Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know... I've known quite a few bike people in my life that would probably seriously consider doing the procreating thing with certain ultra-lightweight and uber-expensive racing bike models if the possibility of hybrid human-two-wheeled offspring had any legs.

Or wheels, I suppose.

Comment

Thanks for the assist there, Bob. I spent most of yesterday working with various cancer-related materials, so it's no wonder my fingers typed recombinant for recumbent.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

No prob. It's a lovely word.

And it's help me realize that I don't ever really want to retire, I just want to... recumb.

Comment

So, Gar, you basically want a La-Z-Boy that mows your lawn?
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

"Old pressmen never die, they just stop the presses."

Or something. My brain still hasn't recovered from staring at all of those melanomas yesterday.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

No Kitch, I was just suggesting that the bike shown above might be more stable in a recumbent construction.

Comment

Ah.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

What do you call a vagrant lying in a trash-filled alley wearing parts of a tuxedo?

Recumbent bum in a cumberbund.

Comment

Immediately impressed...

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                    I think the problem falls with not educating clients/potential clients about websites in general. From my experience, a lot of clients I speak with tend to have a Field of Dreams ideology of their website. Because this logic is too good to be true they tend to not want to invest much time or money into the web or they blow 90% of their budget on SEO and scare clients away with an amateur site that may or may not have compatibility/accessibility issues, look dated or take forever to load (to name a few). Part of sales is education, you have to educate the client so they understand why spending $#### with you is a better investment than spending $### with their neighbours kid.
                    ...with your reply. Very sound perception of the way a client thinks, and how they may react. I remember a stupid commercial where employees of a small business watched as their designer uploaded the company website. They watched a hit counter intently which at first was unmoved, then began to slowly tick upward with hits, finally accelerating into a blur as the employees looked on in dismay, wondering how they would fill all those orders. This probably had much to do with the unreal expectations of would-be clients.
                    There was a husband and wife team of my acquaintance who proudly showed me a website promoting their new fitness club. The very first thing which confronted me were huge blocks of text, the font set way too small by necessity, talking only about themselves...I, us, we, and nothing which immediately addressed the visitor (you, your, etc.) and THEIR concerns which drew them to the site in the first place (weight loss, fitness, health, etc.). I forced myself to read about half of the first paragraph. The most basic rules of advertising still apply on the web, though often go ignored by clients.

Comment

Too right...

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      This is why I keep saying fresh graduates or 'learners' should not be freelancing. You need to earn your chops and learn to expertly use the tools of the trade before you can call yourself a professional.
                      I've been terrified with the possibility that a client may be calling me every hour, screaming, "do something!", yet I wouldn't have a clue as to how to correct the situation.
                      I would stick with a basic program like Dreamweaver, then an image editor...possibly some database software. Am I missing something?

Comment

Yeah. your're missing quite a bit. But I'm not sure if your last post wasn't a joke so, if you think what you wrote is all you need, good luck.

Comment

What exactly...

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                          Why? This is a continuation of a debate we've been having for years.
                          ...is the debate to which you're referring? I see the internet as near synonymous with the gold rush of '49. Hotels, stores, stables, "gentlemen's clubs", etc., had sprung up to supply those ambitious gold-panners with the goods they needed to search for the gold. It was inevitable that the day came when there was no longer any gold in "them thar hills". Do you think the owner/operators of said business establishments would admit this to their entrepreneural customers? No.
                          I tend to see today's internet only as a place to upload a high-tech business card. But it takes an actual paper-and-ink business card to draw them there in the first place.

Comment

Folks...

...I'm faced with a terrible catch-22:
                            1) ...spend a year or more writing a book with no self-promotion, hoping to attract the attention the single pair of eyes in the head of a publisher who may, or may not publish my book (JK Rowling of "Potter" fame submitted her own manuscript to 15 publishers before she got a green light).
                            2) ...spend an awesome amount of time and money in purchasing and learning software, etc., in search of the attention of many pairs of eyes.
                            However, the time spent LEARNING, could have otherwise been spent CREATING.
                            What to do?

Comment

For the awesome amount of money and time you would spend learning the software, just hire a designer and be done with it.

Comment

Awesome idea, PD.

(Are you sure you're not a closet awesome writer?)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X