This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ckret,
    Those are great! I really like the 2nd one, and I'm kinda like Bladez, I hate you (but I wish I was your neighbor ). Btw, you should check out Chase Jarvis' blog, he's got an Iphone app that's pretty cool, and there's also an entire book shot exclusively with his Iphone
    http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/
    What others think of you is none of your business

Comment

Just spotted this thread. Some great pics.

I live in a mountain town in the Balkan mountain range. Here's a couple of pics I took walking back home from the town centre this morning (about 10 minutes away!):

Comment

Love the random horse on the side of the road Such an uncommon sight to see in a city/town, especially in north america. (Unless you're in Calgary during stampede week)
        Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
        | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
        | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Okay, guess I better pitch in too.

The backyard, the Bruce Trail (runs right behind our town), and the Lake Ontario park which is a 5 minute stroll from home.

Ironman? The public library/art gallery -- where my wife works. It's a beautiful place, and I feel fortunate to be so close to all this.

Comment

Awesome Broacher!
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I love the twisty branch Broacher. Very cool!
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Wild grape vine, actually. They grow pretty big up here. I live on the lakeshore area just below the escarpment. This 'peninsula' in Niagara sits between two great lakes (Erie and Ontario) which moderates our seasons substantially. Add the sheltering effect of the escarpment, and you have the perfect microclimate for one of the best grape (and many other plants) growing spots east of the Rockies. The Niagara Escarpment lands here are one of the last remaining areas of 'Carolinian forests' in Canada. Unfortunately, they're also under tremendous pressure to be totally 'developed' by real estate, urban expansion -- and the gravel limestone industry which is slowly and surely disassembling the whole thing, trucking off the remains, and leaving huge holes where there used to be natural beauty (surrounded by tree-filled artificial berms to hide the nasty loss of scenery, of course).

Comment

wow... a grape vine. Neat.
                  I have had Niagara wine and it is definitely awesome. interesting info there Broacher. Thanks!
                  I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Bulgariacalling, wonderful shots. What a wonderful area you are in. The horse shot is great, but I really just kinda like the view and the colors in the first one. Broacher, it's about time you showed up . Great shots. I really like the ironman one. Thanks for jumping in guys .

Comment

This is prolly one of the worst pictures I've ever taken (Not. I've taken a lot of really bad pitchers ). It is horribly executed, but in my defense, we don't get a lot of snow aroung here, and, it was just so damn cute . And, it was shot thru the patio door of my apartment, so it is well within 10 mins. from home

Comment

K.
                        So here's another shot from today (I feel the need to re-iterate that we don't get a lot of snow 'round here) .

Comment

LMAO I heard about all the snow you guys got! With that much snow you could be classified as a Yankee

... and I hope you told that kid to pull up his pants ... gawd that drives me bonkers

It's cute to see the babies out in snow though .. that was probably her first snow storm

Comment

OK,
                            Here's another thread my lame butt started and then neglected. Hope it's ok to post a bunch of picthers to maybe help me catch up. New project I'm workin' on for a local paper about the homeless communities in our area. These are more like scouting pics, done with a Canon G-11 hoidy-toidy point and shoot, and everything is strait out of camera. Will go back and shoot some of them again later. These are all in fact, 10 minutes from where I live... as I mentioned, there a lot of them

About 300 yards from the entrance to a homeless camp

About 200 or so yards from the entrance to the homeless camp

The view from about 75 yards walking in

The canopy that covers the living quarters

The living quarters (the tires in front are good for burning when it's cold)

More stuff to burn when it's chilly at night

You have to be careful to wear shoes when you go outside

The view leaving this particular homeless camp.

Last edited by redneckrodney; 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Nice photo essay Rodney!

We've had some photo essays in the paper here recently...the city's getting ready to fill in an old railroad tunnel under downtown STL. As a matter of fact, the trains that ran on its tracks used to deliver spools of paper to that self-same newspaper. The tunnel had become a resting place for some of our city's homeless, but it's crumbling and has become unsafe, as has the street above it.

Final "eviction" notices have been delivered this week, but it's become a flashpoint issue for a local reverend who works with the homeless. There were only about a half-dozen people left living in the tunnel until he found out about the evictions, and he has apparently moved another couple dozen folks in...

Don't get me wrong, I have compassion for those being evicted. Hell, if I lost my job I'd be about 6 months away from being on the streets myself. I have a problem with their situation being politicized.

That's why I appreciate the respectful approach in your photography.

Oh, and here's one link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...9?OpenDocument
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I was thinking of this thread the other day actually...keep meaning to get out and get some shots for it, but never actually get around to it. However, I did get a couple of shots for my photo blog that were just behind my apartment complex that would qualify.

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                                | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                                | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clinton78
                                  One off off-set lithographic Print?
                                  Clinton78
                                  Hi guys,

I have a situation where I need to commercially print illustrations that are coloured entirely in black. It's basically realistic aircraft illustrations and the aircraft are painted...
                                  Today, 11:11 AM
                                • Craig B
                                  Reply to Style of Font
                                  Craig B
                                  To expand a little on what B said. Those monograms were hand created. They weren't just a font, and there's no software that will automatically squeeze them into a shape like that....
                                  Today, 11:00 AM
                                • Craig B
                                  Reply to Vector art blurry when posted to social media!
                                  Craig B
                                  Not sure where you got those sizes. I would try this always up to date google doc with various social media pixel sizes.
                                  Today, 10:58 AM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to What makes this ad. design awesome?
                                  PrintDriver
                                  As B noted in his 2nd post,

So without doing the research involved in creating an ''awesome'' ad campaign based on your needs, in your particular location, and one that works with your particular...
                                  Today, 10:30 AM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                                  PrintDriver
                                  The designer may own the rights to the design, but they may not own the copyright on any photos or copywriting used in the design or any trademarked logos. In cases where there is client supplied content,...
                                  Today, 10:22 AM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X