Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Designer needs a Camera

Hello!
    I work at a plumbing distribution company that deals a lot with tubs and faucets these are all a very reflective material that needs high quality images. I've checked out a few cameras but I do not have the greatest knowledge on cameras. I need something relatively cost efficient and will give me great quality for web images. Any advice is appreciated. If you have a camera you would suggest I check out please leave a purchasing link so that I can see it and maybe tell me why you chose that particular camera.
    Thank you!

Hi Cullenb and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hopefully this won't come off as terribly unhelpful.

I won't make a product recommendation because I'm just not a camera buff, but I have supervised many, many product shoots, and I can say getting good shots of tubs and faucets won't be easy with any camera. It's much more a matter of technique than equipment. In fact, the better the camera, the harder it will be to produce what I used to call "the perfect lie." That's how I described making the product look more perfect than it ever did, ever will, or ever could in real life. Cameras simply don't lie. Not at all.

Most of my experience with product shoots involved commercial and residential appliances with outer skins of stainless steel, and many chrome and shiny black enamel features. They were ruthlessly hard to shoot without capturing (and magnifying) smears, smudges, reflections, shadows, etc, Your tubs and faucets will be similar for sure. We'd spend hours prepping the product, making it immaculate. The photographer would take just as much time before the exposure setting and moving lights and diffusers and reflectors, and still did extensive retouching afterward too.

If your question is any indication of your experience with photography, I'd submit that you don't need a camera; you need a photographer.

Don't the manufacturers provide your product shots?
      Coming to you from sunny America, where freedom, solvency, and now the presidency,
      are all unsurreptitiously counterfeited for your entertainment.

Comment

I think the limiting factor here will not be the camera – it will be your photographic knowledge, lighting and studio experience as well as image processing and retouching skills using software such as Photoshop / Camera RAW or Lightroom. Like HB says, shooting faucets, tubs, any reflective objects are not exactly the easiest thing to photograph (I have had experience with it too).

As far as cameras, even a relatively low cost entry to mid range DSLR can do an acceptable job for your purposes (i.e. web use) in the hands of an expert photographer and a suitable lighting & studio set up.

The cameras I have had plenty of experience with and can recommend:
        (entry level) Canon 700D (under $1k with kit lens)
        (pro / prosumer) Canon 5DMKIII (around $2.5 - $3k body only).
        Last edited by Pavlo; 03-22-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I bought a Canon 5d body ten years ago that I still use, so I can't recommend a newfangled model. Good lenses make a huge difference in photo quality. For Canon, that's the "L" series lenses. If you shoot anything about the size of a hand, you'll probably need a macro lens too. Reflective objects can be time-consuming to prep so you don't get hot spots or reflections of yourself or things in the room appearing on the object. At minimum you should consider 2 strobes with umbrellas and a light tent.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I went with the cannon T6 rebel, got a great deal with a whole kit included. As far as the actual photoshoots go, I understand it will be challenging but I've already done most of our inventory with my android phone camera, but may redo them depending on how much quality difference there is. phone is 16mp at max with the cannon is 18mp. I understand theres a lot of questioning if I need to hire a photographer but I can assure you since the day I decided I was an artist I've focused on every focal point there is (including photography). I have no doubt I can provide the same quality as ANY photographer around here.

Comment

Canon T6 rebel is good value option for beginners and has a reasonable price.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seedpress
                ICC Profile that Won't Soft Proof?
                seedpress
                Recently I contacted a printer manufacturer to request ICC profiles for their printers.

Here's what they wrote:
                Our graphic workflow uses ICC profiles when converting and preparing...
                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
              • Jeohs1111
                Logo Design for Sports Conpany
                Jeohs1111
                I am searching for a web designer to create a logo for a Combine and Showcase for high school athletics.
                The website will also feature athletic training and youth camps.
                The name of the organization...
                Yesterday, 07:30 PM
              • Protagonist
                Reply to two posters
                Protagonist
                The color balance is off on the two right side characters in the Hannibal poster. It looks like you tried darkening the images with a curves adjustment which introduced a lot of noise and turned them...
                Yesterday, 01:28 PM
              • B
                Reply to CMYK - black and white?
                B
                Four-color process will give you a richer-looking print than the flat and sometimes lifeless look of a B&W halftone. As pointed out, though, even the slightest variation in ink densities will noticeably...
                Yesterday, 10:53 AM
              • hectorclark
                Reply to two posters
                hectorclark
                Hey, It's really creative works. Best wishes for you. Carry on....
                04-29-2017, 01:05 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X