Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    Lol, yeah, you have one minute to get as many as you can . But I'm not surprised the cookies won. The always wi..*nom* *nom* *nom*.
    Today, 09:52 PM
  • Ryukori
    Hello GDF
    Ryukori
    Hello everyone, I'm from Canada and I've been completing graphics requests for over 3 years. I mainly use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software.
    Today, 09:33 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    <b>
    You know, I wouldn't really consider it a complete loss. Looking back, I made some mistakes early in my career that cost me money. At the time, I was upset, but the money I've saved by heeding what I...
    Today, 09:25 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Logo forum graphic design
    creare

is true , thanks...
    Today, 09:18 PM
  • MimiMisu
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    MimiMisu
    I think it's obvious everyone thinks I should move on and that's what I'll do; maybe karma will get him someday, haha
    Thank you for the replies, guys!...
    Today, 08:58 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iStock Credits and Purchases

I am working on a poster project and we have chosen seven images from iStock to use. For all seven images, the total credit amount is 165. iStock sells credits in blocks of 120, then 300. I'm thinking I should buy the 120, then go back and buy 50 more so I end up saving money by not buying the 300 package. But it seems too easy, like they would have thought of that.

The break would work. Five of the images add up to exactly 120 credits. The other two would leave me with an extra 5 credits (instead of an extra 135). I know you are only supposed to purchase images you are going to use (no stockpiling), so it makes sense to buy an amount as close to what I actually need as possible.

What am I missing? Is there a limit to purchases? One a day? Or will my idea work?

Thanks!
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Yep you can do that way Kitch.

There is only a time limit that any credits you purchase must be used within one year or you loose them.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Only buy what you need. There are no limits on purchases. The only limit is as Audentia said, that they expire in 1 year.

Comment

You made my day, Aud, thank you!
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
          I know you are only supposed to purchase images you are going to use (no stockpiling)
          Where did you get that?
          I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

istock would love you to stockpile. Then you would be buying images that you might not ever use!

We estimate how many credits we will use up in a year and go for that package. I just used our last 15 credits for the year. Woohoo! Now I can go and buy some more
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
              istock would love you to stockpile. Then you would be buying images that you might not ever use!

We estimate how many credits we will use up in a year and go for that package. I just used our last 15 credits for the year. Woohoo! Now I can go and buy some more
              I have a feeling the OP is confusing subscriptions with credits.

Comment

Originally posted by JMV Design View Post
                Only within the body of the post. Kitchwitch and I discussed both options today. She was considering a subscription vs. buying credits project by project.

I've never used a credit-based service, so I was the one that was confused about buying credit blocks.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I've only ever used credit based service. If you have subscription Garricks, do you have subscriptions with all the royalty free sites? Or just 1?
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

We have a subscription with the company that bought Jupiter images. It covers several of the royalty-free companies like bananastock, and even some Getty. Each licensed seat is allowed 25 downloads per day, but stockpiling is not allowed per the EULA. It works out pretty well for us.
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I use a site like that, probably the same one, with up to 25 images per day. I didn't know about the stockpiling thing though. Plus I don't see the problem, if I've paid for the subscription why can't I download my 25 images every day?
                      Not that I've ever done that but I have thought I should, just finding the time is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig_H View Post
                        if I've paid for the subscription why can't I download my 25 images every day?
                        Read the site's End User License Agreement (EULA). With the EULA for the site we use, you're allowed to search and download pictures you might use for a project, and you're allowed to keep them for future use, but just downloading 25/day willy-nilly against "future use" is not allowed.

If you did d/l 25 per day on a one-year subscription, you'd have a neat little library of 9,125 photos. You could then potentially cancel and continue to use those photos for 10, 15, 20 years. If that were allowed, you can bet the subscription would cost substantially more.

Comment

I spose that is fair enough. I bet more people would do it if it didn't take so much time. It would take me ages to think of and then download 25 images that I might need. Plus I would run out of ideas after a week or so I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JMV Design View Post
                            I do understand the stockpiling rule applies to subscriptions for the most part. My question was (poorly worded, sorry) - if I only need 165 credits but the closest credit package is 300, does that qualify as potential stockpiling? How close do they watch? I'm working in a department that has all of three stock photo CDs that we've used to death. I could easily find 25 images a day that we could use and build a nice stock library. A one year subscription that I use to its fullest would be great, but the EULA says nay nay. Confusing.

Thanks to all who answered.
                            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You can do it that way. However, why don't you try-out other royalty-free stock company? Most of them having roughly the same content, the price might be much more cheap than istock.

To my understanding, shutterstock is having the 7th year anniversary celebration while 123rf is having their 5th year anniversary celebration. You can compare the prices and make your decision.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X