Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting RAW format...my Experience with it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting RAW format...my Experience with it.

to preface: I have been shooting photos since film days and am on my second DSLR (D7000). I have tried using RAW once before and didn't see the benefits at the time. (they seemed pretty much like the JPGs I was shooting and didn’t understand the post-production aspect of them...was using Photoshop at the time.)

Fast forward to today. I have decided over the past year to take some more “risks” and try different things, one of them was going back to RAW format as many photogs say how awesome it is. My first attempts (month ago) were pretty good. But I was shooting/importing both the RAW & JPG files. I decided for my recent trip to Disney to just force myself into RAW and some manual shooting.

I corrected these RAW images in Aperture. Similar to my method now-a-days for JPG shooting. It seemed to me the import took longer but since I almost ALWAYS edit my photo the post production wasn’t too big an issue.

Anyway, I want to show (sort of) the difference in using RAW vs JPG.
    *for starters, I know that the Original file here is not the same as if it was a JPG Original (JPGs are saved with certain presets from the camera...sharpening, color saturation, etc) but this at least gives you a pretty close idea and knowing that I have shot similar mistakes before with JPG that I can only correct so far before tossing it out. OH, and the shot was taken with 1600 ISO, I think I had it that way the night before and forgot to change it...the next few shots of Spaceshipp Earth I shot at 100 ISO.

OK, so the Original is based off the Untouched RAW file. (this is the BRIGHTEST image)
    Then I corrected the RAW and corrected the JPG (as best I could).
    Normally they say you have better results bringing light into an underexposed RAW file but also have leeway with overexposed shots too.

I was shocked at how much I was able to get out of this shot. especially seeing detail where i thought it was white/overexposed
    And yes, this isn’t the greatest shot or correction but I figured I’d take a stab at editing it anyway.

Original* (based off untouched RAW file, not original JPG)

Edited JPEG "fix"

Edited RAW "fix"

anyway, take what you will from this. I know RAW is not a fix for everything. but it seemed to hold more depth to work with.
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Thanks for sharing!

How is it for file sizes? Did you shoot your holiday in RAW and how many memory cards did you use?

There's great detail in the overblown bits at the top of the sphere in the RAW file.

I haven't played around with RAW. I'm still on my first DSLR Nikon D3000 but I do feel a bit like I have outgrown it. I would like to upgrade one day.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Yeah, I used RAW exclusively for the trip (well, except 2 shots where I accidentally switched to a CUSTOM USER setting I had)

as far as memory cards go...I bought a couple more. I think I had 7-8 cards used. they were all Class 10 or even teh faster U1 models (my camera can use that speed) and varied from 4gb to 16gb cards. I think I have a couple of each 4,8,16 and maybe 4 8gb cards as I realize it is better to have more cards than just 1 large card in case there is an error.

File size is a "killer" it varies like a JPG would but what might be a 2-5MB jpg is close to 18mb. you get a lot more information with it though.

What I did was shoot on the cards and as they were filled (I have 2 card slots and it'll jump to teh next card) I pulled the full card and uploaded to the MacBook (work's!) that I brought along. I did not delete/format the card though, and stuck it upside down in my pocket carry case. This way, if I DID use up all the cards, I could either buy more or format a card. So, currently all my vacation images are still on those cards since I wasn't going to delete until they were sorted/edit/saved to teh personal desktop.

I love my D7k. I suppose MY next step is a Full Frame camera. but for now this is good.
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

Thanks BJ .... that's quite a difference!

Comment

RAW rocks! I've been fiddling with RAW for a few years now, and I gotta say, my messing about with jpegs are a thing of the past. I don't use anything extra (software-wise), I just adjust my RAWs in PS.

Have a play with "color temperature" - you can even pull down "noise" with some fine tuning.
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I've never put the two formats side by side before, interesting share BJ. When you are running two cards, I'm pretty sure you can set one to record in jpg and the other in raw, I've never used the feature but I'm fairly certain I read it somewhere. I tend to run the second card as a backup, for that inevitable bad card, I've lost one vacation's worth of images once and don't really want to do it again.
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes! I've never had a card go bad on me.... just a bit paranoid now...

Yeah, I’ve changed a few photos (mainly of Spaceship Earth) color temps drastically to make the globe change its colors. And used the WB setting, probably Color Temp, to take some dark/bluish fish photos into something closer to normal looking for the fish.

