Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    <b>
    I really didn't define what I meant by important. For that matter, I'll still leave it fuzzy since there's really no way to objectively measure such a thing.

As for Comic Sans, I'd say it's...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • guiri
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    guiri
    ISitude, thanks. You know, things would be soo much simpler if people just did what they're supposed to. ESPECIALLY if they have gotten paid. Oh well. Anyway, wraps are cool as hell and although I really...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    True that <b>. .. and Comic Sans is on most computers too ...sigh.

To me Zuzana's work is most notable because of the contribution to creating bitmap fonts from the most early days......
    Today, 03:46 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    ISitude
    Sorry to read of your woes guiri, I agree with the comments above.

I'm currently doing a wrap design (my first one ever ) for tricked out minibus. Awesome canvas for me to be working with....
    Today, 03:24 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    PrintDriver
    I've been using VUTEk printers since before they became part of EFI. They've always been top tier machines, though not necessarily the top of the top. I don't know this one personally and have never seen...
    Today, 02:02 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with templates

Hi all,

Ok, first please forgive me because I'm probably going to be asking some dumb questions. But, I've been doing some side work for a small company and web design is not my strong suit. They kicked me a small web site to build, but they have purchased some templates. Their client picked a specific template and now I'm supposed to customize the template for the client. I've never worked with templates before now, and I'm really struggling with the navigation buttons in particular.

I have the PSD file, there are 6 nav buttons on the template, but I only need 5. I've manipulated the PSD file and removed the extra nav button and moved things around to work for this guy's site. The problem is when I save the psd file as "html" and "images" the images aren't dropping into dreamweaver correctly.

Here is a link to the site so far:
    http://www.southwestgrillcatering.com/new

I'm also not very versed in CSS, which is probably why I'm having so much trouble. I have attached a screen shot of what is happening when I try to change the navigation button.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Attached Files

Without sounding blunt there is not much we can do to help you... I had a quick look at your source code and I see you're using tables to layout your page, that's a big no no, tables should only be used to code a table of data, not a webpage, this is why CSS was introduced.

I suggest that you learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript and 1 server side programming language before you start to sell your services as a web designer to 'real' clients. Put yourself in your clients shoes, would you be happy if you were paying for a designer to build you a website who openly admits that "web design is not their strong suit"? I certainly wouldn't be.
    We must travel in the direction of our fears.

Comment

I was going to suggest a PSD to web service, but it looks like it takes a lot more than that to salvage this. Do you actually have a background in graphic design?

Hire a real web designer with a decent portfolio. You probably have to pay out of your own pocket, but it's cheaper for you in the long run than not honouring your contract.

That's not to discourage you from learning web design for future projects. As Stephen says, you need to know HTML, CSS, JavaScript and a server-side language, PHP is probably the most well supported by web hosts. Learn MySQL as well. The O'Reilly books are usually good, look for them in your local library and buy copies of the ones you find yourself returning to.

Comment

I'm going to echo what others have said. You're in over your head. Hire a professional.

It's like someone bringing you their car to fix, and you saying, "well, I don't know much about fixing cars, but I have a screwdriver, so I'm going to try it."
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Or barter with a professional. Man, I'd consider bartering design services for a really killer, catered BBQ party. Mmm.

Comment

I love working for food.

Comment

What Bob said. Trying to port PS to a proper website is not going to end well for you unless we can somehow update your brain with a few years of web experience via the matrix.

(man that would be so cool)

Granted I had a big hankering for some BBQ when I posted this.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X