Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Typographic Experiment for a School Project
    <b>
    Looks nice, but it's hard to read. How big of a problem the legibility issue might be might depend on the rest of the booklet.
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Designing for large companies
    <b>
    Yeah, I agree with PrintDriver, you'd be running headfirst into intellectual property violations. Big consumer-oriented companies, like the two you mentioned, have a serious interests in controlling their...
    Today, 08:49 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Mentor or college degree?
    <b>
    I did briefly look at them, which is why I said what I did. It really does depend on what you want from life.

Both seem like good schools, but they're very different in both size, focus,...
    Today, 07:32 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Mentor or college degree?
    misplacedVTer
    A PHD in graphic design is kind of a running joke between a few of my design buddies and I. Like it has been mentioned above, choose based on the body of work coming from students in a program, not what...
    Today, 07:23 PM
  • mcmc13
    Reply to Pantone, CMYK question for printing using Illustrator CS6
    mcmc13
    Thanks for all the great input. How do you determine Lab values? I did call my printing companies, neither has mentioned providing lab values yet. Both have confirmed capability to print in Pantone....
    Today, 07:22 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put on the brakes for a sec. Making a profit?

A. If you are working on your own, are you now making a profit in web design?
    B. How long did it take you to become established?
    C. In the beginning, were you faced with a multitude of learning curves in software you were required to learn, so much, in fact that you spent more time learning than in creating and acquiring new business?

It seems that trying to make a good part-time job out of web design may be similar to mowing lawns. Everybody's doing it, though not everybody knows what they're doing. Too many would-be "clients" want something for nothing, percieving, as well, that there is a surplus of supply.
    I'm far too creative for mowing lawns. Any tips?

I think the problem falls with not educating clients/potential clients about websites in general. From my experience, a lot of clients I speak with tend to have a Field of Dreams ideology of their website. Because this logic is too good to be true they tend to not want to invest much time or money into the web or they blow 90% of their budget on SEO and scare clients away with an amateur site that may or may not have compatibility/accessibility issues, look dated or take forever to load (to name a few). Part of sales is education, you have to educate the client so they understand why spending $#### with you is a better investment than spending $### with their neighbours kid.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

C. In the beginning, were you faced with a multitude of learning curves in software you were required to learn, so much, in fact that you spent more time learning than in creating and acquiring new business?
      This is why I keep saying fresh graduates or 'learners' should not be freelancing. You need to earn your chops and learn to expertly use the tools of the trade before you can call yourself a professional.

Comment

I feel like I started reading on page 3 of a debate, but there's no back button.

Comment

Originally posted by grrrafx View Post
          It's called school... and internships... and studying.
          Your client should not be penalized for your lack of knowledge. You wouldn't hire a doctor to perform a surgery on you if they had a "steep learning curve" would you? So why would you expect others to be okay with it in a different industry?
          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

lol it seems I misinterpreted "C" as happening before going out into the real world, like in school, I spent 100% of my time learning and 0% of my time creating/acquiring new business...

So let me tailor that advice a bit more, know what you are selling, then sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by VDM View Post
              I feel like I started reading on page 3 of a debate, but there's no back button.
              Why? This is a continuation of a debate we've been having for years.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by grrrafx View Post
                I'm far too creative for mowing lawns. Any tips?

Word of advice? There's hardly any of us who are 'too creative' to do 'menial' work if it really needs to be done.

Collectively, we're too often just too mentally and physically lazy to look at it as anything other than 'beneath us'. Don't dismiss physical work as undignified. Some of the people I have met and respect the most have made a life out of doing a great job at actually sweating it out. There can be a great deal of honest dignity to committing one's self to physical labour. Unfortunately, it's not something non-labourers understand these days. And even more unfortunate, is that there are so few of us even willing to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                  This image makes me wonder how they groom the sides of the shrubbery, that or who's ballsy enough to sit on a riding mower hanging sideways from a crane.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post

My husband was talking about trying to build that type of bicycle last night.
                    Last edited by KitchWitch; 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: I'm sturpid.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I think it would be easier if it were front end upward or downward. At least then there would be something to keep you from falling off or rolling over.
                      "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
                        I think it would be easier if it were front end upward or downward. At least then there would be something to keep you from falling off or rolling over.
                        I think it would work better with a recombinant bike.
                        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                          I think it would work better with a recombinant bike.
                          Even after the Goog told me what recombinant is I'm still confused.

How on earth are we going to figure out the DNA structure of a bike in order to match it up to some new life form that mows grass for us, but resembles a bike.

re·com·bi·nant

   [ree-kom-buh-nuhnt]
                          adjective 1. of or resulting from new combinations of genetic material: recombinant cells.

noun 2. a cell or organism whose genetic complement results from recombination.

3.the genetic material produced when segments of DNA from different sources are joined to produce recombinant DNA.
                          Though I do have to wonder what the possibilities are for an organism that works as both transportation and the continually needed lawn mower. Would it make it easier for us to mow the law of those horrible neighbors that let theirs look awful? If you're headed that direction anyways it's not even a pit stop really... hm... we should get a trademark like ASAP.

Comment

^ chuckle, chuck!

(in a recumbent, gleeful, kind of way)

Comment

ohhh.... Recumbent... I see. I had no idea those bikes had a special name. (insert more you know graphic here... I'm too lazy to go get it, haha)

re·cum·bent

   [ri-kuhm-buhnt]
                              adjective 1. lying down; reclining; leaning.

2. inactive; idle.
                              So instead we get to sleep or veg out while we mow our neighbours lawns. Neat. I might actually mow a lawn for the third time in my entire life if it meant some extra zzz's.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X