Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    thanks! could it be that you watched the site through Internet explorer ?
    I don’t know why but it pushes some things two pixel down. I work on a mac so I mostly tested it on chrome, safari...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • extraordenary
    First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Hey guys!
    I wanted to know what you guys think about my first poster design. I'm still in high school and I've just recently decided that I was going to pursue in this career path. Prior to this...
    Today, 05:26 AM
  • megoggsc
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    Thank you Billy! I am still working on it, but here is the version that I meant to upload. I emphasized the Portland sign a little more in this one. ...
    Today, 02:49 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    BillyLogan
    Designing is both a skill and a talent. It is naturally God-given but you can study about it some more to enhance it. I suggest that you go and study first about the basics, line, color, typography and...
    Today, 01:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making columns WITHOUT using tables

I have a situation where I have information that needs to be aligned vertically. Meeting Date --> Agenda --> Minutes I've tried using nonbreaking spaces, but since the dates are different lengths, the Agenda and Minutes links don't line up. I COULD just add additional nonbreaking spaces to make things line up, but that's sloppy the way I see it. (just like adding multiple tabs in a Word doc instead of setting 1 or 2 where they need to be)

Can you set "tabs" in html?

I know I can do this with tables, (that's what I started with) but the tables are causing the body of the page to drop down below the menu on the left.

I've used html and css for the site.

Please advise. (I've been looking at the w3schools online tutorials, but I must not be searching for the right thing)

You could set up three divs, and the content would automatically wrap itself inside them.

A link to see exactly what you're referring to would help tremendously.

Comment

<p> tag with "float:left;" style??
      Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

well, here's the "less than optimal" fix I've come up with.

www (dot) marshallcountyhealth (dot) org (slash) BOH (dot) html

please note, this site is designed for a rural county health department and most users will be using dial-up to access. it is simple for that reason. (plus I'm new at this...)

Comment

3 divs will solve this
          <div class="date"></div>
          <div class="agenda"></div>
          <div class="minutes"></div>
          set all divs to float left and set the minutes clear to right.

This also sounds like a job for an xml file...and you call the file to a repeating region, or even a mysql dbase.

Oh 1 thing that you will have to do here is to specify the column widths.

Darryn Cooke : Orange County Graphic Designer

Comment

I'd have thought it would be easier to just fix the problem with the table dropping below the menu.

The most likely causes are either that you're clearing the table or that it's too wide.

Comment

Sorry for being a newbie, but can you define "clearing the table"?

Comment

In the CSS there would be clear:left, clear:right or clear:both. This clears floats, which would make the cleared element sit below any floated elements.

Comment

You should be using a table for what most would consider to be tabular data.

Once its changed to a table the problem will be easier to resolve.
                  Last edited by tZ; 08-07-2009, 12:25 AM.

Comment

well, I started with a table. I can go back. I thought tables were passe.

Comment

Originally posted by PCCHDsue View Post
                      well, I started with a table. I can go back. I thought tables were passe.
                      Using tables for layout is bad. Using tables to show tabular data is good.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense. Back to the table I go.

Comment

I think it is a trap we all fall into. We start using tables for layout, realise that css is better and start think that tables are, therefore, bad. They are not. They are perfect for tabular data as Hew said.

It's all part of the learning curve....

Comment

luckily, I'm new enough to this that I didn't start with table-based layouts. However, I'm also new enough to this that I didn't know that tables weren't always bad.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                            Working...
                            X