Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Halloween!!!!
    Red Kittie Kat

Eat lots of candy all you Groovie Graphic Ghoulies!!! ...
    Today, 11:46 AM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to NEW! Coca Cola !!!!LIFE!!!! font or similar?
    Red Kittie Kat
    I'm going to agree with <b> I believe that is a custom design job, not a font. There is a similar font called Thought Zest which might work for what you are looking for....
    Today, 11:28 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    PrintDriver
    Quite honestly?
    It's a cover for a project you've been working on.
    Because we do not know what your project was that is using this cover, there is no way to know if it works or not.
    Today, 11:10 AM
  • captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name/hosting HELP!

Hey everyone. I just bought a domain name for my portfolio site. I simply know the basics of dreamweaver and how to create pages and link them. However, I know nothing about hosting, publishing the site, etc. I do not want to pay someone to do this for me because I feel as a designer I need to know these things but is there any good resources out there they explain all of this.

My biggest question is, I bought a domain name from GoDaddy, does that include hosting or is that something I have to pay separately? That site is so confusing, but I didn't know of where else to buy the domain name.

Yeah, the amount of advertising GoDaddy constantly shoves in your face can make the process confusing. Sometimes I wonder if they do that to trick people into ordering things. To answer your question, unless you signed up for some sort of special package deal, you need to purchase hosting separately.

I wouldn't recommend getting hosting with GoDaddy, however doing so would probably make things easier for you in that you wouldn't need to figure out how to change your nameservers to point to hosting located elsewhere. This article by Agency Byte might help you understand things a little better: How Website Hosting Works (in Plain English)

Digi
    The world is divided into people who think they are right.
    —Anonymous

Comment

As far as website hosting providers go I have found fatcow.com to be the most reliable and fair priced. I have had experience with numerous others and none were comparable to fatcow.

- Cyurk

Comment

I use webhostingpad for my website, and I've never had any complaints. They offer a lot of features, their help section is very, well, helpful, and their prices are fair. Regardless of what host you use, your experience will probably be a lot smoother if you use FTP software to upload files to your site (FTP allows you to drag and drop files from your desktop, and also allows you to upload several dozen files at once) vs. logging into your site's CPanel and uploading files one by one using its interface.

The FTP I use is Filezilla, which is very popular. (and free.) For more about it, check here: http://filezilla-project.org/client_features.php

Comment

we buy domains from easyhosting.com
          You get the web address. And hosting is extra.
          We use a private freelancer (who is local) to host our sites as then we don't have to deal with crazy permissions and site stuff with big companies.
          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Originally posted by okeegraphicgirl View Post
            My biggest question is, I bought a domain name from GoDaddy, does that include hosting or is that something I have to pay separately?
            You want to host separately. Keep as much as you can away from GoDaddy.

Originally posted by okeegraphicgirl View Post
            That site is so confusing, but I didn't know of where else to buy the domain name.
            You called it, GoDaddy has the worst, most cluttered garbage site ever. xD Once you register a domain with them, they'll also spam you for renewals for at least half a dozen years after you've canceled their services and moved on with somebody decent. They're greedy, annoying pigs.

I would suggest either namesecure.com or namecheap.com for your domain registration. Namesecure is my fave but they don't accept PayPal, which is why I now use Namecheap for their flexible payment options (they even let me keep a charged account with them, which is very convenient). I've got about 10 domains with namecheap, from .com to .ca.

I won't suggest a webhost because I offer my own hosting services and don't want a conflict of interest.
            Last edited by Ned; 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I have my domain with DomainSpot and my hosting with UCWebhost. I have not had any problem with either. DomainSpot used to answer the phone and give live tech support, don't know what the policy is now. With UCWebhost I get e-mails if there's been downtime (not often) and that my account will be credited, in accordance with their 100% uptime guarantee. I just got a bill for $62/yr.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X