X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• web design and development

so talked to my professor today, ended up getting on the subject of designing websites. and someone mentioned using photoshop and indesign. I mentioned how thats not such a good thing. and heres what i was told my the teacher

for designers, creating the layout and design of the site, photoshop and dreamweaver is all still used just to make the overall visual layout of the site

she was saying that html/css is mainly used by all the developers for the coding side of things. thats why most of them frown on the other software apps, that and because of the software apps being wysiwyg apps.

but she said that it is recommend and that she recommends learning html and css because they will help tremendously.

just thought i would get your all input on this.

basically what i got out of it is, photoshop and indesign is still used by the designers to create the visual layout of the site. and html css is used by the developers for actually creating the usability of the sites. but it doesnt have to be two separate people, she told me it will help knowing all aspects of it to make me more versatile as a designer.

Your professor is correct, designing websites should be done in Photoshop or Fireworks (Don't use InDesign or Illustrator) Why? Web Design is a pixel perfect business, InDesign & Illustrator are vector based. You want programs that are focused on raster.

If you're looking to learn how to design for web one of the first things I suggest (To everyone) is to start using the 960.gs system. You'll learn the major formats / styles to many successful websites, and it takes A LOT of the guess work out of building effective websites.

In terms of learning HTML / CSS, yes it is important to have a basic understanding of these languages. Understanding the technology behind what you're designing will give you a more effective and easier to translate design.

However, in all honesty development is better left to those who love to develop. (Developers... derp) Why? It's better to focus in on one aspect and become very strong, then try to both poorly.

Comment

ok that makes sense, thanks.

So is it possible to be a web designer and offer it as a service to clients and not know code? Is it something where one should become best friends with a developer lol or know a developer that can put the code in what was designed? I mean obviously someone who would do that should know a developer so they can get what they designed coded for the client, but is doing that fair to the client?

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
        So is it possible to be a web designer and offer it as a service to clients and not know code?
        I think your client might be a bit disappointed to receive nothing but a picture of a website and not the real thing.

You might be able to land a job with an employer who separates the design job from the coding job, but you'd have a much better chance at being employed if you knew both. Really, I can't image hiring a web designer who couldn't actually code a website. The term developer is usually reserved for the person who handles the server- and client-side scripting, not writing the HTML and CSS.

If you plan on marketing yourself as a web designer, learn HTML and CSS, plus enough php and javascript to enable you to carry on an intelligent conversation with a developer. If you don't have these skills, you'll find yourself competing for jobs with those who do.

Comment

well as far as the client part, i didnt mean giving them a picture of the website. I meant me designing it, and then sending out to a developer to have them code it and THEN giving it to the client.

I dont intend on trying to land a job as a web designer, im a graphic designer first. thats what I will try to get as a job.

I do plan on learning HTML and CSS just is going to take some time to learn :/ as my schedule is rather full between my part time job and school.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
            I think your client might be a bit disappointed to receive nothing but a picture of a website and not the real thing.

You might be able to land a job with an employer who separates the design job from the coding job, but you'd have a much better chance at being employed if you knew both. Really, I can't image hiring a web designer who couldn't actually code a website. The term developer is usually reserved for the person who handles the server- and client-side scripting, not writing the HTML and CSS.

If you plan on marketing yourself as a web designer, learn HTML and CSS, plus enough php and javascript to enable you to carry on an intelligent conversation with a developer. If you don't have these skills, you'll find yourself competing for jobs with those who do.
            <b> has it again HTML, CSS & Photoshop are the basic tools for web design.
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post

Exactly. It would be difficult to find a job with a focus on web without the things <b> has mentioned. Most companies work with some type of CMS (open source or custom) so you will inevitably need to learn enough server-side programming to be able to manipulate templates as well. At least if there is not a front-end developer on staff. The typical site you think of creating in Dreamweaver is not a good representation of real-world projects.

Originally posted by JGDesigns
              Your professor is correct, designing websites should be done in Photoshop or Fireworks (Don't use InDesign or Illustrator) Why? Web Design is a pixel perfect business, InDesign & Illustrator are vector based. You want programs that are focused on raster.
              Actually the web isn't pixel perfect at all. That is not the proper way to address a design considering a site will rarely look the same on different devices and browsers.. There is nothing wrong with Illustrator. That is actually what I prefer when wire framing is required. Than again… I think in terms of relative measurements except when it just can't be done. With all the 960 grid crap going around I can understand why there is a misunderstanding.
              Last edited by tZ; 05-09-2012, 02:28 AM.

Comment

I actually don't design in Photoshop. I create certain elements, but I do the actual "designing" with the code itself.
                http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Web Design and development

Hi,I am the web designer by post and what to learn how to design the website

Comment

Knowing both will give you an unbelievably big advantage over other designers and developers. The only people I even know that can do both are people in my online circle of friends. I literally no 0 people that can do both, or at least at a professional level.

On top of knowing HTML/CSS, you should learn at least the basics of Wordpress, Drupal, and Joomla.

You can always send your designs to a PSD to HTML place, but chances are you will have to fix some things or change them, and most companies want a content management system for their website as well.

Being a successful web designer/developer takes a lot of different skills.

Comment

Yea im starting to realize that. Unfortunately I dont have the time at the moment to take the time to properly learn all that. Which kind of sucks because I wont be able to fairly offer it to clients as a service. I could design the page for them in photoshop, but after that I, or they would have to send it to a developer to code it.

Granted it couple probably import it into dreamweaver and do it from there, but then thats not the proper way to do it. so in the mean time ill be sticking with graphic design

Comment

Coding in Dreamweaver is totally fine. You just want to stay away from exporting directly from Photoshop to HTML, or using tools like SiteGrinder or Adobe Muse. They output very dirty code, and again, you will need to know coding anyways to adjust things down the line.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DesignPanoply View Post
                          Knowing both will give you an unbelievably big advantage over other designers and developers. The only people I even know that can do both are people in my online circle of friends. I literally no 0 people that can do both, or at least at a professional level.

On top of knowing HTML/CSS, you should learn at least the basics of Wordpress, Drupal, and Joomla.

You can always send your designs to a PSD to HTML place, but chances are you will have to fix some things or change them, and most companies want a content management system for their website as well.

Being a successful web designer/developer takes a lot of different skills.
                          Every professional designer I know does both well. And I know a LOT of them. If you want to market yourself as a web designer, you have to be able to do both. If you can only do the design stuff, you aren't going to be very hireable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                            Every professional designer I know does both well. And I know a LOT of them. If you want to market yourself as a web designer, you have to be able to do both. If you can only do the design stuff, you aren't going to be very hireable.
                            Couldn't agree more.

I know a lot of them, but none locally. The big firms around here typically outsource web development work, which is so inefficient I can't believe it.

They will wait 2 weeks to save $100 on something that could be done in house in a couple days.

Nice website and work by the way

Comment

Originally posted by DesignPanoply View Post
                              Couldn't agree more.

I know a lot of them, but none locally. The big firms around here typically outsource web development work, which is so inefficient I can't believe it.

They will wait 2 weeks to save $100 on something that could be done in house in a couple days.

Nice website and work by the way
                              Thanks!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X