I use Apple Aperture for adjustments

And KM, I’ve thought about using the RAW/JPG 2-card thing but then thought, I always adjust some in post processing, so why not just take the plunge. The way I figure is, if I shot both, I might just revert back but this helps me to really understand RAW better and see what I could do with it. And other than using more cards, and possibly shutting down the older iMac I have with RAW, I really like what you can do. Thankfully I have a work laptop that can handle them easily...just need to be sure and transfer the images OFF of it soon.
            Dribbble Page
            Behance Portfolio
            Linkedin Profile

Comment

• BJMRamage
              BJMRamage commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about buying one before the trip, Pan. BUT that would add to teh cost and I figured buying a few more cards would do the trick too.

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              True dat. More cards, more better! And they're easier to palm than a HD.

• BJMRamage
              BJMRamage commented
              Editing a comment
              and cards are lighter to pack!

Are you shooting with any filters?

Comment

me? if anything it would have been a Polarizer. or UV. but the week of vacation it was so dismal/dreary/rainy that i sometimes just stuck with UV. and for night shots, sometime i used a Neutral Density filter to allow for long-exposure.

Trying to think back to this shot, we had just come off the ride inside the ball, and it was rainy earlier, i might have had the CP on.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

I figured you may have been using a CPol to get that colour out the sky. It sounds like we have a pretty similar kit.

Comment

• kemingMatters
                  kemingMatters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's always safer to bag it lol. I have a propensity to get caught in the rain when I have my gear. I also like to tuck it away quickly when my sticky lens-touching toddler needs my attention which the side load allows me to do. I'm just a hobby shutterbug for the moment, I'm hoping to go back to school soon.

• BJMRamage
                  BJMRamage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ahh, OK. yeah, toddler and baby with me too. The basic strap would end up swinging toward them if I bent down to their level. the Joby Strap/Black Rapid Straps tuck on the side or back easier and stay out of the way.

• kemingMatters
                  kemingMatters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately, that's the roughly space my bag occupies... I can see the merit of the JOBY though.

When my little guy sees the camera, he usually goes straight for it with slimy fingers stretching out for the lens, I'm often glad to have my lens cleaner easily accessible.

nice write up BJ, very informative. I've been shooting RAW for the past few years as well, and the extra file size is worth the detail it holds IMO.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Thanks, Typ.

Yeah, I read lots of articles and only a few said not to bother but most pointed out the advantages. (one article denouncing RAW said the monitors you use don’t allow you too see the extra bits of info...and others said if you get the JPG right, there are no issues).

I am just really amazed at the image that can be recovered and not-too-destructive nature of it. Adjusting White Balance is better as are a bunch of other post-processing stuff. Seeing the above SOTC image I would have considered it a loss with JPG and when I decided to give the RAW file a chance, it really shined.
                  Dribbble Page
                  Behance Portfolio
                  Linkedin Profile

Comment

Hello all. I am trying to get back and more involved on the GDF.

Anyway, I started a Flickr Photoset for my Aperture fixes. Basically showing the Before and After in one cross-cut shot -- these are all based on RAW files from my Nikon D7000.
                    I use Aperture to import my photos and then have been using this almost exclusively for photo-editing.

Here's a few other images (other than the top one above):

Princess Jasmine
                    this image was shot by my wife when Luke and I were on a ride. She told me it looked very dark on the screen...not sure i could do anything to correct it. so i basically bumped the exposure.

Lionfish
                    this image was shot inside a dark room with aquariums. the lighting wasn't great. and kids were running all over so I tried to adjust my White Balance but I didn't get it right and figured I'd adjust it in post-processing.

Purple Flowers at Longwood Gardens
                    I took 5-8 shots of these flowers and already found one I liked best. this was the "second best" of the mix and rather than have 2 very similar shots, I decided to go B&W. I really like the outcome here.

Flickr Album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/369904...7643062534885/

*Aperture is like Lightroom in that it is a Digital Asset Manager (DAM) and uses "smart" corrections that can be added and removed without harm to the actual file...it just builds a preview image and on export it creates the edited file.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

For most people a simple JPEG is all that's needed, For designers, though, the dramatically increased dynamic range of the photos that's mostly invisible until needed is a gigantically huge benefit. It means you can take a terribly underexposed photo and pull out the kinds of detail that are never possible on JPEG-compressed images where that extra data has been thrown away to make the file smaller.

They do fill up a memory card and a hard drive a lot faster, though.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X