Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Comment on Graphic Design tutorials
    B
    It's sort of the Dadaist approach to design, I guess.
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
  • B
    Reply to General Branding (Re-branding)
    B
    You're engaging in linear thinking and being too literal about it. If you've settled on working with the idea of "pride," keep in mind that it's an emotional state and not a physical thing....
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    Buda
    The style reminds of cut and paste punk posters of the 1970s. I think the thing about those posters is they were kind of anti-design.
    Yesterday, 11:31 PM
  • Buda
    Comment on What do you want to know?
    Buda
    I think rabbits are going to be the next cats. You should do a series of videos about rabbits that are freelance graphic designers and the business issues they face.
    Yesterday, 11:29 PM
  • Buda
    Comment on What do you want to know?
    Buda
    I had that happen to me once in my life. I wasn't even dreaming. I couldn't replicate the situation again though. Maybe it was my unicorn.
    Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need something like IGN's page.

Hey again people. I've been looking at IGN's page for profiling there games.

I need something that will replicate this page - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/objects/094/094314.html

As you can see its a page dedicated to the game, and every other game has a page identical. I don't know what it is they are using to get the effect. Ecah article written about the game is on the page which keeps everything related to the game in one place, along with being posted on the homepage at the time of posting.

It says objects in the url aswell, which i dont get. Can anyone help with getting something like this for my gaming website. I run a site that reviews, previews and posts news about gaming. I wanted to make a profile like IGN's for each and every game i write about.

Anyone?

Originally posted by aaronjunited View Post
    Hey again people. I've been looking at IGN's page for profiling there games.

I need something that will replicate this page - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/objects/094/094314.html

As you can see its a page dedicated to the game, and every other game has a page identical. I don't know what it is they are using to get the effect. Ecah article written about the game is on the page which keeps everything related to the game in one place, along with being posted on the homepage at the time of posting.

It says objects in the url aswell, which i dont get. Can anyone help with getting something like this for my gaming website. I run a site that reviews, previews and posts news about gaming. I wanted to make a profile like IGN's for each and every game i write about.

Anyone?
    Are you talking about the background image that relates to the game? If so, that's pretty straight forward web design 101 stuff.

The "objects" in the URL is just their site structure and doesn't mean anything in particular.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Background Image, read what I said, I know how to put a background image on a website.

The whole page isnt just a page there is something running on that page to give the desired effect. It's a profile for the game and every article is related to the game. It's not just a normal page, there is some sort of plugin that manages this, its almost a database for each game.

Comment

I want a page like that, for every game i write about. But it's more than just a basic html page with links, it's bound to have got plugins and things making it feature like that.

Comment

I did read what you said. If you want help with something, it would probably be a good idea to be a little more polite to people.

I don't see any plugins or anything special on that page. Looks like basic CSS to me. Could be some javascript, but everything on there could be done with CSS.

Comment

Sorry I wasnt being rude, I apologise. Your serious that page has just basic css?

Comment

I had a look at the page source, its mind boggling css and javascript. I cant find any of the css for the page though, its all relating to other pages and different parts of the site.

Really annoying me, this is a simple page. It would take a heck of a lot of work to do this for every game IGN has on there site, and thats thousands.

Comment

It could easily be done with php and a well structured mysql database using keywords to generate the related links and images.

And of course html and css.
                "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

I see, can you catch my drift when I mean its a page with all the relating content to the game. It has advertising space, a links off to other pages that relate to the game. A whole profile of anything and everything related to the game basically.

but could you incorporate that into wordpress, and update it with CMS?

Comment

I can't tell by looking at the source code exactly how it was built, but I'm certain it's the result of a content management system (CMS) of some sort. You could build something similar using Joomla or Drupal, then customize it with various add-ons, of which there are literally thousands to choose from. You'd still need to hand-customize the HTML/CSS and likely do some custom PHP work too, but most of the functionality could be built around an open source CMS and low-cost add-ons.

Comment

Finally someone see's it, IGN recently moved from there own custom CMS to wordpress, i read this article - http://publisherblog.automattic.com/...cms-wordpress/ - and it made me realise I want something like this on my site.

I know basic HTML and CSS, I'm actually reading Head first HTML & CSS oriley book. PHP I haven't got a a clue lol.

Those custom add-ons would be hard to find? No?

Comment

Finally someone see's it, IGN recently moved from there own custom CMS to wordpress, i read this article - http://publisherblog.automattic.com/...cms-wordpress/ - and it made me realise I want something like this on my site.

I know basic HTML and CSS, I'm actually reading Head first HTML & CSS oriley book. PHP I haven't got a a clue lol.

You don't need a CMS for that. CMS's just make things easier and usually require less knowledge from the person working on the site. Everything could be done with plain old code.

You don't really need PHP either. That does make things a lot easier, but it could be done without it.

Comment

I would prefer CMS for that, cause I will be updating the site daily. And it needs to easily maintained by other writers aswell. Hence the need for CMS. It would need to be easy to add content to everypage assosiated with the site. I dont want it to be a blog you see, it has to be a site built through a CMS, wordpress, drupla or joomla.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo
                            You don't really need PHP either. That does make things a lot easier, but it could be done without it.
                            You would have to be a moron to create static files for every game (entity). That is like managing a store with static files for each every product… I need a cold shower just thinking about it. Wordpress sucks but just about anything is better than static files for managing similar data. Even dumber than creating a logo in a gimp…

IGN uses wp… wow they must have so much hardware to support it – almost unbelievable with the traffic. GO – meta relational database, sigh…
                            Last edited by tZ; 10-19-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Lists of add-ons for Drupal and Joomla.

http://drupal.org/project/modules/categories
                              http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions

There are just as many plugins for Wordpress too, but I probably wouldn't be inclined to go there. Then again, I always underestimate what people somehow manage to coerce Wordpress into doing.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X