Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    KitchWitch
    Hi EmberMike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on Avatars
    KitchWitch
    If you read the original post, you'll find, "The function that allows avatars to be uploaded broke a few weeks ago for unknown reasons." There's a workaround posted in comment #6 you can try....
    Today, 01:39 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Omar and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:35 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Getting started...
    KitchWitch
    Hi rtk3tt and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • BJMRamage
    Comment on Christmas cards
    BJMRamage
    yeah, we had photos taken in October...just waiting on the pics from the photographer.
    Today, 01:24 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a camera

Hello
    I am a graphic design student in NYC. I just finished my sophomore year. For the future school years, I want to buy a DSLR camera but I don't have any clue what to buy. Since Brand new cameras are ridiculously expensive, I am planning to buy a second hand one from Adorama.

So what's good to get?

Personally I like Canon DSLR's but really it's a personal preference. I went towards cannon because I already had several canon lenses. My advice is to go to the store and try them out. I know the B&H store in Manhatten will let you try them.

I liked the Canon D30, they might have some used for a great price. I used one at The Picture People during the xmas holidays when I was trying to earn some extra spending cash. We have a Hasselblad at work but they are never cheap, even used.
    *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Canon and Nikon have good entry level bodies and a great selection of lenses to grow into. It becomes more of a Mac vs. PC issue on preference, just go with what you feel more comfortable with (or if you have a friend that already has some equipment it might be good to go the same route if you ever want to share gear).

Canon entry level (rebels) auto-focus with all lenses, where as Nikon entry levels (d40) only focus with lenses that have a built in motor (more expensive), BUT you can use a lot of old manual focus lenses on Nikon (an adapter would be need on canon).

Sony and Olympus are becoming pretty solid choices anymore now too, but Canon and Nikon have a greater selection of lenses.

If you can find a photography group in your area it might be good to pick the brains and see if you can handle some of their equipment There's a lot of info out there so it's easy to get bogged down, so find something you like and go for it.
      Keep firing @$$holes!

Comment

Buy what you are comfortable with!

I'm a Nikon girl and the times that I haven't bought Nikon (point and shoot), I've regretted it. I'm sure it would be the same if I were a Canon girl.

I bought my first DSLR at the end of the last and I'm having soooooo much fun with it. I bought mine brand new for about $600-700US which was the Nikon D3000. Comes with a lens that I'm pretty happy with. Great entry level camera that's only a little more expensive that your more expensive point and shoot cameras.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by ca32538 View Post
          Hello
          I am a graphic design student in NYC. I just finished my sophomore year. For the future school years, I want to buy a DSLR camera but I don't have any clue what to buy. Since Brand new cameras are ridiculously expensive, I am planning to buy a second hand one from Adorama.

So what's good to get?
          Adorama does have a student discount programme.....

Comment

A friend who is a pro photographer raves about his Pentax. They made great film cameras and their glass is great.

If you want to save $ think about something other than a Canon or Nikon. Get as much mega pixel as you can afford.
            God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Comment

Hi
              I was going to ask the same question. Coming back into photography after 5years and coming into DSLR is intimidating I have to 'relearn' photography from a photographers eye and not from the design side. I still love film though - I want my B&W dark room.
              But a friend recommended Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR & Nikon D5000 Digital SLR I was leaning towards Nikon what do you think?
              Creativity begets more creativity

Comment

It comes down to how does the camera feel in your hands? How easily can you navigate the controls? (e.g. Minolta has never made sense to me, are they even in business any more?) and finally, what camera does your best buddy have? (so you can buy different lenses.)
                God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirell Nutkin View Post
                  (e.g. Minolta has never made sense to me, are they even in business any more?)
                  They merged and are now Konica-Minolta. I own a Minolta SLR and loved it. Haven't used it recently though.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by Klavzz View Post
                    Hi
                    I was going to ask the same question. Coming back into photography after 5years and coming into DSLR is intimidating I have to 'relearn' photography from a photographers eye and not from the design side. I still love film though - I want my B&W dark room.
                    But a friend recommended Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR & Nikon D5000 Digital SLR I was leaning towards Nikon what do you think?
                    Have you had either Canon or Nikon before? What did you think of them? Best to go with what you are familiar with.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I have been using a Nikon D100 (not mine) I like it (- but its heavy). Thats why I was leaning towards that even though its more expensive. I feel comfortable with Nikon - but I was told that Canon in some areas was better than Nikon.

Hey Squirell - my last camera was a SLR Minolta Maxxum 7 and it wasnt too bad. I still have it, its like new.

Comment

Not knocking Minolta users, just saying the interface wasn't intuitive in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                          They merged and are now Konica-Minolta. I own a Minolta SLR and loved it. Haven't used it recently though.
                          ...and they have now sold all their camera assets and factories to Sony, and pulled out of that market altogether as of 2006 (Konica-Minolta still produces things like printers).

I also had a Minolta SLR, and loved it. My baby was the SR-T100, which was a die-hard fully manual camera, and worked like a dream. Well, it was great for the time, but doesn't compare to the functionality of my digital cameras.

Sony used Minolta design and even Minolta factories and parts to create their first Digital SLR, the Sony Alpha. That name was already in use by Minolta in Asia for its last film-based SLR line, known as the Maxxum in North America, Dynax in Europe, and Alpha in Asia and Japan. As such, Sony bodies use the Minolta A-Mount for their newer lenses, so if you love Minolta glass you should consider a Sony body. Of course, you won't be able to mount an old SR lens on an A-mount, but I'm sure you can easily find an adapter.
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yeah I realized that they were no more when I started my search.

Some good points to consider thanks Ned.

Comment

I wonder if the OP remembered that they joined and asked this question?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X