Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• php email form - min. characters required?

I am using the well-known sendit.php file to email an online form. My goal is to obtain a person's full name. This form is used by existing clients and I would like to prevent them from entering initials in the name fields. I am aware nothing can prevent a client from typing random characters but thought setting a minimum of characters would persuade them to fill it out accurately.

I have already set the first and last name fields as "required." Now I want to ensure that more than 3 characters are entered by the viewer. Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure how to do this... but not sure you would want to.
    I actually know people whose legal name is only two letters... might be frustrating for them if they can't enter their name...
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I've never heard of sendit.php, but you know how to work with PHP you can use the strlen() function to check the length of a given string:

PHP Code:
      $fname strlen($_POST['fname']);

if (
      $fname 4)
      {

//Code telling PHP what to do if the first name is less than 4 characters...

I agree with Audentia that someone named Al or Sue would probably be very frustrated at not being able to enter their name (I have a friend whose legal name is Kim).

Digi
      The world is divided into people who think they are right.
      —Anonymous

Comment

empty() is a more user friendly option. I wouldn't recommend a minimum length because as others have said it is possible to have a 2 or 3 character name. I don't think it would be bad though to check for more then 1 using strlen().
        Last edited by tZ; 08-21-2009, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah, don't be hatin on all the Bos and Eds
          “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

I work with someone whose last name is Ng. He'd be unable to fill out your form properly.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Lots of people wouldn't be able to use it.

Tom, Tim, Jim, Pam, Kim, Joe, Jak, Wu, Mat.
              Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

LOL! Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback very much.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X