This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old thread but why not...

Shoot Raw. It gives you more flexibility in the editing later on.

Do your Photoshop manipulation in the real world! Its done with proper lighting and the different modifiers, gels etc. Dont rely on photoshop too much. The lighting should do the heavy lifting.

I cant remember what Lara Jade said exactly, but it was something like, if youre going to use photoshop? Make it invisible! Sort of like good musical scoring in movies heighten the scenes, but you dont actually notice or hear the music!

For consistency, try to use tripods as much as possible. I sometimes accidentally rock the camera too much and create motion blurs.

If youre shooting Fashion and beauty? Both my Stylist and Photography teachers agreed, the model will do the heavy lifting! Clothes can be ugly, makeup can be ugly, photographer can be an average, the picture will still come out strong if the model is gorgeous and actually has good modeling skills. Some models are gorgeous but not as skilled, thats ok if the Photographer can direct her. So have good subjects!

Less is more in terms of photoshop. I still see this a lot.Especially the Selfies. They'll smoothen their skins, that it looks plastic! You want to leave a few blemishes here and there because you dont want to show that its been retouched.

Comment

I am shooting in 24" shooting tent with Pentax Optio M10 (link below) using Ravelli large tripod, SILK medium tripod and 2 Neewer video lights. The P&S camera is 9 years old and I was told that it's not that camera matters but expertise of photograph and lighting but I feel I need more or less professional camera. I was recently recommended Canon PowerShot G16 and wonder if you think it is good enough for product photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3249864998/pentaxm10

Thanks

P.S. Can't I link to that camera here?
      Last edited by KitchWitch; 04-17-2015, 09:21 AM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

• KitchWitch
        KitchWitch commented
        Editing a comment
        The link feature doesn't work. If you want to post a link, paste it into the body of your comment.

• Momoshy
        Momoshy commented
        Editing a comment
        A bit late but, Have you already bought the camera?
        I just checked and the Canon g16 is around $400, for a little more you could get a Nikon D3200, which is much better or a Canon t5 is also a better option.

@Momoshy No I haven't. I was then thinking about E-PM1 and later was recommended Olympus E-PL5

Comment

I use this site http://snapsort.com/ as reference to chose cameras, its pretty reliable as far as I know.

It always comes down to, how much are you willing to pay, and which camera is the best you can get for that price, of course always having in mind the purpose of the camera.

If you need a professional camera, but dont have so much budget, buy an entry camera, but make it DSLR, or at least make sure it can shoot in RAW format. I myself used a Canon G10 for product photography for a while, because it has RAW.

Another thing, if you do buy a DSLR, remember to buy the correct lens for your job.

ps.- Im no expert, but I somehow enjoy helping people choosing the right camera.
        Last edited by Momoshy; 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM. Reason: added

Comment

simple photoshop

=) hehe
          Last edited by KitchWitch; 06-16-2015, 02:24 PM. Reason: combined two responses

Comment

Hi Jenna and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Using 2 or more lights at the same time is the best way to make your photo a little bit more professional.

Comment

Hi Whatwolf and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This is a really funny question. And also a sign of the times. Everyone thinks there is an easy button for talent.

Comment

Hi Fatima and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This isn't easy to be a professional. It takes too long time. I was like this before. But now seems to me I can do pro job. You'll understand when will be experienced and you'll feel that yeah I'm working like a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by lindavictoria View Post
                        I see some photograph shop online, and their photos look quite stunning and yet unreal, I guess they have done some editing to the photos, am I right? I wonder how to edit the photos in photoshop to make it look professional? Thanks!

Start with a good photo from a good camera, now is a good time to start, Nikon makes excellent entry level DSLR cameras, the D3200 ($300 or so) or 5000 series (another $100) are affordable and will produce good photos, and the lenses are interchangeable in almost all their cameras.
                        Lynda has outstanding photography and photoshop classes. A good camera is an invaluable asset in this business, you would be hard pressed to find a better scanned image than you can get from a decent camera.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                          PrintDriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          you would be hard pressed to find a better scanned image than you can get from a decent camera.
                          Kinda apples and oranges there? The image from a DSLR is a scanned image, whether we like it or not, and is only as good as the receptor in the camera. A drum scan of a 4" color chrome will get you a far better 'scanned' image than you can get on most DSLRs. Too bad film is going the way of the dinosaur. I have one guy left with a drum scanner and one photog that shoots to chrome that I can send out to places for stuff, who charges 4-figures for a half day of work plus processing and travel. For super high resolution digital photos, I had to find someone with a high-resolution scanback and a really high end, non-distorting lens. Again, I have one go-to guy but he only works in-studio. And don't get me started on supposedly 'high-resolution' stock. LOL.

Originally posted by Momoshy View Post
                        I use this site http://snapsort.com/ as reference to chose cameras, its pretty reliable as far as I know.

It always comes down to, how much are you willing to pay, and which camera is the best you can get for that price, of course always having in mind the purpose of the camera.

If you need a professional camera, but dont have so much budget, buy an entry camera, but make it DSLR, or at least make sure it can shoot in RAW format. I myself used a Canon G10 for product photography for a while, because it has RAW.

Another thing, if you do buy a DSLR, remember to buy the correct lens for your job.

ps.- Im no expert, but I somehow enjoy helping people choosing the right camera.
                        Need suggestion. how will you decide which type of DSLR must be purchased depending upon their lens.

Comment

I believe that what makes a photo professional is the effort you put in it. Some images rely on post-processing and that makes it professional in some way or another as it undergoes another process. But basically as a photographer, I believe it is about the relationship you build with your equipment. The more you practice (put time to it) the better you can tweak it to get the result you expect.

Comment

Hi Liz and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X