Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for auto/car/race/mechanic web icon set.

I feel like I have been searching all day and all I find is people looking for the same thing as me I have a web design class this 1/4 and my project is going to be for my auto performance shop's site. I am looking for some auto/car/race/mechanic web icon sets. I have found very few, but would like to look at a better selection. So, let me know if you have ever come across any. Thanks!!!
    EverythingTracy.com

part of web design is well - actually making the design. Even the icons.

Here is a tip. Use Illustrator and make the images large vector shapes. Then resize them to the icon size of choice. This will keep them nice and crisp.

Best yet, they will be original --- which is all my clients ask for when doing web sites.

Here's a tut on creating a "web 2.0" glossy icon. You can use the same techniques for any shape. The time spent trying to find icons to use, you could have made your entire set yourself.

also note: that most free icon sets do not allow commercial use.

Jade

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
      part of web design is well - actually making the design. Even the icons.

Here is a tip. Use Illustrator and make the images large vector shapes. Then resize them to the icon size of choice. This will keep them nice and crisp.

Best yet, they will be original --- which is all my clients ask for when doing web sites.

Here's a tut on creating a "web 2.0" glossy icon. You can use the same techniques for any shape. The time spent trying to find icons to use, you could have made your entire set yourself.

also note: that most free icon sets do not allow commercial use.

Jade
      Your tutorial link didn't come up. Think you forgot it

I read what you are saying. The main issue I have is this is for a class project. I am still learning A LOT when it comes to illustrator and photoshop. My teacher told us to not get caught up in time consuming things such as the illustrations (even though I still kind of have to for the navigation bar and banners and such), because then we will have a hard time finishing the site in time for the project due date.

Although, I guess there is no harm in trying to make my own. So, if you wouldn't mind, post up that link and I will try it out Thanks for your input. I actually saved all of the websites, forms and checklists you posted in another thread. I really appreciate that you put your stuff out there for all of us. Much respect.

Maybe you could help me with one other thing if you have time. I am trying to make a shadow behind my down image for my navi bar kind of like this: http://www.webdesignideas.org/2008/0...ar-on-the-net/ I tried to do an outer glow in in gray to make the shadow like they have but then I had to crop around the shadow and the image size for each navi button was off was off because of that (in Photoshop). I just can't figure out the best way to make it work. Not sure I am explaining that right, so I hope you get it. Ultimately, I just would like it to have a little shadow behind it when you click it.
      Last edited by TracyATL; 07-26-2009, 03:42 PM.
      EverythingTracy.com

Comment

ah, here's the link I was referring too.
        http://vector.tutsplus.com/illustrat...-battery-icon/

Most icons are just a matter of choosing a shape, add a gradient, then overlay other gradients for a highlight and shadow.

When you are looking at navigation even the ones that change shape the element image box is the same size. What you design inside that box doesn't matter as long as the box remains the same size for your code.

Three ways I handle shadows. One: use the photoshop pallet. I normally change the shadow from black to a near dark color. Example if my background is blue, I choose a dark blue as a shadow so it's not so harsh.
        Two: I duplicate the shape, turn it to a dark color and then filter >> Gaussian blur. and Three: manually brush in the shadow.

Example.
        Attached Files

Comment

Also if you want extra points, look into using "sprites" for navigation.

A sprite is one image loaded and use css to reveal which section of that image for navigation. It removes the "blink" of a roll over, when a second image needs to be loaded.

Jade

Comment

Sweet! Thanks again for all of your help. I will be sure to post up the site for dissection once it is further along.
            EverythingTracy.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X