Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Print Equivalents and Aspect Ration Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Print Equivalents and Aspect Ration Question.

I have a newbie question. I'm rather ashamed of myself actually, as I've been a long time amateur graphic designer.

Anyway, you're help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a way to figure up photo print sizes so that when I make something a certain size I will know all the equivalent sizes I can order in that aspect ratio. I use AdoramaPix for my photo prints, so it would help to make things in a bigger size, this way I can scale down to print. Always scale down, never up, right.

Anyway, if there some time of list some where that's already made? Or is there a mathematical way to figure this out? I'm terrible at math, btw.

As dumb as it sounds, I just figured I could add an inch to either side and it would scale proportionally. Yeah, that doesn't work. lol.

The specific size I'm wondering about is 11x17, but all your basic print sizes would be helpful.

Thanks again, please don't me too hard on a newbie for asking such a silly question.

Cheers!

Is this an ad for the photo lab you mentioned?
    I didn't check their site but usually an online lab offers a certain size print, in bulk.
    Standard photo sizes depend on the machine making them.
    I could make you a whole bunch of true con-tone photo prints at any size you want on true RGB photo paper that is on 50" x 150feet rolls. I also have a vendor or two with a machine that auto-cuts the roll after printing.

Standard photo sizes used to be in the ratio of 8" x 10" or 4" x 5" or 16" x 20" but I'm not sure that is true anymore as most mini labs will also print to roll stock that is some standard width.

Your best bet is to contact the lab you mentioned and ask if there is an optimal size that works best with the paper they are using.
    If you want your stuff to fit into frames, do some research on what most standard frame sizes are.

I'm not sure I answered your question.

Comment

Hi Adam and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You could get a proportion wheel. Kinda old school, but it works.
        http://www.amazon.com/C-Thru-Proport...oportion+wheel
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not sure I explained the question very well. I'm looking for a way to figure out these aspect ratios.

I'm trying to figure out how is it you figure the next size up that equal inches, or how to figure in my head what size to scale up to. For example. If I'm going to create a series of designs that I want to print 12x18, I would probably make the initial design 16x24 and scale it down. This way I ensure I never scale upward, and I can also offer the same designs in 16x24.

Those two cheat sheets are more than perfect for that I need. My problem is, I have a client asking for something 11x17 and I cant find the equivalent sizes for 11x17 aspect ratio/scale.

I didn't know if someone maybe had another graphic with more sizes listed under their corresponding aspect ratios, or if there was some way mathematically to figure up how to scale.

How this is a little more clear.

Comment

11" x 17" is not a standard photo print size. Neither is 8.5" x 11" which, if you notice is also missing from your posted cheat sheets. You won't get a clean ratio (1.5454545454) for 11" x 17".

Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
              Reply to How they did the drawings like this?
              mixlikes
              For perfect drawing, you need to learn photoshop so that you can give a nice texture to an image. There are lots of tools to edit an image that can be used for many purposes....
              Today, 02:27 AM
            • hank_scorpio
              Reply to I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              hank_scorpio
              Don't have the new mac book pro.

What type of software are you using? Is it specific for the Mac? What type of work are you doing?

Do you really need a Mac? You can put together...
              Today, 12:59 AM
            • Magical Unicorn
              I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              Magical Unicorn
              The laptop I'm writing this post on is *calculating in head* going on 7 years old. It's a well loved 13" white MacBook from when I started high school in 2010. I've vehemently stated that I don't...
              Yesterday, 11:38 PM
            • B
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              B
              As for content, an obvious addition would be the inclusion of several good before-and-after samples of audio that you've cleaned up.
              Yesterday, 06:54 PM
            • RMo
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              RMo
              Hey,

some quick things:
              • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
              • add a favicon
              • there is a massive amount of space after loading
              Yesterday, 03:18 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X