January Photo Project: Glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January Photo Project: Glass

Welcome to the photo project for January! The theme this month is: "Glass".

Please send the link for your entry to me (morea) by private message. Please do not send attachments, as they don't carry over properly into the voting thread.

(Note: If you have less than 10 posts you will not be able to send private messages; in that case, please post your link in this thread with no image tags and I will add it to the list.)

You can host photos for free at www.thecreativeforum.com, which will also allow you to put your images into the GDF Photo Gallery (when you upload a photo, just select a GDF destination from the dropdown menu). Free hosting is also available at www.imageshack.us, www.photobucket.com and www.tinypic.com.

Please list "January Photo Project" as the subject line of your message. - I receive a lot of private messages, and this makes sure that entries are not overlooked when the time comes to compile them.

Photo Project "Rules"

• NO PHOTOSHOP or other photo editing software may be used except for processing (cropping, basic tonal/color adjustments, and resizing) No elements, objects, or images can be cloned, cut out, or taken out of the original image other than what occurs from cropping.

• Photos do not have to be taken during the contest; you can enter photos that were taken before the cutoff date.

• You may only enter photos that you have taken yourself.

• Photos should be suitable for all ages. This forum includes members as young as 13, so please keep entries family friendly.

• One entry per member. If you decide to change your entry, please PM the new entry link and note in the PM that it is to replace a previous entry.

• Please limit photo size to 600 pixel width.

Cut off date for submitting photos will be February 1st.

Happy shooting!
    Last edited by morea; 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

bump!

Comment

bump again!

Comment

here's a question, what if it's your shot, but someone else cropped it? Can you still enter it?
        The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

ideally, I'd say no, and here's why: the way the photo is composed (or in this case, cropped) is really what makes the photo your own composition instead of someone else's. If someone else cropped it, it would be sort of like if someone else took you to a park and said, "now stand here, zoom in on that and take the picture." It changes the image so that it's no longer your vision.

That's just my take on it though, I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Comment

I agree, and I would extend to include all postprocessing.
            The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

I'm not sure that I explained that very well.

Way back when we started these things, everybody came to an agreement on the rules as they are listed in post #1. I use the same rules every month.

The original intention was that post processing would only be allowed if it was something that could have been done in a dark room during developing - minor tonal adjustments and stuff like that. Nothing could be added to the photo or cloned out, etc., and it all needed to be done by the photographer.

Cropping is the same thing - a person could change the look and feel of their photo by cropping the final print as they saw fit. If you crop your own photo, you are still the one with control over the final image, whereas if you gave three people the same photo to crop, they'd all probably crop it differently and that will have a big effect on the final image. If you entered all three into a photo contest, one would be a winning photo and the others would not. So while I (personally) find it acceptable for a photographer to crop their own shots, I think that by having someone else do the cropping (or the post processing, as you suggested) it is no longer truly the original photographer's work. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

last call for entries... I'll accept photos until Monday, and then we'll start voting.

Comment

Some great submissions for this one
                  "If a barber can't shave the logo into the back of your head, it's not a successful logo."
                  —Sketcher

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X