Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Having an Object In Possession Important Before Retouching It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Having an Object In Possession Important Before Retouching It?

Hey there! I have noticed that some service providers in digital editing that offer retouching just require photos and other claim they need to have an object at hand to properly reproduce and ehance it?

So how important is this? I remember one service provider I inquired required sending them an object for color tones adjustment. They said they are unable to properly reproduce and enhance colors without having object at their posession. Why do you think some people can do it and some cannot? If you look at popular Fiverr there are dozens of service providers from 3rd world countries and most have satisfied feedback. Is it really worth time and money and justifiable to arrange delivery of an object to provider?

Originally posted by StreamImports View Post
    If you look at popular Fiverr there are dozens of service providers from 3rd world countries and most have satisfied feedback. Is it really worth time and money and justifiable to arrange delivery of an object to provider?
    You realize 'satisfied feedback' can be manufactured, right? Are you really determining the quality of work by viewing online feedback?

Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

So how important is this?
      I think it depends on the nature of the retouching. Removing a small blemish from a photo of someone's face isn't a big deal. Adding an object to a photo that wasn't there in the first place might very well be a different. In situations where accuracy trumps aesthetics, that accuracy might require additional reference materials. When aesthetics are more important, artistic liberties might be more acceptable. A retoucher hired to add a palm tree to a beach photo certainly wouldn't require that you send him a palm tree. On the other hand a magazine ad shot with a stand-in ballpoint pen and needing the new pen added to the photo would, of course, require the actual pen for both shooting and reference.

Comment

LOL....
        You consider Fiverr a Service Provider???

The reason a person would need an object to reproduce and enhance it usually means they are setting up the photo shoot, using a RAW format and will add in the proper color/gray bars that allow for proper color correction. Any time I requisition a photo shoot of any kind of object, the color/gray bars go in there, along with a centimeter scale (most of the stuff I deal with is art or artifacts so scale is important.)

The people that just do any old photo taken with any old camera are relying on what they see on their monitor. A good retoucher will have a relatively well calibrated monitor and a proper understanding of color profiles so they can trust their results.

Now, as for Fiverr, do you think anyone who uses that for a retouching service actually cares about the quality of the image product they get back???

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

I think it depends on the nature of the retouching. Removing a small blemish from a photo of someone's face isn't a big deal.
          In my case the retouching I would need will involve several photos of an object which needs contrast and color adjustment. A few on a white background and others on scene, known as "lifestyle photography" for eCommerce catalogue. I have photos in a normal exposure and others are overexposed. In some instances overexposed look better than normally exposed photos. Some photos have good background exposure but objects looks a bit dark, other photos are where object looks good but background is underexposed. So I wanted to hand RAW photos to professional retoucher, who's also photographer in hopes of "normalizing" all the photos as well as adding color adjustment if needs be. I just don't know how what is definition of normal photo because I don't have the "eye" to tell what photo needs to have adjusted.

I think this is subjective and what looks okay to me, will look lacking to you and everyone can always "nitpick" on what needs to be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            LOL....
            You consider Fiverr a Service Provider???

The reason a person would need an object to reproduce and enhance it usually means they are setting up the photo shoot, using a RAW format and will add in the proper color/gray bars that allow for proper color correction. Any time I requisition a photo shoot of any kind of object, the color/gray bars go in there, along with a centimeter scale (most of the stuff I deal with is art or artifacts so scale is important.)
            Fiverr is more of a short-term gig provider unless it's a reputable professional who wants to expand to Fiverr to market themselves and earn customers whom they will eventually direct to their own website. This usually comes at a price of slaving for a cup of Starbucks coffee but that's how you expand you influence. Eventually you get enough business from clients that you no longer need to slave on Fiverr.

In my case I already completed photos DIY style and have a feeling that a couple of things can be retouched like I mentioned above. I could probably use photos as they are but me being perfectionist, I always think there's a room for improvement. Most of photos I tool are RAW but for a few other I forgot to enable RAW mode and have only JPEGs for them. I heard that JPEGs can work too but RAW offers "more depth" to work with (whatever that means).

Comment

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry.
              Working for Fiverr is not ''expanding'' for a reputable professional.
              Any customer looking for design work done for $5 is not worth the time (and slave labor) to cultivate.

As for more "depth" the RAW format is a better format for saving more input information from the camera sensor. JPGs lose information when saved, it's a lossy compression format. You lose color information and detail in the process of making the file smaller.

• StreamImports
              StreamImports commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually Fiverr is no longer about assumption where everything is for $5 only. It now allows customizations and providers can offer their range of packages setting the right expectations. So $50 or $150 client is worth more than $5 client.

Fiverr is more of a short-term gig provider unless it's a reputable professional who wants to expand to Fiverr to market themselves and earn customers
            No, it's not. It's an online venue for amateurs to hawk everything from this to this. (NSFW)
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes one is judged by the company one keeps.
              It isn't always fair.
              But it is so often true.

• calebninja
              calebninja commented
              Editing a comment
              Warning for all who are at work; I would avoid clicking the first this link.

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              And that is indeed why the NSFW (Not Safe For Work) designation.

A $50 or a $150 client is still not worth the time. Maybe I'm just plain wrong in assuming that a designer might actually have some idea of what their skills are worth today. And what marketing essentials are. I pity the clients of any designer that thinks any of the online exploitation sites are a way to ''get their name out there.''

Tell me, would you recommend someone starting up a business to advertise their products on Fiverr?
            How about someone opening a butcher shop?
            A hairdresser?
            An auto mechanic?
            An electrician?

Oh wait. None of those folks are on there offering their services for $5, are they?
            Is there a Fiverr-type site out there for them as well?
            Or do they perhaps know what their professional time and skills and product are worth?

Also, just to be clear, crowdsource work and undirected student freelancing are not considered Job Experience.
            If you want to do it as a hobby, have at it.
            If you want a serious career in graphic design, there are far more productive means to pursue it.

aside: While scoping around I did see some ads for $5 designs for ''print ready'' wide format print files. Where the client is spending at least 25x to maybe 100x that amount for the printed finished product, and using it to represent their business, I hope they are getting their money's worth...

I wonder what poor PSP is having to deal with those.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Well it's obviously not important to you so move on and find a retoucher that doesn't care either.

We are paid to be "nit pickers" and make the product correct. Professionally it is of the utmost importance to make the retouch accurate and not just "normalize" the product. I wouldn't get hired again if I "normalized" a product. I need to be the best and most accurate that I can be.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                That's kinda funny cuz ''normalize'' is a term we use here that means to make sure an image prints properly on any particular machine on any particular media. Mostly refering to flesh tones which like to go nuclear sometimes so you have to ''normalize'' them.

• Kayekaye
                Kayekaye commented
                Editing a comment
                I must have missed Normalize 101

Object in possession means to match the item based off the light. However you should be able to convert the image via lightroom to it's correct value. Unless your going to spend the extra money

Comment

It depends on what the object for retouching is and weather it is colour critical.

For example, I had to retouch a range of jeans. There were about 15 pairs of jeans, all different colours, most of them were dark blue. Each blue was different and it was important that the photos showed the subtle differences.

I had to have the actual products in person otherwise I would never know how to touch up the jeans so that they were as accurate as possible.

But if you're touching up something where colour is not so critical, then it might not be necessary to have the product to match to.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X