My next lens for my Canon 60D, need informed opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next lens for my Canon 60D, need informed opinions

Hello all, I'm looking for my next lense for my Canon 60D, and I've been looking through various sites on the net, visiting camera stores and reading up in the books and I thought that I would post this question here. The lens that I have, is the stock EFS 18-200mm

Which lense would be a priority to have in the camera bag for a graphic artist?

I've been looking at Macro lenses, Telephotos, Primes, Wide angle lenses, but which one would be of benefit to a graphic designers needs. I'll be honest, if I had the money, I'ld purchase them all, but I don't. I will say this, I have been leaning towards purchasing a Prime lense

Please share your opinions, many thanks,

scratchy

What are some scenarios that you will be photographing in?

I have a Nikon which has a crop factor 1.5x. This means that the 35mm lens that I use for almost everything works more like a 50mm lens.

I think a 50mm prime lens is a great starter lens. It best mimics the human eye. Get f1.8 or even f1.4 if you can afford it. The smaller the f setting the better it will be for low light situations. I use it for everything from product shots to portraits. It's not as good for landscapes or architecture, which your 18-200mm kit lens should be better for.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Thanks for the reply Buda. Product shots are certainly what I'm looking at, portraits haven't crossed my mind but now that you mentioned it, it's something to consider. If one where to have a f1.4 would it be pointless to also have a f1.8?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchy View Post
        Thanks for the reply Buda. Product shots are certainly what I'm looking at, portraits haven't crossed my mind but now that you mentioned it, it's something to consider. If one where to have a f1.4 would it be pointless to also have a f1.8?
        Spent some time looking at the specs for the 1.4f, looks like the next addition for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
          I think a 50mm prime lens is a great starter lens. It best mimics the human eye. Get f1.8 or even f1.4 if you can afford it. The smaller the f setting the better it will be for low light situations. I use it for everything from product shots to portraits. It's not as good for landscapes or architecture, which your 18-200mm kit lens should be better for.
          Picked up the f1.4 today and just finished taking it out for a "Test Drive", absolutely lov'n it!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X