X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject with Lazy Eye

I'm having a tremendously difficult time taking pictures of a client who is very sensitive about her lazy eye showing up in corporate headshots. It's kind of a pain to figure out what to do, since i'm really not an excellent photographer. Currently I'm lighting the space very brightly and taking high speed shots in continuous mode while she looks up from her feet to the lens or over her shoulder to the lens (as per her reccomendation), but even the slightest amount of eye misalignment and she'll just nix the job before I finish loading it into photoshop. Her lazy eye is fairly severe, but I don't want to resort to Photoshopping in case I need to take other pictures in the future. I don't want to make her extremely uncomfortable and self-conscious with the process, so I'm hoping someone has some tips on shooting subjects with a lazy eye. It's really frustrating.

-Jon

How about a side profile?

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I used to shoot a fiddle player who was severely cross eyed. He either wore sunglasses, did a side shot, did an over the shoulder or just looked cross eyed. The bottom line is that everyone already knew he was cross eyed, so there was really no sense in trying to cover it up. But we did. I feel for you. Perhaps take a shot of her looking down at the camera instead of up. That way the other eye will just come down and there will be no need for compensation. She could lean her hand on her cheek (sort of in a fist position) so that if it did look a little awkward then it could be attributed to her hand rather than her eye.
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

How come you don't want to photoshop it?
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I dont think the person will let them photoshop it. Plus one rule of thumb I learned is that when someone has an identifying characteristic like a mole or a lazy eye like that it is best left alone. Mostly because people already know its there and would look even harder and longer at something if it feels off.
          Man who farts in church, sits in own pew.

Comment

Actually, I think he/she doesn't want to Photoshop it because of future pictures, at least that's what the OP said.

Orka she seems fairly forthright about her lazy eye, I can see why she wouldn't want it captured for posterity, but she also seems to have some ideas about what you can do to compensate.
            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Yeah I was looking more for photographic coaching than photoshopping an eyeball in alignment with another - talk about intensive, laborious photoshop work per capture, not to mention I think she'd be extremely weirded out. Who knows what kind of pictures she'll want later on. It's tough, because a few publications and security card makers don't allow side profiles. I'll have to figure out which way her weaker eye naturally points and get the other to do the same. She may be looking off camera, but at least it won't get rejected for articles, security and other mugshot loving industries. :P Her idea of looking in one direction quickly doesn't seem to work well enough for her own standard.

-Jon

Comment

???
                Attached Files
                Me, drunk? i have only had tee martoonies!

Comment

Shoot her in a pirate theme, then you can ask her to wear an eye patch and say Arghhh!

Is it really noticable in photos? I would think that from an angle, it woudn't really show up anyway.
                  Marketing tips

Comment

omg, I read "shoot her" and started laughing. I need sleep.
                    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by EC
                      omg, I read "shoot her" and started laughing. I need sleep.
                      Yes you do.
                      it's deadline and I'm GROUCHY.

Comment

Well, I guess that's one way to solve the problem
                        Marketing tips

Comment

We're talking about corporate head shots here - not portraits. Many of the aforementioned ideas aren't going to work.

As for a reaslistic solution? Find a lazyeye fetish organization that promotes the sexuality of a singular lazy eye, and boost her self-confidence by enrolling her without permission.

Err...

Seriously I have no clue.
                          design is the best way to touch strangers without getting arrested for it - ben ramsey

Comment

Hello my name is Forest Whitaker, You may remember me from terrible movies such as, Species, Battlefield Earth, and Ghost Dog - The way of the Samauri.

As you may or may not know I have a condidtion called strabismus or "lazy eye". In all of my years of being a "B" list movie star I have found different ways to counter my lazy eye and make me a whole lot less creepy looking. Check out the attached images of this lazy eyed celebrity whore - Paris Hilton.

As you can see she has a creepy lazy eye in the above picture....but put here in her signature pose and....

lazy eye is gone!!!

Is it voodoo - nope just good photography, the best way to learn is from the professionals. Just do a google image search of me or other lazy eyed celebrities to see how our creepy afflication is handled.

Good Luck Mr. Screeming Trees.
                            - Forest Whitaker -
                            Last edited by Forest_Whitaker; 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Twogun you are a stitch ...... and Forest nice to meet you .... now I can say I have met a celebrity

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X