Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pavlo
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Pavlo
    Hi PD,
    Thank you. No problem. :-)
    I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't making a specific recommendation for her to use red and black together.
    cheers
    Today, 11:35 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Colors changing in ai when I copy and paste
    PrintDriver
    Before starting any art always check your color space. Going from RGB to CMYK, espcially by just telling Illustrator to do so using the Document Color Mode to just toggle it, will not only screw up your...
    Today, 11:23 AM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    When you compare "insipid" to "strong and bright" it can come off as advice.
    Your research suggestion was in a different paragraph.
    That's how I red it.
    I apologize...
    Today, 11:20 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Print Quality Issues... Am I being swindled?
    PrintDriver
    Like I said, some of the older board machines don't do "small" well.

When doing large format, do not expect "digital" print quality where "digital" means high-end...
    Today, 11:16 AM
  • Pavlo
    Pavlo
    Hi there PD,
    Just for the record: I have not given advice to janetm1000 to make it a strong red and black.

My suggestion to her was, "...to do further research into Chinese culture...
    Today, 11:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a lot of beating myself up to learn website design I finally realized I hate doing it, found a great developer and send everything to her. I get to do the bit I love, designing, and she gets to do the bit she loves, developing.

There's no way I can invest the amount of time necessary to be a decent web designer, I'll never be as good as Pam, so this works just great for me. Buda if you want you can pm me - guess she could work for you in NZ as well as for me in the states since it's all online

Comment

I did the same thing, long ago... far away.

It's that ol' 10,000 hour rule. There's hardly enough lifetime to master and be happy with even one skillset, why shoot for being mediocre and miserable with a dozen?

It's the scariest part of the immediate future -- IMO. Through economic pressures and technology we're eliminating and dumbing down human job skillsets so that we are now awash with highly-trained, ready-to-work workforce but... where? Every year we delay young people entering a skilled profession, is another chunk out of their 'skill mastering' time budget.

It does kinda make you wonder what the highest paid execs actually do though, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
        After a lot of beating myself up to learn website design I finally realized I hate doing it, found a great developer and send everything to her. I get to do the bit I love, designing, and she gets to do the bit she loves, developing.

There's no way I can invest the amount of time necessary to be a decent web designer, I'll never be as good as Pam, so this works just great for me. Buda if you want you can pm me - guess she could work for you in NZ as well as for me in the states since it's all online
        Thanks Rachel, you just confirmed it for me. That's exactly what I was hoping to do. I wonder how common that designer/developer relationship is in the world of freelance? It makes more sense to me than trying to do a bit of everything.

And Bob, I can't imagine spending 10,000 hours in web. You really need to enjoy it to spend that much time mastering something.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
          It does kinda make you wonder what the highest paid execs actually do though, doesn't it?
          doesn't it though?
          Sit around and figure out how to keep the competition from catching up, and count their money?

Comment

I pulled in a decent profit when I ran my business. But like someone else pointed out, there are many hats you have to wear and long hours to be worked. After 5 years or so, I finally decided to go work for someone else. Best choice I ever made. I sometimes look back with a bit of longing, but now i don't have to do payroll or taxes. big plus if you ask me.
            - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
              It's the scariest part of the immediate future -- IMO. Through economic pressures and technology we're eliminating and dumbing down human job skillsets so that we are now awash with highly-trained, ready-to-work workforce but... where? Every year we delay young people entering a skilled profession, is another chunk out of their 'skill mastering' time budget.
              I'm still wondering why, if there is such a large skilled work force, that we all can't just work part time. I could go for some 20 hour work weeks.
              Course, that would make paying for things difficult, but then, if nobody could buy things, the prices would come down, right?

Comment

That's a good point PD... I mean for example, if food gets so expensive that people really can't afford to buy it do you think they'll just throw it out if they can't sell it? Burn the crops? Or will the prices actually come down?

Comment

You forget that the reason why so many westerners are settling for low paying, and/or part-time low-skill jobs is that almost all of the full-time, well-paying, high skilled manufacturing ones have moved east... where it's much fuller-time, modest pay, high-skills and few benefits. And technology is busy evolving to make even that a temporary cost-cutting solution.

And yet prices of goods, realistically -- outside of energy, and housing, have not ever been much cheaper. Including food -- which is heavily subsidized. For now. Fuel prices are now rolling into that market as well.

Executive salaries, and bonuses, however....

Comment

I thought you were going to say, "if food got so expensive, they don't eat"
                    Would solve the obesity problem, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      I thought you were going to say, "if food got so expensive, they don't eat"
                      Would solve the obesity problem, eh?
                      it would PD, but the rest of us'll be dead.

and that won't be any fun at all

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
                        it would PD, but the rest of us'll be dead.

and that won't be any fun at all
                        "If you don't work, you don't eat.

If you don't eat, you get really skinny.

Then you fall down, and then you're dead."

—Neil Simon, The Star Spangled Girl
                        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

...or maybe

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          This is why I keep saying fresh graduates or 'learners' should not be freelancing. You need to earn your chops and learn to expertly use the tools of the trade before you can call yourself a professional.
                          ...spend a few years operating a dynamic, ever-changing site of one's own, first, eh?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X