Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrestoArts
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PrestoArts
    So help me understand if you don't mind me further pestering you all. I like the "concept" of a dragon wrapping around a word. I've done some sketches trying different things. Am I in the wrong...
    Today, 01:15 AM
  • paulw_69
    Reply to Project Ideas. HELP!
    paulw_69
    That actually helps a lot! For some reason I never thought of using a thesaurus, that should help!
    Today, 12:56 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Logo design for Game Developer
    PrintDriver
    So now we're up to four claimants. Excellent.

from the Shutterstock license:...
    Yesterday, 11:47 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    creare
    no good, as if they were three separate things.
    the idea is good but you have to try to get them freehand on a sheet of paper, you can take inspiration from old photographs or something to similar...
    Yesterday, 10:53 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    creare
    ~~You need to think of them in black and white, for example on how to make a cardboard box.
    the font are not good ,too crushed ,and difficult to read ,you also have to adjust the set with diamond...
    Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never happy, redoing my site

Hey ladies and dudes,

I'm never really seem to be happy with stuff I do for myself for more than about a week or so. It seems like any time I re-do my own website there's only about a month or two period of time before I start working on the next one. I usually work pretty slow on the next one, so they usually last a little while.

Anyway, as my interests have waned from the graphic and web design fields and more into the path I'm on now (3rd year Journalism student at the University of Cincinnati this year ) I've found myself shifting my personal site from being so "professional" to being more of just an online portfolio and "if you wanna pay me to do something, here's my contact info" kind of thing.

In the near future I see the site including more writing and photography oriented and less graphic. I've basically removed the web design aspect of the site, since I'd rather not bother with that stuff and all the "good" webwork I do is freelance stuff on sites other people originally designed.

So I've gotten moving on a new refresh for my site. It's been slow moving because I've been making an effort to make this one as "right" as possible, using all divs and css stuff. It's been interesting and I've learned a lot of stuff I think is pretty cool and interesting.

Anyway, here is where I am at the moment. Nothing exciting yet at all, just the general look and navigation. I showed a non-design minded friend and I realized that there's nothing exciting there visually yet, but I was excited to have no tables, absolute positioned div, different styles in different divs, and stuff.. he didn't get it, hahaha.

Links dont go anywhere yet, the index is all there is so far. The content will be inside divs with partially transparent, light colored backgrounds, layout in some fashion in the big area. Haven't decided how I'll have it yet.. so far I've just been working on the behind scenes stuff and the "look" of the site.
    http://www.6644graphics.com/testing/newsite/

I just wanted to see what some people had to say, see if I'm doing anything particularly wrong, see if people can point me toward some tips to improve what I have so far, or some stuff I should look into for the rest of the re-design.

I also wanted to ask, I've been planning on using Lightbox in my image galleries this time. Is this a good idea? bad idea? should I use something else? I try to keep my sites very simple, I think this little trick would be a nice way to add a little spice to the mix.

here is what my current site looks like.
    6644graphics.com

Nothing special, and nothing special on it but I do think the new site is an improvement... I'm not really happy with stuff in the portfolio, but I haven't done much stuff in a while so I don't a lot of stuff to put in there. Like I said, I've basically shifted my focus away from design and into writing. In time, I'll abandon the design stuff for the most part, get a new domain, and building a writing focused site but I'm waiting to have a decent portfolio first, unlike I did with this graphc stuff.. but hey, I started this site when I was like 16.

Whatever criticism you have, and info or help you can lend is much appreciated. You're not going to hurt my feelings. I know my portfolio can use some improvement. Part of the reason I've moved away from marketing myself professionally, and this new site is going to do so even more.

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by 6644Graphics; 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM.
    -Sam

No separate CSS sheet for your code? interesting...
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

thats one thing I was hoping someone would notice and help me out with.. I guess I forgot to mention it in my post.

Yeah, I understand like, how that works and the idea of it but I cant quite seem to figure out how to set it up to work like that exclusively. I've made an external style sheet before and linked it to a site, but I guess I just dont get how to make a bunch of styles and assign them to all the different divs like this site will have.

can anyone lead me to some place that explains that really well?

