X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even more glitches...help!

So, I've just completed yet another website that seems to have more glitches.

The site is as follows:
    http://epapers.org.previewdns.com/amgcorp/

When viewed in Internet Explorer, the site displays perfectly. However, when viewed in Firefox, the header at the top has a gap going through the image, and the right sidebar also has gaps running through it. This is odd because the left sidebar, which is identical, seems to be showing up fine.
    If someone can view>source again and tell me what the problem is here, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much (again) in advance!

It actually looks screwy in IE8 and FF
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

Yep screwed up for me too in FF on a Mac.
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I tried to figure it out but gave after your code annoyed me. Seriously, how can one find anything with everything labeled "text1", "text2", "text3"... etc??

Why is there CSS and javascript in the middle of your document?

Also, "<span class="text3">" should be <p> tags with a style associated to them. And "<br>&nbsp;<br>" is a no-no.
        Last edited by CkretAjint; 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM.
        Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Meesh View Post
          So, I've just completed yet another website that seems to have more glitches.

The site is as follows:
          http://epapers.org.previewdns.com/amgcorp/

When viewed in Internet Explorer, the site displays perfectly. However, when viewed in Firefox, the header at the top has a gap going through the image, and the right sidebar also has gaps running through it. This is odd because the left sidebar, which is identical, seems to be showing up fine.
          If someone can view>source again and tell me what the problem is here, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much (again) in advance!
          I don't have time to read through all your code and tell you how to fix everything, but I will give you a few pointers:

You're getting gaps in the header because the text in the middle td cell is taller than the height of the images in the cells on either side of it. Different browsers & operating systems render fonts differently. That might not be a big deal when it's just one line, but when you have a whole paragraph it can make a noticeable difference. The problem with the gap right td cell is also table related. Check the td background color—the problem is easy to miss, but you'll find it if you look carefully.

Your code generates a lot of errors. Run it through http://validator.w3.org/ to see what I mean. Part of the problem is that you're using the incorrect doctype for the way you're writing your markup. See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_DOCTYPE.asp for more info. Either change your markup to match your existing doctype, or change the doctype to match your markup.

Your markup is bad all round—it's not semantically correct, it's messy, and the CSS is awful. Table based layouts have always been and will always be problematic at best, and a total nightmare at worst.

You're probably going to dislike me for saying this, but it will help you in the long run: If you're being paid to build web sites—and it seems that you are considering that this is a business related site—then you need to learn how to code properly and stop relying on CoffeeCup (or any other editor) to write your code for you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using an editor to help you do things faster, but only if you know what you're doing first. And judging by your questions I don't think you do, at least not according to modern best practices.

Sooo, if you're going to be building more sites, do yourself a favor and spend some time getting up to speed once you get your existing projects off your plate. If you learn to write clean, cross-browser, standards complaint code you'll be doing both yourself & your clients (or employer) a huge favor. You'll also have a much greater chance of getting help via forums because, as I mentioned previously, table based layouts can be nightmarishly difficult to troubleshoot (i.e. most experienced coders aren't going to waste their time helping you fix something that was a bad practice to begin with).

Digi
          Last edited by digizan; 10-07-2009, 10:12 PM.
          The world is divided into people who think they are right.
          —Anonymous

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X