Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh... Should I use JPEG, GIF, Tiff or PNG in my site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TV show 'The Shield'?

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Comment

Surely not MEDIEVAL shields?!?

I haven't lost my mind... it's backed up on disk somewhere.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

What shields?? Gawwdd what did I miss guys?

lol

Power to the Oldschoolers
        I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

cjoe's sig on the previous page says 'i hate shields' - I was just curious.

I haven't lost my mind... it's backed up on disk somewhere.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

haaaaa!! Ohhhh ok! I missed that.

So yeah...what kinda shields? Kool's right..maybe its winshields. Sometimes I hate em too like when they get foggy or they are kinda dirty or I know when we get ice on em which is really rare here but it has happened twice this year! LOL

Power to the Oldschoolers
            I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

png looks better but they may not be read by all browsers so go with jpeg

Comment

Limedesign, you could do good by really learning how the 'safe for web' feature really works and try to learn the compression methods as well.
                Here are a few things to remember.

jpegs support 16 million colors, so use them for pictures etc...play with the image quality and try to save it at the fine line between low size and good quality.
                Gifs are 256 colors and two neat things you can do are lock a color so it matches a background and it also supports transparency. Same goes for pngs

Also, one thing never mentioned here but is super helpful to image heavy content is the slice tool.
                Slice up a big image and place it back together using tables. you'd be surprised how 8, 20k images will load so much faster than 1, 160k image.

Big Brother is Watching

Comment

My understanding of the formats are:
                  TIFF doesnt compress the image at all,therefore it is really big in size and should only be used when printing. Most webpages run with 256 colours therefore GIF is the best to use for saving stuff unless you have a photograph or high quality image...then you use JPG. not everyone in the world has fast internet.......rember that! My connection speed is 33kb at the moment (dial-up) it would take me four years to download a tiff file.

Comment

>>TIFF doesnt compress the image at all<<
                    Um... no, that's not right. TIFF has plenty of compression options. In fact, it may well be the overall most flexible and open image format out there except it's not truly supported in web production. In fact, you can even create a JPG within a TIF 'shell' now since Photoshop 6. And in black and white, TIFF has -byte/pixel possibly the lowest ratio if you go to the CCITT4 compression scheme that's used in, among other things, PDF files for one bit colour images. But most commonly supported is LZW compression for print work.

>>Most webpages run with 256 colours therefore GIF is the best to use for saving stuff unless you have a photograph or high quality image<<

Maybe 6-8 years ago that was an argument, but most web designers today assume 24 bit colour. GIF is still great for anything with flat colours, or crisp edges--like type. Or, where you need transparency. PNG has a very wide combination of web-friendly options and colour spaces, but there's still some residual 'browser lag' out there.

>>then you use JPG. not everyone in the world has fast internet.......rember that!<<

If it's bytes to save, and it's a photo-- remember that JPG is usually smaller than GIF.

Comment

What about Brooke Shields...?

I would've taken over the world, but I got distracted by shiny things.

Ooo! Shiny things!
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought he meant windshields....
                        Fondly.

Learn more about me here!

Comment

JPG deffinatly, High quality, and very small..i would go with that

http://www.adsgx.tk

Comment

As someone else stated...

It used to be a rule that if you were using an image with "many colors" such as a photo, you automatically used .jpg and if you were using an image with "few colors and large single color fields" such as a cartoon you used .gif.

But with the great compression tools available, that rule no longer applies.

Use the Photoshop "Save for web" feature. In there you can fiddle around with different settings until you get the look and file size you want.

BUT, use HTML in place of images as much as possible. This will help keep your site fast loading.
                            Rus

http://www.rusanderson.com
                            http://www.zoomandfocus.com
                            http://www.shinysolutions.com

Comment

Use GIF.

I would reccomend PNG but pitty it is that IE does not support it.
                              PNG is better: much smaller and better compression than GIF.
                              For photos use JPG because of the true colors and sampling.

Sadly we have to wait for MS to implement PNG support in IE.

Jungsonn
                              www.jungsonn.com

Comment

You can display PNG in IE, you just can't use transparency with it.
                                The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X