• KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello GDF!
    KitchWitch
    Mini welcome tacos!

Today, 12:46 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to School assignment: Collateral campaign
    PrintDriver
    Um...do you seriously want to focus on blowing bubbles for a disease that pretty much drowns you in mucous???
    Today, 12:31 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to New Logo
    Roth
    The blue scales remind me of Bumblebee's face. Whichever way you choose to go, make it the simpler version, so for example the two circles rather than the literal scales, you want to show not tell. Make...
    Yesterday, 10:33 PM
  • Roth
    Reply to Poster critique
    Roth
    He looks like he's been in a fight with a cassette.

You can't do a poster and assume you'll throw all the imporant when and where stuff in later. They're integral.
    Yesterday, 10:24 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Hello GDF!
    <b>
    Just to make sure that you're not mistaken about that, here's a reminder not to forget these very important links here and here. Seriously, welcome to the forum!...
    Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a price quote generator to products on website

I am looking to add a price quote generator for products in an online store. On the right of this page is an example of what it would look like:

http://www.uprinting.com/print/Business-Cards.html

I'm need to get the store and quote system up within a rather tight deadline. So if anyone knows of a service which charges a small fee to host something like this (with templates, etc.) I would be willing to take that route for the meantime.

Ever though about hiring someone to write one for you?

Comment

Yup, already thought of that.

Comment

So did it pan out, or are you still in the dark?

Comment

Look, I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this project. OF COURSE I considered hiring someone. That is a no-brainer. I'm open to doing the project myself if it were the best option. I was asking for suggestions when I created this post, not condescension, kthanx.

Comment

I'm no web designer so I can't be of any specific help. But those things are pretty common, I'm sure you can buy a template. It gets pretty dead around here on the weekends but one of our web people will see this soon and offer some help.

Comment

Thank you Supreme Moderator

Comment

No one was condescending. This is obviously something beyond your current capabilities, and so i asked a question. You gave me HALF an answer, and i asked for the other half. That means that you half-ass participate in your own thread, and i have wasted MY time on you.

If you don't even know where to start with this, then go do your homework, because anyone who tells you where to start will only lead you to your next question, and it will not end until someone does it for you or walks you through it.

Someone was offering you help, and you didn't even have the common curtesy to give a complete answer to their quesiton. That is condescencion; and you are are a hypocrite.

Comment

Ok, please go away.

Comment

You're a whinny little bitch. I was ALREADY AWAY, and you replied to compel me to come back just to see your adolescent statement. If you really wanted someone to stay away, you would leave them gone. If you don't want to hear what others have to say, STAY THE **** OUT OF THE FORUM. People like you make me sick. You ask for a favor, and then cry like a little girl when it isn't exactly what you wanted.

Comment

Bye bye Alex, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Comment

Sorry about that dreamydesigner, I don't know what hole this obnoxious little turd crawled out of but he is gone permanently now.

Comment

That type of web application needs programming knowledge. You can do something in AJAX or Ruby on Rails, but you'll need to create something on the back-end that will interact with the web site.

Here is an example of a calculator in action: http://www.getobjects.com/Examples/webapp.html

There shouldn't be a separate charge from a hosting company for a web app. Most hosts are agnostic towards the files you upload (excluding illegal files). If you're looking for a host that offers that kind of script as a hosting package, then I think you'll need to research. Its not really a common feature unless you're buying a complete "online store" hosting package, such as Shopify.com.
                          Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

You could just use javascript to do it, it'd be simpler. Look up jQuery, it's a javascript framework. The calculator should be pretty simple to do once you get a hang of it.
                            portfolio | daily image | reffee

Comment

The problem is your asking for something very specific to your needs. In that case you would need to build it yourself. On a tight deadline its probably out of reach without some type back-end experience. Unless you would like a very simple api where a single product displays a single price. That "could" be hard coded using JavaScript but anything including multiple level of options would almost certainly require some form of application level programming and most likely a database. probably not the answer you would like to hear but it is what is.

Perhaps if you presented us with EXACTLY what you would like to do people could better assist you. I really would need to know every little detail about what your trying to accomplish along with the platform and data to recommend the most practical approach.

So with that said the your example is very specialized the the business which it relates. There is a lot of AJAX at work there which I'm assuming runs a sequence of queries each time to calculate the price for every option. That system probably uses a series of relational tables in a database for all that pricing information. So you aren't just talking JavaScript here but a Database such as MySQL paired with an application level programming language. I'm sure all that product information is inter related on the database side of things so that items can be purchased and the system presented is based of that schema. That site most likely has a very complex and specific system for managing product and option data relative to its needs. Most likely something that is not easily cloned or created.

Armed with that knowledge perhaps you can be a little more realistic in your goal paired with your skill level. Does your website have a product management system such as a shopping cart?
                              Last edited by tZ; 10-24-2009, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X