Can anyone enlarge this photo for me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone enlarge this photo for me?

In have a jpg of a hotrod I built several years ago and want to blow it up to 2x6 feet, so I can make a banner with it and put it up in my garage..

As a former sign maker I know a little about file types, etc. 9but I don't know much about Photoshop, etc.) so I found a website where I could convert the jpg into an EPS file, but it didn't work! It converted it, but it was useless as an EPS because it was all pixelated when we blew it up!

Can anyone do this enlargement (Photoshop, etc.) for me, and what would you charge to do it?

HELP!!

Phil in Illinois

unfortunately there is now fancy CSI style enlarge button. Assuming your image is a standard 3" x 5" at 300PPI (optimistically) your output at 2' x 6' is going to be about 20PPI. Even with some Photoshop wizardry the result will look fuzzy at best at any viewing distance under about 20'; in other words, it'll look okay from the driveway, unless you have a really big garage.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Did you talk to the guys making the banner for you?
      When you say your image is a jpg, how big is it really? Is it 3x5 @300ppi?
      And are you cropping a smaller section out of that image?

Don't go to .eps format. That's archaic now.
      But do talk to your banner shop. Depending on what it is, they may be able to enlarge it acceptably. The charge for that work may be minimal.
      But it all depends on the size and resolution of your jpg.
      GIGO rule applies.

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        We're not sure on the size of the original image, I was just using those figures as an example. I guessed at them because the OP gave the impression that it was an older image, so I was thinking in terms of what an average digital camera 10 years ago would likely produce.

Hi Phil and welcome to GDF.

We do not allow requests for free work here. If you would like to hire someone to help you with your file, feel free to post in the Classifieds section.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Yeah, I caught that, but wanted a starting point. If it is an old point and shoot, I don't imagine there will anything there to enlarge.

Comment

• kemingMatters
          kemingMatters commented
          Editing a comment
          that was what I was thinking as well

Originally posted by rodbuilder View Post
        As a former sign maker I know a little about file types, etc. 9but I don't know much about Photoshop, etc.) so I found a website where I could convert the jpg into an EPS file, but it didn't work! It converted it, but it was useless as an EPS because it was all pixelated when we blew it up!

Can anyone do this enlargement (Photoshop, etc.) for me, and what would you charge to do it?
        If you enlarged it once and saw pixelization or blurriness, it's a pretty good indication that there's just not enough information in the jpeg. There's no way to magically create detail that isn't there to begin with. All the enlarging software can do is average things out and use whatever algorithms are available within the program to sharpen up edges and blur out jpeg artifacts.

Comment

If only we had those CSI "can you enlarge that?" equipment. They can make a clear image out of a handwritten sign reversed out in car rear view mirror bouncing off the windows across the street in the skyscraper.

Comment

You can never "enlarge a photo" without loss of imagery. You can not get "Blade runner" type detail without the image being big already. You can purchase this resizing ( I forget the filter program ) for windows that can enhance and enlarge the image. That is about it..

There are ways but the original image will have loss no matter what.

Comment

RodBuilder...
              I am a sign maker, and I do this type of thing all the time for customers. I'll tell the same thing I tell them, send me the file and I'll show you what it will look like. If this is not allowed I apologize but I believe in helping others, as I'm new to this forum I would love to be able to offer any assistance I can. That being said send me the file and I'll let you know what I think can be done with it. No charge to look at it.

Comment

This OP has not been back to the forum since this one post last March.
                Drive by.
                Doubtful you'll be getting any business from this one.

Comment

yea i really should pay attention to dates... lol

Comment

There are many tools to resize an image such as: befunky, picmonkey etc.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                      PrintDriver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Uh huh.
                      They are talking banner as in something that is measured in feet. Not a website banner measured in pixels. Those things are junk.
                      The OP still hasn't been back to visit.

Hi Mix and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
                      Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
                      mixlikes
                      Favorite forum software:
                      1. phpBB
                      2. MyBB
                      3. Vanilla Forum
                      4. XenForo
                      5. Simple Machines Forum
                      Today, 03:43 AM
                    • Caleson
                      Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
                      Caleson
                      Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
                      Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                    • fredz0003
                      Logo critique for my personal blog
                      fredz0003
                      Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
                      Yesterday, 04:57 PM
                    • B
                      Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
                      B
                      Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
                      Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                    • mrturner
                      Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
                      mrturner
                      I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
                      Yesterday, 04:16 PM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X