I guess I should also mention I work in Dreamweaver CS3, bouncing back and forth between the design and code screens probably about 40%/60% respectively. I can read and understand code, but I just don't know it all well enough to just sit down and write it. Typically how I work is laying it out roughly in design mode, then fine tuning it all in code... and doing a lot of stuff in code when I can't figure out how dreamweaver does it in design.
      -Sam

Comment

Stay away form design mode. That is the only way you will learn to code my hand. Trust me...

Take all of your CSS copy, and save them in a separate document and call it "index.css". place said file in the same location as your html page. Then in your HTML file, within the <head> tag, put this line of code:
        Code:
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css"  type="text/css" />
        Then just code as you are doing and you've got it!
        Last edited by CkretAjint; 07-29-2009, 11:30 PM.
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

So how do I assign different style sheets to different divs within the same html?
          -Sam

Comment

Same way you are doing it now. Nothing changes.

Comment

Ah, so including that line of code is basically telling it look tot he linked file for the style sheet, instead of looking at the top of the current html, basically?

That makes sense.
              -Sam

Comment

Bingo.

Comment

And I like the direction your heading in.

Using lightbox or any jquery effects to me should be like a standard at this point. It's fairly easy to implement. Basically anything that helps you create simplicity in navigation is a great design choice.

But also the whole I'm never satisfied thing is great. I've been like that since I got into this field over 10 years ago. My site is 1.5 years old and I'm dieing to redo it. Finding the time is always a challenge but I will start it over by end of August. I'm going to go with a whole CMS implementation where I can have every bell and whistle I want.

Always strive to be better, that is a great attitude.

Comment

a family emergency had me away from the computer for a few days, but I've been playing around tonight.

http://www.6644graphics.com/testing/newsite/

Thats the little bit of progress I've made. Installed lighbox, added another div for content (nothing final, as far as its placement or attributes yet) just trying to put stuff on the page and play with it at the moment. I feel like I'm actually getting the hang of it all, and I've noticed myself really staying out of the design view... its true, once you figure out what you're doing, design view messes you up.
                    -Sam

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your emercency, and pray everything is alright.

The site looks nice.

I have 1 question, please?

1. What made you decide to put + in between home + about + portfolio + contact?

Just curious?

Good job.
                      Please support justice for Bella

Comment

Originally posted by 6644Graphics
                        I've noticed myself really staying out of the design view... its true, once you figure out what you're doing, design view messes you up.
                        Down with design view, I agree.

What your site is lacking is content which makes it purposeless. No one wants to visit a purposeless site. If the purpose of the site is to display your work then focus on displaying your work. It doesn't need to be anything fancy so long as the purpose is clear. The biggest problem right now is lack of content and nothing works.

Comment

for css remember there is a hierarchy

Styles are read from external files, to in page styles, to inline styles (the importance increases in this list).

Also styles defined as #(id)style versus .(class) style. ID's are unique to 1 element only where classes can be used over and over again. Also they are called differently in code where id="" is used and class="" are the differentiators.

For the most part DIVS that have to do with layout will be ID's. Header, content, footer, etc.

check out the w3schools website as their tutorials are great.

Darryn Cooke : Orange County Graphic Designer

Comment

Originally posted by BeautyNut View Post
                            I'm sorry to hear about your emercency, and pray everything is alright.

The site looks nice.

I have 1 question, please?

1. What made you decide to put + in between home + about + portfolio + contact?

Just curious?

Good job.
                            Thanks. The + signs are kind of a carry over from my business card and I felt like they broke up the navigation links nicely. I liked it more than a blank space or | I guess.

Originally posted by darryncooke View Post
                            for css remember there is a hierarchy

Styles are read from external files, to in page styles, to inline styles (the importance increases in this list).

Also styles defined as #(id)style versus .(class) style. ID's are unique to 1 element only where classes can be used over and over again. Also they are called differently in code where id="" is used and class="" are the differentiators.

For the most part DIVS that have to do with layout will be ID's. Header, content, footer, etc.

check out the w3schools website as their tutorials are great.
                            Thanks, for that info. that was one thing I was kind of confused on but didn't really understand what to do about it. That makes sense.

This new site construction is going to be a slow process.. I'm glad to have all this help along the way as I'm trying to learn some new stuff and do more things the "right" way this time. I've definitely learned some cool things so far.
                            -Sam

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X