X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project#4: Smooth and Silky (Bokeh)

Start Date: January 27 2006

WHAT IS BOKEH?

Bokeh describes the rendition of out-of-focus points of light.

Bokeh is different from sharpness. Sharpness is what happens at the point of best focus. Bokeh is what happens away from the point of best focus.

Bokeh describes the appearance or "feel" of out-of-focus backgrounds and foregrounds.

Differing amounts of spherical aberration alter how lenses render out-of-focus points of light, and thus their bokeh. The word "bokeh" comes from the Japanese word "boke" (pronounced bo-keh) which literally means fuzziness or dizziness.

Here's more info about bokeh.
    http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/bokeh.html
    http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/bokeh.html

Your task: The object of this assignment is show creatively your rendition of bokeh

Tips: Seclude an object from any immediate background, it's better to have lot's of space from the object to the background to get the best results. Use small aperture numbers if possible (like f2 -f4)to get narrow depth of field which works best for bokeh.

Example

Last edited by Tyger; 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM.

here's one, not the greatest Bokeh, but I believe my camera limits me somewhat.

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

project sound familiar morea?

(for other p&s)
      I understand with point and shoots you can be limited, but don't get discouraged from trying out the project, it can be done as you have shown. If you have manual settings or aperture priority settings...give them a try.

Comment

Title: Pride and Joy
        Description: A statue of Parents holding there chiild
        EXIF DATA:(will include later)

Comment

This was a bust...anyone else?

Comment

i'll give it a go i guess. you should bring these projects back, i had always wanted to do them, i just didnt have a suitable camera then

'your anger is a gift...'

ckeck out Analyze Think

inside my head

Comment

ok, I'm no photographer by any means but i snapped this shot with my digital camera yesterday and then i saw this thread. thought it was ironic, lol.

www.standercreative.com

Comment

that's what I'm talking about..keep em coming!

I thought there was no interest in these so I stopped it for a bit...I'll start another topic very soon.

Comment

Frosty

Comment

hi, im new.
                    here's a photo of an apple with a pin in it. im not really sure why....

Comment

Where is the bokeh?

For Bokeh to be present there should be some definition of OoF points of light, highlighted circles(disks).. Whether they're soft circles mutal in tone, or sharper either lighter in the center darker on the outer/viceversa, there should be some definition. I think there are many examples of beautiful soft backgrounds captured and expressed with short DoF....but where's the bokeh?

These aren't the best examples of bokeh, because I don't have any lenses that would produce a good bokeh. But IMO they show at least some bokeh.

Edit: Fixed links
                      Last edited by plasticboy; 06-29-2006, 07:17 PM.

Comment

ooo..Bokeh, i love the stuff, i think I have some real buttery bokeh pics at home. I'll upload when I get there.
                        As God Is My Witness, I Thought Turkeys Could Fly

Comment

Dragonfly

Here's a start
                          Last edited by willy_flew; 07-07-2006, 09:40 PM. Reason: Change pic again
                          http://billsoz.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is one I just took today ..... I know I can't enter twice.... but I took this and thought ....... hey!! This is what they are talking about ... so I thought I would share

I think it turned out pretty nifty

Last edited by Red Kittie Kat; 07-05-2006, 03:42 AM.

Comment

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• HotButton
                                Comment on Flyer Crtitique
                                HotButton
                                It's just what I call it when people use an expression that actually says or means the opposite of what is intended; ''could care less'' would be another prime example.
                                Yesterday, 11:44 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                B
                                That makes sense, I guess. Off is the inverse of on, which makes based off the inverse of based on. Got it. ...
                                Yesterday, 08:50 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                B
                                Okay, I know what a colloquialism is, but what is an inverse colloquialism?

Probrien, in addition to HotButton's comments, which I agree with, the ad is a bit confusing. Maybe it's lacking...
                                Yesterday, 08:48 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                PrintDriver
                                ''Based off'' is inverse of ''based on.'' ''Based on'' is a colloquialism.
                                I think.
                                I have not had enough to drink to play this game.

o O
                                Yesterday, 08:27 PM
                              • pobrien
                                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                pobrien
                                Thanks for the feedback. That all makes a lot of sense. I'll take these points and re-work things....
                                Yesterday, 04:06 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X