Origin of standard focal lengths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of standard focal lengths

Something I've been wondering. There is a fair bit of standardisation of focal lengths and I wondered where it all started. We have 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm. Then there's the zooms, 24-70 and 70-200 being very common. I realise there are many exceptions but I just wondered if there was any particular reason why we've generally stuck to some of the common ones. Why always 28mm and never 27mm or 29mm for example?

Hi Jamie and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I think it has to do with the lens glass.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ic_lens_design
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X