No announcement yet.

Voting: November Photo Project - Gray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i voted for myself id be much closer to winnin this badboy!

I like the redish color in the bottom of #5... I think it would lose something if you cropped it (besides 1/3 of the picture...)
    www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

I voted for yours ^^

Edit: I had a hard time choosing between yours or Broacher's.
      Last edited by Exodus; 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM.
      Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Number 8 just has a "gray" feeling to it. Only thing that would make it "grayer" would be to have Alcatraz there in the distance. Since, based on location, that would take an *extremely* long telephoto lense, it stands just great as it is.
        "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The USA will not survive without another revolution. Soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
          I like the redish color in the bottom of #5... I think it would lose something if you cropped it (besides 1/3 of the picture...)
          I know 1/3 is drastic, but it makes for a very dramatic panoramic. I just think it's much more dramatic and deep without the ground, makes you feel like you're out at sea in a storm. Much more daunting than standing on shore.

Forgive me Mo for tampering with your shot.

In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

thanks exodus

Mac- it becomes a totally different picture (which i think is what you were going for...) but I prefer the uncropped... I really like the subtle color in the sand and the reflection of the sky on the shore. Either way great pic mo!
            www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

To me, it's really tough that we have colour and bw mixed together here. I guess one of the real challenges of BW photography is to get what Morea has alluded to: 'color'. In true greys, that has to be a psychic colour association, very subject dependent. High contrast black and white shots have to take it one step further and minimize tone, highlighting pattern, shape, texture instead.

Then I think of the assigned theme: grey. It's only a word, not a design parameter. A full colour shot of say, a homeless person eating in a brightly lit MacDonald's-- that would be taking the theme to an editorial level. I admit I'm a little disappointed that nobody took the assignment too far in the editorial direction. There's also 'mood', expression. Colour contrast? A single grey element in an array? (say a greyed out light bulb in a marquee panel)

I don't know how many of you have ever played judge in an art or design contest, but another thing that I've become aware of over the years of doing these kind of things is just how important the presentation structure is. It's very difficult when the photos are stacked so close like this to not have adjacent entries 'colouring' each other. The sequence of presentation also has a real effect.

But, that's one of the differences between commercial and the fine arts. Most of the time, we don't know who the neighbours to our ad designs will be. You hope for the best, and design for the worst.

Good luck all!

Comment

very well said Broacher =)
                "If a barber can't shave the logo into the back of your head, it's not a successful logo."
                —Sketcher

Comment

ick.
                  that was kinda tough....

I like a bunch of them, but if it REALLY comes down to it, which one's are good and which ones are WOW!

after being to a photog. workshop w/ some big wigs teaching/ critiquing i look at everything much more critically now.

I like #3 because i think it's different. i haven't really seen that shot a bunch of times more or less. OR maybe i'm just partial to farmland....

ps. i didn't vote for 3 though

Comment

man! this has been a real horserace!
                    www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

definitely. These just get better and better!

What do you guys want to take pix of for the December contest? I need to get that started. There are a bunch of ideas on the "brainstorming" thread, and I'd love some feedback on what you guys would like to shoot.
                      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I would say christmas would be obvious... but not everyone celebrates it ... I would say snow but not everyone has it .... so I'm not sure

I know, I know I'm a big help

Comment

<-- doesn't celebrate it, but doesn't have a problem sitting one out.

Comment

Maybe just something representive of December for ones neck of the woods?

Comment

What about Solstice?
                              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

December 22 = International Orgasm Day.

(I don't want to see pictures, thank you anyway!)

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X