Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    garricks
    That's exactly the method we use to prepare our slides, like a billboard.
    Today, 11:49 PM
  • wikster63
    Creating an Image for a car sticker
    wikster63
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've got a quandary on my hands and was hoping someone could shine some light on this for me. Attached is an image of a car, please see it for this question. My client...
    Today, 10:27 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    <b>
    Are you the designer, the printer, the merchant or all of them? A designer doesn't typically base fees on the number that will be printed. A printer, on the other hand, does do that. Even when a designer...
    Today, 10:23 PM
  • cdgc
    Retail vs Contract Pricing
    cdgc
    Looking for some input on this matter.

Many years ago we published a map for railroad enthusiasts that was 1/1 black and folded several times into 3.5" by 9". Nothing all that...
    Today, 09:28 PM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    Kayekaye
    Better photo, but flip it so the eye travels left to right. Having on the left side it kind of stops the eye there.

Have you not learned about line lengths? This is about 88 characters long....
    Today, 09:14 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1
    what was it that bothered you RNR?

Comment

• and Kitty I love that ducky! Can I use these pics for a painting?

Comment

• Garricks, that's exactly one of the things that bothers me about this pic. I saw what was happening and photographed it, then it dawned on me what was going on and I stopped it. I'm a smoker myself, but I never, ever smoke around the boy. It bothers me that I took the time to make a snap.
        What bothers me even more is that if this child wasn't mine to raise, I'd be pretty happy with this pic. What I mean by that is, if I were assigned a story on the effects of second hand smoke or something like that, I probably would have been happy with this photo as a starting point, and would have worked the situation for all it's worth. This really bothers me, the fact that when it's someone else, it would have been ok, but when it's personal, maybe not so much. I dunno.
        Again, maybe I'm overthinking things, but would like some other opinions to help me sort this out.
        What others think of you is none of your business

Comment

• Sounds kind of normal to me RNR.. I mean if we were to take on what goes down in the world and get upset about it, life would be pretty grim. I think people take care of their own little circle, more than that is overwhelming. That's just the way it is.
          Look at Africa, the Middle East, slaves everywhere, all the Eastern European women lured to Western Europe and turned into prostitutes... cigarettes are fairly harmless in light of all that.
          ...and if it was my little boy people were fumigating with their second hand smoke I'd be up in arms.
          But Rodney it is so obvious that you love that boy in spades, you are giving him the most essential thing a child needs, what a whole lot of kids don't get. I hope you're not beating yourself up for him inhaling a little smoke before you stopped it.

Comment

• This is an awesome idea. Love the pics. I've gone through some of them! Haha. There are so many though! The monkey pictures is phenomenal. Great depth. I love it. Those mansion houses shot by Red Kittie Kat (within the first few pages of the thread) were amazing. I loved the yellow house. I'll be sure to take up my Nikon again (it's been a while) and take some shots as now it's getting warmer out, but for now I'd to share these 2 pictures.

I actually wanted to get a ferret at one time last summer. Almost did too, however my cat prooobably wouldn't of liked that too much. One day I'd like to have a ferret though.

This is my backyard of one of my homes. You didn't say which home if you had multiples I had to choose.

And at the beach from the other. I'm less than a 5 min drive from the beach, which is a great set up for the hot summers!
            Last edited by ambrelasweb; 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM. Reason: Added images.

Comment

• Rodney - Taken at face value that is a great pic. Like Rachel said, I think we tend to think about things more when people we know and care about are involved.

Ambrelasweb - Welcome and great pics. I'm curious about the horse. Did someone make it?

And here are some from me. Checked out the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot this weekend. Playing around with aperture...

"It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

• Just a couple more...

An escapee from the butterfly garden. I'm glad I found him. I can never get shots like this inside the garden....

And finally, just for fun

"It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

• Wow. My eyes are full of all-natural saturation. =@.@=

Comment

• Thank ambrelas

Great shots to both you and Miss Disney

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• Rodney, you know I'm a huge fan of your work, so please don't think too harshly of me...

When you said "there's something off about this photo" I thought, yep - I know what it is. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think having your son in the photo is screwing with the composition and the story. As I was scrolling down, I saw 2 people and subconciously asked myself "ooh, this looks interesting..." and then I saw Royce and it kind of took some of the impact away.

I don't know - it's hard to explain - but it's a different feeling to the whole 'smoking around kids' thing which others have mentioned. I think the photo would have looked better without him. It would have given the photo a more candid/voyeuristic feeling.

But again, what do I know?!!! (This is why I never comment in the crit-pit).

In other news, I took a trip back to the underpass near me. I'd walked through it after a rain storm to find a large puddle and the reflections caught my eye. I'm still not sure the camera has caught exactly what I saw though...

Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

• ooh, PS. Kittie, I never commented on your photos of the lake. Sorry about that. Great photos (you have a good eye) but my favourite one is the duck on the sandbar.

PPS. Disney - great photos as well. Beautiful flowers and the butterfly shot is wonderful - really well composed.

PPPS. Ambrela - I'm loving the shot of the horse in the garden, nice use of depth of field.
                        Last edited by doctorfoz; 04-17-2012, 10:10 PM. Reason: amnesia
                        Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorfoz View Post
                          In other news, I took a trip back to the underpass near me. I'd walked through it after a rain storm to find a large puddle and the reflections caught my eye. I'm still not sure the camera has caught exactly what I saw though...

What it caught is pretty good.

Comment

• Thank you everyone for the compliments. I can't tell you how much better that make me feel about the photos. I'm still trying to learn how to use aperture settings.

Originally posted by doctorfoz View Post
                            PPS. Disney - great photos as well. Beautiful flowers and the butterfly shot is wonderful - really well composed.
                            That was truly a I-don't-want-miss-this-moment shot where I wasn't really thinking about composition, so I appreciate that you noticed it.

Comment

• Thanks Fozzie darlin xx

I love your shot too

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• "My recipe for dealing with anger and frustration: set the kitchen timer for twenty minutes, cry, rant, and rave, and at the sound of the bell, simmer down and go about business as usual." Phyllis Diller

Disney, thanks, and I pretty much agree with what you've said. I have a double standard. I'm gonna have to be ok with that. If I'd walked up on this scene and snapped the pic of some folks I didn't know, I'd be ok with it. Fact is, it's Royce, so it's not ok.
                                Foz, thank you again. A lot of nice words that I surely do not deserve. Great shot too. I really like this one. I may have said this before, but, I believe it was Ernst Haas (great photographer, btw) who said "Reflections make you all too soon a genius" . Check out some of his work, I think you'll really like it.
                                Thanks to all for putting up with me while I worked this out in my simple lil' old mind.

What others think of you is none of your business

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X