Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    kemingMatters
    Hi GDGD and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 02:48 PM
  • GDGD
    Vendor Creative
    GDGD
    Does anybody know if there are rules about changing flyer creative received from a vendor's agency? We get a lot of "vendor creative" and I provide our specs regarding file format and minimum...
    Today, 02:41 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    <b>
    Readability -- especially on a poster -- is right up there at the top of what's most important. Your question indicates that you're already seeing problems. Just sort of mostly readable isn't good enough...
    Today, 02:09 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    kemingMatters
    That's a good idea buda
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Custom social icons
    PanToshi
    The "backgrounds" are part of the logo.
    Today, 01:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Design Books: Any new books worth purchasing?

Are there any new Web Design / Coding books worth purchasing?

I'm desperately seeking a web design/coding book to help a beginner like myself.

Any suggestions?

My courses at a local college are NOT helping, and I'm really discouraged at this point.

- We haven't built the first web page.
    - Where should I start?
    - How can I teach myself the basics?
    - I feel VERY lost and hurt.

I truly appreciate any advice and tips.
    (I apologize, because I'm not having the best experiences with Web Design at this moment).
    Please support justice for Bella

I don't think you need books at this stage, there is loads to trawl through on the web. I started with www.htmldog.com and www.w3schools.com then when I needed something more advanced I got a couple of books. But at this stage you need to learn HTML and CSS and get to grips with that.

Comment

There's definitely so much free stuff out there on the Internet (the web design community is fantastic in its general willingness to help its own) that especially in the beginner stages there's really no need to shell out money for it. W3schools and HTMLDog, like obesebee mentioned, are both great; I got almost my entire grounding in web coding from w3schools and they're very step-by-step about the process. Tizag.com is another good one; though for the most part it's more focused on scripting (a slightly more advanced topic), it also has a solid HTML tutorial and CSS tutorial for beginners.

You'll want to start out by learning about HTML (HyperText Markup Language), which is the markup that you use to create the basic skeleton structure of your page and its content. When you feel comfortable with that, move on to CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) which you can use to style up that basic content and make it all pretty-like.

The most important thing is -- don't get discouraged. Even if your school is not providing the best support for you (sinful), there are literally thousands of people on the Internet (like us) who are more than willing to give you a hand. Web design can seem a bit intimidating at first, but in the long run it is a *lot* of fun.

Comment

obesebee,
        Thank you so much.
        I truly appreciate your advice and suggested websites.
        I will be learning from them now.

I think you are right - books may be a little too overwhelming right now?

I just wish there was a basic book for someone completely new like myself that really provided step-by-step details.

Maybe I'm wanting too much?
        Please support justice for Bella

Comment

you should use Lynda.com - here is a link to a free 30-day trial. there are 4 or 5 courses there that really nail 90% of what you need to know in a very easy to learn video tutorial style.

http://www.lynda.com/promo/freepass/...aspx?lpk35=326

Comment

the search feature is your friend at the GDF, it doesn't mind being used like most friends

LINK

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Try HEAD FIRST Books. . . they do one for HTML and CSS and it takes you through step by step. I invested in it and have built 3 websites (admittedly they are all very similar) but it's a good book to start with and very easy to use. A book means you can go back and find something when you're not sure. It gives exercises and you build a couple of websites - all in HTML & CSS

Comment

My entire knowledge and understanding of web design started with playing around with MediaWiki software. From there i learnt CSS and some html.

For example, i frequently googled tags and syntax i didnt understand just to see what comes up. A lot of the time it went to w3schools.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X