This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make photos look professional?

I see some photograph shop online, and their photos look quite stunning and yet unreal, I guess they have done some editing to the photos, am I right? I wonder how to edit the photos in photoshop to make it look professional? Thanks!

It takes years and years of practice and study just like any other profession. There's no "easy" button for much in life, trust me.

Comment

• lesiamert
      lesiamert commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely agree with you, its really take years and years to capture really professional photography.

• Hangonimages
      Hangonimages commented
      Editing a comment
      I am agree with you..

Originally posted by Designia View Post
    It takes years and years of practice and study just like any other profession. There's no "easy" button for much in life, trust me.
    ...or you could just take a bad photos and push them through instagram a couple times
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

• kemingMatters
      kemingMatters commented
      Editing a comment
      ...sarcasm... we all know instagram makes bad photos "better"

• SBP Romania
      SBP Romania commented
      Editing a comment
      You should really try some Snapseed filters. In my opinion Snapseed is far better than instagram

• PrintDriver
      PrintDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Instagram/snapseed/whatever...
      The question was to make a photo more professional.

If you're talking about stock photography sites, most of those are done by professional photographers with high-end equipment and years of practice and training. Photoshop isn't needed to get stunning looking photos if you know what you're doing. You wouldn't believe how much work goes into staging these photographs before the first photo is even taken, especially in food photography. Most of that stuff takes hours to set up and 99% of the time, it's not even edable. For example, a photographer will put a lit cigarette in a cup of coffee to create more visible smoke/steam coming from the coffee. Or ice cream will be spray painted to give it better color. Those perfect burgers that don't exist in real life are glued together.

As for editing the photos after the fact, I guess it just depends on the look you want to achieve. Every photograph will require different tasks to get it to look better. There's no simple answer to this.
    "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
    -Steve Jobs

Comment

• Bladez
      Bladez commented
      Editing a comment
      Ice cream is often Crisco too. lol.

Marketing trick I learned early on: If it looks hot, it's cold. If it looks cold, it's crisco :P

• Sketcher
      Sketcher commented
      Editing a comment
      I've also heard of mashed potatoes being used for ice cream.

• tradebishop
      tradebishop commented
      Editing a comment
      http://youtu.be/oSd0keSj2W8

A little behind the scenes of McDonald's food photography.

This is a really funny question. And also a sign of the times. Everyone thinks there is an easy button for talent.
    <le sigh>

Comment

Hehe, this is funny, I am just a graphic design learner, and when I googled the question there came up many articles with instructions, I was just thinking to find if there are any professionals here who could give some guide. Mostly I found here are some who don't tell anything but saying it's not an easy task, and some even give some words that no one will feel happy after reading them. If there isn't anything meaningful or useful, please do not reply, thanks!

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        The question is so open-ended that it's a little absurd, every photo presents it's own set of challenges. So I guess the answer is get yourself a solid grasp on lighting, perspective and colour theory and then become intimately familiar with photoshop so you know which combination tools and filters will help you do what you need to do.

I've been manipulating photos professionally for a number of years now, and every now and then I still have to resort to trial and error to find the best method to mend, create, change, add or subtract something in a photo. The keys are being meticulous, paying subtleties there dues, and being relentless in your pursuit of achieving realism.

They're correct though. There's no easy way to force an amateur photo into looking professional. Best to start with a professional setup (with pro behind the lens).

That's not to say that you can't improve on a less-than-stellar photo with some help from Photoshop, but the way to go about that depends on what's wrong with the photo. There are a million things that could be improved with any given photo, so to simply ask how to improve it is about as general a question as one could ask. That's like asking a mechanic, "How do you fix cars?"

Is there something particular you're looking for help with? Color? Composition? Exposure? Depth of field? Focus? Lighting?
      Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

OK, can you show examples of the photos you like?

hard to really understand what you really are trying to get. But yes, mostly you need to start with a good photo to get a good result. There are some "tips" or "tricks" but they can only take a photo so far. bumping contrast/saturation/sharpening/unsharpening/etc. but the key is to start with a good base.

That means lighting, exposure, aperture, etc to get that good base. you need an eye to see what you want to shoot. Shooting in Auto modes is like Consumer Reports, you will never get the "best" but a good middle-road.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

If you are a graphic designer learner - the best answer is to take some classes in photography.

Not digging school - pick up a few books on the subject.

I don't take a lot of photos but proper lighting is key - google some lighting tutorials - that will help make your photos better.
          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some are edited, over painted, or just Raw.

For myself, it has taken about 5 years, over 200,000 photos and three cameras to get me where I really understand what I'm doing. Even then I still play with settings before taking a series of photos. I still don't consider me a professional. Personally, unless I am doing a photo manipulation I try to just use the "dark room" adjustments. Brightness, contrast, and saturation.

What to look for if you are interested in studying?
            A good DSLR
            A book that tells you about the camera and how to take photos with it. (not the manual)
            A book about photography, the nitty gritty of exposure, aperture, f-stop, lighting, and tools and equipment available and how to set it all up.
            A book about photoshop light room, and editing photos in general, and what does HDR really mean.

Then if you are really good and have an eye for it, you may be lucky enough to get that moment and amazing photo.

Comment

@Kemingmatters, Thanks for the explanations and information! I see this is not something I could achieve quickly, but at least I got some idea.

@Virgo Nightingale, Thanks for the explanations and information! I would attach a photo which I took last year, and it doesn't look professional for sure, it's just an example though, I was thinking if I could make it look better

@BJMRamage, ya maybe the question is too wide, I thought there's some way to improve almost all types of photos, but now I got to now for each photos there could be different adjustment or edition.

@MD, ya you are right, I have just been studying here and there, like pieces, not a whole book or something, maybe I better read some tutorial in steps.

@Drazan, I see you are talking about taking photos, I don't have that kind of camera which professional photographers use, I just have my iPhone4 and a digital camera which takes photos in its own, no need to check the focus or anything. I was just thinking to improve the photos through photoshop.

Comment

I'm not sure how to put this lightly, no amount of photoshop is going to make that photo look professional. There's nothing very interesting about it, the angle is normal eye level, the composition isn't planned or interesting, there's not enough contrast to separate the subject from the surroundings, there's no depth... there just isn't any bones to build on.

You don't need a professional camera to take a good photo, you just need to know the theory behind what makes a photo good and be able to apply it.
                Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                  Originally posted by Designia View Post
                  ...or you could just take a bad photos and push them through instagram a couple times
                  It's things like this that I miss about this place... <3
                  Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

My father was famous for his sayings. One of them was "you can't polish a turd". Granted, that may be a little harsh in this case, but the point is valid. Photoshop won't make a bad photo good. Photoshop can enhance a good photo and make it slightly better. Or it can make it worse if you don't know what you're doing.

When it comes to taking good photographs, the piece behind the camera is the only one that really matters.
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Another thing to add is Time of DAY and time of YEAR to photograph things. and yes, your photo attached looks blah to begin with.
                    Do you have an example of a wonderful photo? and maybe try to take something similar and we can help point you in a direction.

PS, you can get stellar photos from an iPhone.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X