site!"

But, on the other hand, I wonder what it's like from the users perspective. They don't have a way to know that the page will be formatted differently, unless they use print preview. Is it better, for usability, to have the conventional "printer-friendly" link that opens a new window? Seems chunky to me, but at least everything is clear to the user up front.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think if one is looking for a "print style" format than it's generally understood that it's going to be bare bones html, and not styled like the normal page. The primary reason for a print style is to take an article to read for later, no? At least for me it is...

Comment

You can also make the "print style" a link that just displays the page the way it would look if it were being printed that way. Sort of like a live, print preview.

Comment

Originally posted by oncepure View Post
        You can also make the "print style" a link that just displays the page the way it would look if it were being printed that way. Sort of like a live, print preview.
        This can be done using PHP but it ain't easy. To do so, you have to create an array from which your text will be printed from (on the screen or to the printer). Prior, you also have to setup a MySQL database on the server. If you Google, you'll find several sites explaining how to.

2 years ago, I have tried to setup this feature for a Web site I was working on. After going through Larry Ullman "PHP for the World Wide Web", and several tries, I didn't get any conclusive results. Alas my mind is more one of a designer than a programmer.

Comment

I say just use the print stylesheet.

When you print a page, the browser overrides a lot of stuff that affects the display, so users are used to getting a printed page that doesn't look like the one they saw on screen. By providing a print stylesheet, you can control what actually comes out of that printer and give the users a better result.

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan View Post
            I say just use the print stylesheet.
            Hewligan, how do you setup the stylesheet for the printer? (just a few hints to get me going on the right track). I know its not a problem on a Mac but with IE on a PC,.. its a whole different story..

Comment

Originally posted by lucdesaulniers View Post
              Hewligan, how do you setup the stylesheet for the printer? (just a few hints to get me going on the right track). I know its not a problem on a Mac but with IE on a PC,.. its a whole different story..
              http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/

Comment

When you print a page, the browser overrides a lot of stuff that affects the display, so users are used to getting a printed page that doesn't look like the one they saw on screen.
                That makes a lot sense. I may be over-thinking this.

Thanks for the link. That's more thorough than the reference I was using.

Comment

Ditto here. Thanks. I'll have a very close look at the link.

Comment

this link: http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/how-to-creating-an-efficient-print-stylesheet

has some good how-to for creating page breaks in the print out-put...
                    Monarchs Rule!

Comment

Humm. From what i read I would have to duplicate all the pages. The PHP solution, if I could implement it, would do it on the fly..

Comment

Originally posted by lucdesaulniers View Post
                        Humm. From what i read I would have to duplicate all the pages. The PHP solution, if I could implement it, would do it on the fly..
                        Why would you duplicate all the pages?

The whole point is that you use media-specific CSS (using @media) to tell the browser to use some different CSS during printing. There's absolutely no duplicating pages involved.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X