Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    garricks
    That's exactly the method we use to prepare our slides, like a billboard.
    Yesterday, 11:49 PM
  • BearClawz
    Lion Vector Logo
    BearClawz
    Logo created for a Twitch.tv streamer who streams Halo. Below are the logo, and the offline banner he'll be using soon. Criticize to your fullest extent

Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • wikster63
    Creating an Image for a car sticker
    wikster63
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've got a quandary on my hands and was hoping someone could shine some light on this for me. Attached is an image of a car, please see it for this question. My client...
    Yesterday, 10:27 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    <b>
    Are you the designer, the printer, the merchant or all of them? A designer doesn't typically base fees on the number that will be printed. A printer, on the other hand, does do that. Even when a designer...
    Yesterday, 10:23 PM
  • cdgc
    Retail vs Contract Pricing
    cdgc
    Looking for some input on this matter.

Many years ago we published a map for railroad enthusiasts that was 1/1 black and folded several times into 3.5" by 9". Nothing all that...
    Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name as domain

I tend to not use names as domains. This is mainly because my name is very very very common. So I think up catchy domain names, but I'm thinking for my latest design portfolio/blog that I might use my own moniker.
    But to do so, I would have to add a "design" or something on the end.

What are your thoughts on this?

sounds fine to me. Helps to strengthen what you do in the domain.
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

I like name/domains, but usually they're all taken, are you sure it's even available?
      “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

i have my first and last name because i snagged the domain almost a decade ago. i use that domain for my teaching/expressive/writing website. my studio has its own name we use for professional work but we had to add "design" to the end of the URL even tho the business name does not have that word in it. (XYZdesign.com instead of just XYZ.com) we also have a version with the corporation version (XYZltd.com) as well as a few other variations.

i think having your name for a domain is something parents should try and buy for their kids when they are born

Comment

Since my name is super common, I can't get it .com, but I can get myname.org or mynamedesign.com

What are your thoughts?
          I like having a catchy domain name for the design biz, but in all actuality, it will really come down to marketing myself and making myself memorable. And as I think about it, people will likely search for me by name. I already have an llc, and that domain name is being used as something else - so this venture would be a dba.

Thoughts? mynamedesign.com or myname.org?

Comment

go for the .com

Comment

or i can do mynamewithmiddleinitial.com

Comment

Definitely mynamedesign.com

Comment

To me, .org = nonprofit company. I'd go with .com.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

You know they released the top level domain .me So mine could be Samdiener.me ... its kinda cool. A little more expensive, but cool.

I just hate how they reserved all of the good ones for premium auction. Like hire.me and f.me and you get it.....

19,000$ plus. Kind of overrules the free spirit of the net.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much stock into domain names. Back in the early days of the internet domain names sold for top dollar because they were one of the most reliable ways to find a web site. Today Google and other search sites are usually the first spot people go to find a business or individuals. It is more important that you client knows your name than your URL. Don't spend more than $20 on a domain...tops.

If you really want to "own" your persona, fill out a Google Profile. It will make your profile show up when people search your name. You can make your profile link to all the sites you own/use. There might be 10 or 100 people that show up in your name search, but you can list your occupation and company name in the byline that shows up right below your name.
                      Last edited by SurfPark; 10-31-2009, 04:20 AM.
                      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

That's pretty cool, Surf, I didn't know you could have a google profile.
                        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

yournamedesign.com or yournameportfolio.com something like that would be ideal for a personal portfolio and advertising yourself.

Jake
                          Personal Portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X