Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    <b>
    When I think of Adrian Frutiger, I think of, well, Frutiger, which is sort of a humanist grotesk, maybe. Then I think of Myriad Pro. Of course Frutiger didn't design Myriad, but Myriad is pretty much...
    Today, 05:58 AM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to Critique and suggestions on a logo concept
    Pavlo
    I understand what you are trying to achieve (and I have seen some other good examples in a similar style) but to me it doesn't read as 'EFM'. It seems incomplete. Needs more work. Or a different appr...
    Today, 05:46 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    Good one <b>! When I think of slabs I think of Adrian Frutiger... but when I think of think grotesks Helvetica always is first on my list ...sigh.

So since we are creating a list ......
    Today, 05:33 AM
  • janetm1000
    Reply to Is this an unreasonable request from my client?
    janetm1000
    As someone who has also worked on client's side, I'm going to offer this point of view:
    you are adding a lot of value in doing these type of "odd jobs" for them. They know they can rely...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Critique and suggestions on a logo concept
    Kayekaye
    There is no recognition of your initials without knowing what they are. Nicely executed but conception is weak. Try another avenue.
    Today, 04:33 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An &quot;SEO&quot;, then?

It seems that someone interested in promoting a client's business might simplify things by simply maintaining a presence on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like. I don't use Facebook much (security concerns), but I do believe that it has been enhanced over the last few years, such as chat, and video uploading.

Comment

Originally posted by grrrafx View Post
      It seems that someone interested in promoting a client's business might simplify things by simply maintaining a presence on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like. I don't use Facebook much (security concerns), but I do believe that it has been enhanced over the last few years, such as chat, and video uploading.
      Why would that simplify things? Do you think everyone who uses the internet cares about social media? When I want to find a company that does what I want, I don't want to wade through a bunch of social media crap. A website that showcases Product and contact info is far more useful. Some people are actually wanting to do business, not socialize.
      And speaking of contact info, it's amazing how many websites do not put the location of the company anywhere on the site, just email addresses. I don't do business unless I know where to find you.

Comment

I should also point out my background at the time I did work independently.

1 year accounting program at local college
        programming in various languages since 1984.
        6 years bookkeeping/ office management
        9 years previously working on websites as part time to my full time job
        20 years traditional and digital art/graphic design
        12 years in various CSR jobs and talking with customers

1 year working totally independent of any other job. Nice, but the money was lean at times so I really had to learn to budget. I really didn't have a hard time being at home as I am a self starter and I just work better that way.

So I signed up to the current place of work for the past 6 years. At which I've worn every single hat from production, graphic design, web coder, flash as3 coder, even some of my accounting background when needed. I'm currently writing all CSR documents for our company and websites. And I actually work from home many days at my current job and did so most of last summer actually. So I get the best of both worlds.

Comment

I still consider social media as an add on. For real businesses it is the presences on the internet combined with how well that business is presented which validates that business.

Personally, knowing what the web can be, I also look for referrals because anyone could make a fantastic website but be an absolute nothing of a company.

Comment

Please enlighten me.

But they ALL started out and firmly established their reps well before the Boom in hack design, maybe 10-15 years ago.
            Er...hack design? What dat?
            Last edited by grrrafx; 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

...this writer not cool w/ being timed out

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              Why would that simplify things? Do you think everyone who uses the internet cares about social media? When I want to find a company that does what I want, I don't want to wade through a bunch of social media crap. A website that showcases Product and contact info is far more useful. Some people are actually wanting to do business, not socialize.
              And speaking of contact info, it's amazing how many websites do not put the location of the company anywhere on the site, just email addresses. I don't do business unless I know where to find you.
              Simplified:
              1) security
              2) chat
              3) video
              4) promotion
              5) selling the idea of a SM presence to a client
              (he/she sees their kids on ****book. Then grandma's suddenly
              doing it)
              Maybe it's all about sheer motivation. This and religious fervor built the
              pyramids.

Comment

hack design is when everyone and their grandma got photoshop and called themselves a designer. Happened somewhere around 1998 or so. Seriously.

Not every business is graphic design. How you would promote yourself wouldn't necessarily work for, say, someone selling construction equipment.

As for social media,
                1. security is iffy.
                2. I don't have time to chat and resent those popup windows when I am reading about product or trying to order something.
                3. video as in video chat? Nope. Video as in product demos, you can do that on a business website and can be a good thing. I don't particularly care to watch how something is built or made but more what you can do with it.
                4. promotion is SEO. Sure you can have followers. As an add on.
                5. Sure you can sell Social Media to a client. It has nothing to do with grandma and should have nothing to do with kids. If you are selling a product, sell it. Blogs, chats, online raves are all garbage, to me anyway. Maybe newbs to industry feel the need to bare their soul and bond with their potential customers. Most don't give a rat's behind if you cliff dive on your vacations and add that to your blog.

On the other side, I have a feeling there is also the added sense of 'filling time' "looking" for things on the internet. Quite honestly, Facebook is blocked here at work. So is Twitter to some extent. The sales staff has access to both and most of us have access to LinkedIn. It's not considered productive to business for everyone to be Facebooking or Twitting during work hours.
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grrrafx View Post
                  Er...hack design? What dat?
                  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hack <-- scroll the parts-of-speech box down to "adjective"

[edit: PD got there first.]

Comment

In my day to day life, potential clients keep telling me I should upskill and learn web and flash. I'm a print designer and I always pass on those sorts of projects.

I'm not entirely sure how right they are, but I do lose work because I don't have those skills. I'm sure there would be work there if I upskill, but there's also many other people out there that can do the work for cheaper and probably faster than I could. At least for the first few years.

Is there any point in upskilling to please those clients?
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I think with your illustration skills you'd make an awesome Flash artist, Buda.

But do you want to learn Actionscript programming?
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Depends how good you're client relationships are. People like to get everything done in one place if they can, even if you have to farm stuff out, they'll be happy to deal with someone familiar for what is essentially the same facet of their business.
                        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement Badgerman! I don't know if I want to learn Actionscript programming. I don't think my current clients will need that service. I guess it's about weighing up which skills are most useful to upskill to and if they will be able to show a measurable benefit.

Kermie, yeah, it's mostly a case of clients wanting a one stop shop. That's fair enough. I'm usually the same if I can help it. I would prefer to farm web projects out. Upskilling is a "one day" project rather than a pressing one. Right now I feel like I'm too busy at the moment to go back to school. Even if it's just an online course. But still waiting to find the right web person.

Perhaps in the future if I take the plunge into freelance, I might have more time on my hands to dedicate to an online web course. Or is that wishful thinking?
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I could be wrong but it sounds like you aren't really interested in these particular skills, maybe because it's not your idea, but like anything worth doing you need to be committed to it for it to add any value.
                            Design is not decoration.

Comment

Good point. Learning something substantially different is tougher if you aren't engaged.

Comment

Yep. That's it really.

I'm engaged and passionate about learning lots of things, but web doesn't seem to be one of them. Although it may be different going back and learning as an adult with work experience. I learned web straight after high school and found it wasn't for me. I was probably too green to allow any that wasn't wildly creative to be considered fun.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X