Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• MichaelWied
    Reply to Some interesting Graphic Design debate discussions?
    MichaelWied
    Cool idea! I'm actually working on a blog myself. Just some advice that was given to me by someone who studies journalism is to have a years worth of content ready. So if it's a weekly blog, have no less...
    Today, 04:41 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    garricks
    I bought a Canoscan based on PrintDriver's recommendation, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a workhorse.
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    PrintDriver
    There aren't that many scanners to choose from any more. I use a Canoscan 8800 and I'd buy another Canoscan in a minute. Good machine.
    Yesterday, 11:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Buda
    I would never hand over the work to an untrustworthy client without getting payment. You let this happen.

If you don't have a contract and deposit, take this as an expensive lesson to make...
    Yesterday, 09:35 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    Buda
    It is a shame, but maybe we can do Quote of the Month?

There are some gems every now and then that are nice to relive in case we miss them the first time around. Thanks to you and Kool for...
    Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash site dimensions

I apologize if this has already been addressed but I was curious as to what the dimensions of a flash website would be. I had originally googled this question but the most recent information i could find was from 2004/2005. I'm guessing the average screen resolution has changed since then.

Thanks for any input,

Nick

There really is no standard...its just what you want it to be...and based on the users of your site. I've been working my html sites out at about 950px wide....I usually base dimensions on the most commonly used screen resolution....
    | Valerie |
    "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
    -Ben Harper

Comment

Here's a good sampling of data:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

The thing that's different about quite a few flash websites is that they automatically scale to the dimensions of the screen. Now, if you embed it in an HTML file with fixed dimensions, then that's a different story.

For a general rule of thumb that I use, is I look at what sort of audience it's geared towards. To older people and if you want it to be easily accessible on most public library computers with the low resolutions, you want to make sure it's within 800px width. For the average home computer user, it's fairly safe to assume they have around a 1024px resolution, so you can use 950px or 1000px.

Comment

Also, fwiw, while we do still see them, flash sites are diminishing a bit, a nice quality mix of HTML, CSS, and Flash imho is much more appropriate and user friendly. If you want any type of accessibility on a mobile device (and I personally browse on my iphone a lot), then flash isn't even supported - just something to keep in mind. Most of the web designers on here - I THINK - would also advise against a full on flash site for a large variety of reasons.
            | Valerie |
            -Ben Harper

Comment

Completely agree, DesignVHL

Comment

First off i have to ask what fwiw means >< and I like what you stated DesignVHL because I was still up in the air about if i should make it a full flash website or not as i know of the SEO issues with flash websites.

The website is for a photographer and I actually like the idea of having it be HTML/CSS with flash elements because I plan on adding a client login section eventually when i finish learning how to make one (speaking of which is there any language or direction you would reccomend over another?).

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

FWIW = For What It's Worth
                  "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Since it is for a photographer NJG, I have a great suggestion for you to at least check out. You may want to build your own stuff though since you originally wanted to do a full on flash site, however I find this a great flash component! I have been using it for a variety of web applications! It's called Slide Show Pro - and IMHO (In my humble opinion) rocks the house! You can use it to create a massive gallery - set it up so your client can upload his own images and manage the gallery himself...lots of great uses - and VERY flexible! Check out some of the examples used. Couple this with a nice HTML site styled with CSS and you will have a very happy client.

Here's one of my client's using it as a portfolio:
                    http://www.fanmanager.net/portfolio
                    | Valerie |
                    -Ben Harper

Comment

Yeah, we really like that gallery as well. We use it on my company's website also: www.geoeye.com/gallery

We've done some extra things with databases and keywords just to help the search along, as many people come to our website and start plugging in city names in the search field.

Comment

Nice example.
                        | Valerie |
                        -Ben Harper

Comment

Originally posted by DesignVHL View Post
                          I have been using it for a variety of web applications! It's called Slide Show Pro - and IMHO (In my humble opinion) rocks the house!
                          I use this at work, and it is by far the THE BOMB! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this component. The amount of control that one has to customize the viewing area is insane!

I highly recommend this *2 thumbs-up*
                          Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I love it so much I didn't even want to share it on here, lol! But another designer shared it with me so I figured why not!

btw saw you on AIM again last night CK!
                            | Valerie |
                            -Ben Harper

Comment

Yeah, I only learned about it through the previous senior web designer at work. We have this sales presentation, and it is heavily included into that. So when he left and I inherited the web design position, I had to learn the ins and outs of it. I was REALLY surprised how easy it was to use and manipulate. Something items in the component inspector/parameters panel are named weird but usually a quick search on the their forum nets the result I am looking for.

I would post the link for you to see it in action on our site, but I don't want to get in trouble with work for making the link public! Sorry...

You crazy stalker! BTW, I am always on AIM
                              Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X