Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    Cosmo
    The name may not mean much to a lot of you, but just found out Steve Hed - one of the pioneers in bicycle wheel design - passed away today. I ride a set of his wheels on my race bike.

ht...
    Today, 08:56 PM
  • justproud2b
    General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Hello All,

I ended up finding this website in a search for information help to my issue. I need people for a sounding board. I'm trying to rebrand myself and I am struggling with a direction...
    Today, 08:31 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    PrintDriver
    Find your nearest university with a graphic design program.
    Apply.

You need the theory, not the tutorials.
    Today, 08:30 PM
  • creare
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    creare
    I'am new york , take a character important , how to say I'm special , I'm important , and who are you ..

Today, 08:24 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Personal Logo Concepts
    creare
    oh..oh.. is a great problem , you need to look at the best logos that have been made, for example, look for works of important studies; three basic things, simplicity ', uniqueness', visible also in...
    Today, 07:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMS tools

Heya, it's been a LONG TIME. Some of you may remember me.

I have two sites that appear very different but the requirements are actually quite similar:

One is a real estate site with local home listings. We don't have to worry about linking to outside listings or anything like that.

Another is an equipment dealership that also wants to post their own listings.

I have experience with Expression Engine but haven't built a site with it lately. What are the latest and greatest tools out there for building a client-managed site like that? Neither one of these customers are interesting in spending a single dime extra (as usual).

Thanks for the tips and hopefully I'll hang around here a little more often now...
    *insert inane quote here*

If they're wanting to add listings to the site, I guess it depends on how complex they plan to have it. I would imagine something with a backend to log into and customizable fields. Don't know anything about Expression Engine (and I think that CMS costs money). WordPress's meta/custom fields can be used to enter form/field items, but it's hardly intuitive unless the client remembers to enter those dropdown fields.

My vote would be with Drupal and it's CCK module as it's very versatile for customization above other CMS's. (In fact, I'm moving a client off of WordPress onto Drupal right now.) However, Drupal has a VERY steep and frustrating learning curve.

Short story? It's gonna cost them. I want a new car that I don't have to pay much for, but it ain't happening either
    Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 08-28-2009, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info, Patrick. I'll check out Drupal. I'm going back for a web development degree (just starting) so I'm trying to immerse myself in a few of the more technical (and difficult) sides of the web.

Comment

I'd give Expression Engine a second look. I'm just getting into it, and it has been awesome so far. it does cost money for a license, but you get better support and help. I've had all of my questions posted on their forum answered within an hour.

Comment

I was over on the Drupal site and a few people were complaining about the speed of the framework once mods are in place. A few recommended ModX instead. Does anyone have experience with this CFS system? I'm reading through the documentation on both. I'll probably end up installing them both and playing around with them before making a decision.

Comment

Hmm, I've run Drupal with many modules and never had any major issue with performance problem. D6 is the latest (D7 is around the corner.) Still, whether it's Drupal, Joomla, WordPress or whatnot, modules will always add some overhead to it, even minutely. I guess you can say modules are only as good and efficient as the developers who made them, and two of Drupal's more important and versatile modules (CCK and Views) is champ. (They're actually being rolled into D7's core if I'm not mistaken.)

Like I said though, it depends on your client's needs. If all they want to do is just have WYSIWYG page editing abilities, then Drupal is way overkill. I typically stick with something like WordPress or Joomla for something like that. If they need a lot of custom forms, content types, functionality, etc, then I go with Drupal.

Don't know anything about ModX, sorry.

Comment

I'm hosting a test of both Drupal and modX on one of my sites... Gonna play around with them before making any decisions. The clients aren't going to need a TON of options, but the ability to expand as I see fit down the road is always nice.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X