Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pixelman
    Reply to Data merge in multiple text frames
    Pixelman
    Yeah thought about doing that at first but its for 1001 - 2001 numerically so no logic in doing it like that.
    Opted for a simpler option that involves automatic numbering, only had to try the other...
    Today, 10:59 AM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to InDesign and Illustrator - am I missing out?
    Lucifer
    That's interesting. I assume you live in America, B. I'm from India, and I've been to four different printers in the past year. All of them use CorelDRAW. Perhaps it's because CD is cheaper than the Adobe...
    Today, 08:59 AM
  • B
    B
    This is going to sound like I live in a cave by myself and never venture into the sunshine, but in my 30-plus years of working in this field, I've never personally encountered anyone who uses CorelDRAW,...
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • Lucifer
    Lucifer
    Thanks, Buda. So far I've used it to create a logo, business cards and various hotel menus. Everything gets done so much faster (I used to be a hardcore Photoshop guy). I'm going to get started with...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • EmberMike
    Reply to Is 9-to-5 a thing of the past?
    EmberMike
    My impression has been that people eat at their desks because there is too much work to be done. I put in 9.5 hours today at my desk, and most other people were there just as long or longer. Luckily for...
    Today, 04:38 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help getting started..

Hey guys..

I was wondering if you could give me some advice one some aspects of website designing.

My work is expecting a website from me over the next 2 weeks or so and frankly its an area where I'm very weak in.

Whenever we did this in college I wasnt that interested in it, and we almost always did website projects in groups so it ended up me not learning too much about it.

Im mainly pertaining to the coding of HTML and CSS. I'm very good in photoshop so thats not a worry, its just the coding.

When I open dreamweaver I just panic as I dont know what I'm doing, when I did website work previously I had alot of help aiding me, in this case I have none.

Someone suggested w3school.com? ...

I'd need the know the basics upwards to be honest, this is something I know I need to knock on the head, even for the sake of my own website which I'll need to do eventually.

Thanks.

W3Schools is definitely a good place to start.

There are also a lot of good resources in this sticky thread above.

Comment

"My work is expecting a website from me over the next 2 weeks or so and frankly its an area where I'm very weak in."

Ok, this may sound rude, but why on earth would you tell your place of employment you could have a website done in two weeks if you're not confident in making it?
      “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by xc-runner View Post
        "My work is expecting a website from me over the next 2 weeks or so and frankly its an area where I'm very weak in."

Ok, this may sound rude, but why on earth would you tell your place of employment you could have a website done in two weeks if you're not confident in making it?
        I was wondering the same thing...

If you have some money, Lynda.com is a great resource.

Comment

Thats beside the point (its an internship)...

This might be naive of me to say, but I assumed what they are asking me to do would be done by a website programmer and not a graphic designer.

I have no problem in designing the website but once it comes to programming its another ball game all together.

Its not just a website..I work as their graphic designer..I've already designed them a logo and I'm going to be doing other aspects like stationary and tradeshow signage in the near future.

Comment

Goodness, some people (referring to your employers) may have NO idea what work and skills it necessarily takes to build a webpage.

A lot of people with no graphic or web design experience think building a webpage is simply like myspace. I don't think they realize the amount of knowledge and skills required.

You might need DreamWeaver to help you get started in this project.

Of course, others know a lot more than me.

I was only thinking that DW would help you in this bind of a situation.
            Best of Luck!
            Please support justice for Bella

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie
              This might be naive of me to say, but I assumed what they are asking me to do would be done by a website programmer and not a graphic designer.
              More like a front-end developer. Most people who have little knowledge of the web industry tend to misunderstand the role of a designer in regards to building websites. I would would recommend hacking something together in good ol' DW for now. Its going to be impossible to learn all the things a front-end developer would know in two weeks. Let alone handle both the design and client side programming.

You better watch out and make sure they aren't expecting a easy way to manage content also. If they are then your probably in a world of misery because then we begin talking about actual programming not just HTML and CSS. Which does not fall under the responsibility of the designer but back-end programmers.

Maybe its time to talk to your employer and rethink the deadline and/or expectations based on your current skill level.

However, if this site is something simple like 1-5 pages static then two weeks should be more then plenty even more someone just starting out. If they are expecting something more along the lines of a Web Application that would require dynamic features then its going to take much much much longer. Anywhere from a month to a year depending on the site requirements. Its difficult to gauge time unless you have a concise list of requirements. This something you should ultimately discuss with your employer/boss before you even begin jumping into Photoshop or coding.
              Last edited by tZ; 08-12-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan View Post
                W3Schools is definitely a good place to start.

There are also a lot of good resources in this sticky thread above.
                Every time I see one of these threads, I am reminded of how much I suck!
                “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBrie View Post
                  Every time I see one of these threads, I am reminded of how much I suck!
                  Aw, sorry.

But, surely, with all those great resources everyone gave you, you no longer suck. In fact, maybe you've even caught a case of awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                    Hey guys..

I was wondering if you could give me some advice one some aspects of website designing.

My work is expecting a website from me over the next 2 weeks or so and frankly its an area where I'm very weak in.

Whenever we did this in college I wasnt that interested in it, and we almost always did website projects in groups so it ended up me not learning too much about it.

Im mainly pertaining to the coding of HTML and CSS. I'm very good in photoshop so thats not a worry, its just the coding.

When I open dreamweaver I just panic as I dont know what I'm doing, when I did website work previously I had alot of help aiding me, in this case I have none.

Someone suggested w3school.com? ...

I'd need the know the basics upwards to be honest, this is something I know I need to knock on the head, even for the sake of my own website which I'll need to do eventually.

Thanks.

Ouch! You just shot yourself in the foot! Trust me, you can be a photoshop master and it wouldn't help you with css/html at all because that's exactly what I used to be! Anyway, check out this tutorial. It might save your job! lol Don't even try to attempt to slice up an intricate PSD file and use this tutorial because you'll make things harder on yourself and you won't make your deadline. I suggest that you make a nice looking header in PS and use bg colors for the rest of the sections as shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3KESBQTD8k

Good luck man!

Comment

Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement guys...

I also dont have that many people to get critiques off. I suppose I expected to hit the ground running with this, but alas it hasn't happened.

Today I did the first draft design for the website. They told me that they liked the layout and composition, but the content wasnt correct (of course it wouldnt, they gave me nothing to go on from the start, I assumed the various aspects that would be implimented on this sort of webpage.

So..Im doing 2 more concept mock-ups , then they'll choose which one they prefer.

I know Im going to be pulling my hair out with this one, but I know that I need to learn this information if not for the sake of the job, but for the sake of my own abilily to create my own website and my new job venture I'm doing on the side.

I'll keep you updated

Comment

>Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement guys...<

You might want to consider using something like Joomla. I had dabbled in CSS and HTML for a few years. I had wanted to build my own website, and got into Joomla a few months ago. There are a lot of templates you can take and modify. Some people think it's harder to modify existing templates vs. starting from scratch. I see benefits both ways, but was able to edit one of the default templates that comes with Joomla. There are a lot of add ons for Joomla. Just a thought if you are in a time crunch.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X